AdamH - 3.0R Customer Satisfaction

Postby west_minist » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:20 pm

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=463

Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 12:26 AM
To: Xtreme Racing Tuning
Subject: RE: Customer Feedback

Hi Edward,

Sorry for the delay on this.

I can definitely notice a big difference after the tune. Bottom end torque has picked up significantly and throttle response and gear changes are much better. Feels like a different car. Service was fantastic and very flexible with the times which we could work on tuning the car. Feedback was given and adjustments were made until I was happy with the way it performed. Overall very good value for money. Highly recommended.

Thanks.

Best Regards
AdamH
west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

Miss post

Postby west_minist » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:12 pm

Miss post
Last edited by west_minist on Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
west_minist

BenI - 2008 ADM Subaru Legacy 3.0R Spec B 5EAT - Tuning

Postby west_minist » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:13 pm

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=482

Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 8:23 AM
To: west_minist
Subject: v3

I cannot recommend Edward’s (XRT) tuning service highly enough. He has taken my stock H6 3.0 Liberty (auto) to a whole new level, it drives like a completely different car. More torque, more response and more power. I was a having a few troubles getting the tuning working at first as I was not familiar at all with the Tactrix Cable and software used but Edward took all the time needed to ensure I was brought up to speed with how to use it and get it working. Ed is a great guy, always quick to respond and continuously works with you and your queries the entire way through. I am up to version three of the tune on my stock ride and each new version saw great improvements after Ed makes the necessary adjustments. A special thanks goes to Ed for the improvement in the reduction of throttle lag. One of my biggest issues with the car was the throttle lag in the Auto gear box. Before the tune, when i put my foot down it took a few seconds for the car to respond with the power. I told Ed my concerns and he has managed to significantly reduce this throttle lag. There is almost no lag whatsoever now, especially when I’m in sport # mode using the tiptronic controls, its just amazing how much performance the stock car provides. After having my car tuned by Ed my advice is GET YOUR CAR TUNED! The factory tune does not do these engines/cars justice and Ed will prove that to you!

I will be installing a Raptor Header system on my H6 in a few weeks following Ed’s recommendation and I am looking forward to see what gains Ed will be able to come up with through tuning once they are installed.
west_minist

DonaldB - 2005 USDM Subaru Outback 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Postby west_minist » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:48 pm

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/new ... &p=1117377

cracklincrotch wrote:So for the last few days I've been working with Ed @ Xtreme Racing Tuning. Got a engine log sent off to him and he asks me,"When was the last time I had the engine serviced?" So I listed off what I've done and when since getting the car. When I woke up this morning I'm thinking to myself that Ed is going to tell me I need new spark plugs.

I came close to changing them a bit more than a month ago. The car had 138,000km on it when I bought it so they should have been changed at 100,000km/60,000mi. So I bought plugs just in case mine appeared as if they hadn't been changed. I took one plug out and I thought it was fine. I showed it to a couple of mechanic friends and they both said it was fine and to put it back in. I returned the new plugs - they were $18.50 plus tax at the dealer. They were going back at that price if I didn't need them.

So back to the engine log. Ed tells me my 3.0R is running between 190-200HP and I'm no more than 175ft-lbs at the wheels. I'm using ethanol-free 91 AKI Esso gasoline. I went over some of the log yesterday afternoon and I half looked at the IAM and thought that at .4 it was a little low. Anyway, here's the link to the engine graphs:

Dealer has the best price around on the NGK ILFR6B plugs. $18.50ish plus tax = $21.28 each times six = $127.68.

No wonder the gas use is nasty. Sure the car wants to take off when I floor it. But apparently I've yet to feel it "take off!" And it's -10C and I have no garage to work in. At least there's no snow on the ground here and the engine will be warm after buying plugs :D

cracklincrotch wrote:I'm still giggling when I punch the gas either way! :D

cardoc wrote:Makes you wonder why Subaru didn't just make it that way from the factory, eh?

cracklincrotch wrote:It's been a week and I'm about to flash v6 from Edward this morning.

When you figure that the car I drive (and every other ECU controlled car) went through 1000s of hours of development, what's another week?

This far into the tune I swear the car is telling me "C'mon! C'mon! Let's go let's go let's go! I wanna RUN!!" like a dog that just brought me a stick.
west_minist

JordanB - 2005 JDM Subaru Liberty 3R 6MT - Tuning

Postby west_minist » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:03 pm

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=487
jbrizz wrote:When I imported my car from Japan I had a lot of detonation and consequently a lot of times I seemed to have timing retard made my car feel sluggish, unresponsive and most of all inconsistent. I got a local tuner to dyno tune my car but that did very little to help the situation, all I had was a slightly more responsive throttle and better fuel economy, a bit less detonation but still very inconsistent performance. The tuner blamed it on lack of logging options for my car (IAM, and some of the other knock correction stuff missing).

I decided to give Ed a go since he seemed to be the expert on tuning these cars. And I must say, although the tuning is not finished, he really changed the way the car feels. It felt like there was always something missing, like it wanted to be better and had the potential to be better. After his tuning efforts the response was drastically improved, as was torque in the middle range and now it revs out much higher without feeling like it's running out of puff, so much so that I find myself hitting the rev limiter. On 98 octane the car absolutely flies now and always has consistent performance. As a bonus the trip meter now shows lower fuel consumption at cruising, although I might be able to pin that one on finding and sealing up an intake leak.

Ed is also providing me with "crappy fuel" tune as 98 octane is not available at many pumps in NZ. Top end performance on this tune is still better than stock and now I also know that my engine isn't going to detonate itself to bits. If I know I'm going on a road trip and there won't be 98 pumps handy it'll only take me 5 mins to flash this safe tune back on my car.

We have also discovered an issue with my car which I was somewhat aware of but blamed it on tuning, a weird surge when attempting to accelerate hard at below 4000 rpm. Ed has tried quite hard to tune it out but hasn't been able. Now I have the logging and evidence that it's not knock retard or anything like that so I can get it fixed up under warranty.

Overall Ed has been fantastic to deal with, patient with my stupid questions, very quick to respond at all hours of the day (I'm not sure when or if he sleeps because he always seems to reply straight away) and has done a great job tuning my car thus far. I'm looking forward to finishing the fine tuning and experiencing what my car can do when the mechanical issue, whatever it may turn out to be, is finally resolved.
west_minist

RichardZ - 2005 USDM Subaru Outback 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Postby west_minist » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:37 pm

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: First Review
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 20:54:54 -0500
To: Xtreme Racing Tuning

so there I was online looking for upgrades for my 05 outback. I had already installed a cat back exhaust and custom cai but what good Are they if the car is tuned for stock parts. I came across a forum that pointed me in the direction of xrt. I looked up the website and found some reviews on many different subarus but what really caught my eye was that the 3.0r h6 engines were being tuned as well. So I contacted Edward and within a few hours I got a reply saying he could tune my car. So we went back and forth a few emails later I purchased the tactrix cable and purchased the tune. I had a few issues trying to install romraider due to my laptop using 64bit java. So I uninstalled all java on my laptop and installed 32bit java. Everything started to work. I was very nervous in messing with the ecu of the car but with all the great reviews I’ve been reading from Ed it put my mind at ease. First time ive ever done this but with Eds help over team viewer and Skype it was as if I had been doing it for years. I can’t tell you how much Ed helped me on anything I needed to get the tune going. Emails were replied within minutes answering any question or concern I might have. We first started by copying the stock rom on 1/31/14 and making sure all the definitions were in order. We did not 1 but 2 tunes on 2/2/14. I wasn’t expecting it to be this fast but Ed really works hard. Did 3 logging sessions and 2 roms were custom made one being better than the next. He changed the drive by wire and WOW I was not expecting that! The car was completely different. The takeoff on it was truly something else. On the first drive with v0 the gear changes were smoother and acceleration was slightly better but dies off in the end, will get better as more tuning is made. Ed said my car has a vacuum leak somewhere, he could even tell I have an air leak before my car could throw any codes. Just by looking at the logs he found it. I will attend to it soon.

So far Ed has been truly amazing at tuning and helping me in any way possible. We still have a lot of logging and tuning to do but it will be all worth it in the end. Stay tuned for more updates.

Subject: RE: review 2
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 20:29:39 -0500
To: XRT

Update: took my car to my local mechanic and had the spark plugs changed, vacuum leak test, o2 sensor and pcv valve checked out. Plugs don’t look like they’ve been changed, everything checked out good.

I had to load stock rom back on the car for a few days so I could do a stock 2nd gear pull for the log and also so my mechanic wont freak out when he hits the gas and realizes this is not a stock car. I’m still getting used to the changes to the drive by wire, my mpg has gone down but that’s due to me flooring the pedal in 1st gear just to feel the power I never had in this car before. People must think I’m trying to race them off the light when my car launches forward when just touching the gas, lol. So far Ed has done an amazing job!!! I’m very happy with the way the car is performing. Just waiting for raptor to get their new set of headers in stock so I can get them and have Ed retune them. The car feels better than ever! The power is great over hills, doesn’t have to shift down to get power, the gear changes are smooth and the sound of the engine now is unreal. I just need to do one more log and gear pull for final results. I can’t believe how fast and fun tuning really is when you have a great tuner that really knows what he’s doing and when he does it he does it right! I can now see why XRT is known as “vicious tuned, driven hard” stay tuned for more updates on my car.
west_minist

RobertF - 2004 ADM Subaru Legacy 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Postby west_minist » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:03 pm

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... 1614#p1614
Subject: Feedback
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 09:40:57 +1000
To: XRT

Hey Ed,
I will mirror what others have said, I was wary of getting the car tuned by an international tuner, but I talked to friends who have had it done to their XT Foresters etc. They assured me it wasn't as big a deal as I was worried about. I contacted Ed, he got back to me straight away, seemed very nice to deal with so that was it, bought the tactrix cable, downloaded the software, logged some driving and away we went.

I am going for economy primarily, however the car is much more responsive, the adjustments made to the drive by wire made the most noticeable difference in my car. Transmission shifts quicker into the next gear, we had a little play around with this as it was slightly clunking into gears with the initial change. It also shifts down quicker when booted. The power has changed too, there is a spike of power at 3000rpm which wasn't there before, really feels like the cams come on and car pulls really hard from 3k onward.

I have also noticed the cruise control works much better with the tune, it doesn't struggle in hilly terrain. When cruising in drive in the hills it doesn't shuffle for gears anymore either, which is a huge plus.

So how did we go with economy? I did a round trip to the coast from Canberra (included spirited run from Tathra up Brown mountain) and managed 10km/L, average pre-tune was 9km/L at best. So highway driving will net even better. Around town the wife has been getting 8.3 to 8.5km/L about 50km more between fills.

Was it worth it? Yes in short it is more economical, more responsive, it feels like a younger less tired car.

Will it pay itself off? in the long run probably but for now the fun factor is high and the wife loves it.

If I had my time again I would get a CAI and Headers from Raptor before tuning. Would see much more power gain from the tune.

Cheers
Rob
west_minist

OutL4w - 2007 USDM Subaru Outback 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Postby west_minist » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:29 pm

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... 0632#p1612
Subject: RE: Feedback
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 15:16:02 -0400
To: XRT>

Like many people before me, I was a bit wary about having my OB ECU tuned by XRT. After reading the many feedback associated with Edward's work, I decided to hop on the train and get it done. After getting around setting my laptop to speak to my car through the Tactrix cable, me and Edward realized that my ROM was not supported. I thought this was the premature end to my OB tuning but Edward reassured me that he could build the definition and work with it. After he sent me the definition for my ROM, I started logging information and sent him the base logs. Nearly an hour after I was done, I was surprised with the v0 of my new ECU. At the end of our first day of work, we were already at v2 with already so many major changes to the car. The throttle has so much response now that I am actually saving gas in the city. The transmission shifting is much smoother and is also much quicker to drop in lower gears when you floor for a quick overtake. I feel now that I have a much better control over my car. We are not done yet with our tuning, but we are getting there (currently still on v2).

Edward is a pleasure to work with and as others previously stated, the guy never sleep! Wether you're a knowledgable mechanic or a newbie like me, Edward easily adapts to its clients and can answer your every concern. I'd really wish I could exchange a good handshake with him once we're done tuning my OB.
west_minist

GeoffM - 2006 ADM Subaru Liberty 3.0R 6MT - Tuning Feedback

Postby west_minist » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:38 am

west_minist

PeteF - 2006 ADM Subaru Liberty 3.0R 6MT - Tuning

Postby west_minist » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:11 pm

west_minist

camerooney Feedback

Postby west_minist » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:29 pm

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7207&start=315#p392431
camerooney wrote:Feedback for XRT tuning.

Vehicle: 2006 ADM Outback H6 w/5EAT and ~135,000kms.
Mods: none apart from K+N filter.
Support: Tactrix cable, XP laptop. Cheap VAGCOM $15 ebay cable also managed to do some preliminary logging via Romraider.

Ed is very professional and prompt. Considering the time difference and his heavy work load some days he always made an effort to respond to my questions or provide updated tunes. My car is your standard everyday Outback H6. My main gripes with the car in its stock form was primarily sluggish transmission performance.

I'm sitting on Revision 5 of my tune now and its going really well. Transmission lag gone, significantly better driveability and more torque available through better torque map. I had some issues with pinging along the way, first few tunes were due to crappy fuel. I initially asked Ed to tune for 95RON but I've ended up transitioning to 98RON. I've yet to go back to 95 but I expect things would be okay. Logging is very easy, suggest to provide Ed with short/precise logs when troubleshooting pinging to make it easier for him. The most noticeable change to the car's performance is the throttle input, its now quite sensitive but you get used to it after awhile. I'm finding I'm driving everyday to work with probably 20-30% throttle rather than 60%+ on the stock tune, its just so much more effortless that you don't require any more throttle to make it go. Did I forget to mention that the dreaded 5EAT lag is also gone? In some scenarios it almost feels like driving a DSG equipped car, the shifts are just so much faster than stock.

I had one instance where the car felt like it was surging or not drinking fuel properly after a tune, an ECU reset via Romraider fixed this and a casual drive afterwards with another tank of fuel seemed to sort out the learning etc. After a semi-long drive (4hr round trip) the car felt much better. It seems a decent trip might help sort the car's various mappings/values and learning out? I don't know.

There is considerably more punch in 1st and 2nd gear, no more bogging down when pulling out onto a highway. Its no WRX but the H6 with Ed's tune pulls hard if you have your foot planted. I'll upload a short video when I get chance. My fuel economy on the stock tune was always quite good (8.0-9.0L/per100km average mix of highway and town). Highway economy seems unchanged, possibly better but only time will tell. Around town I seem to be sitting on 9.5L/10.0L which is slightly higher than stock but its a small tradeoff for having such improved driveability.

Thanks Ed for making my boring Outback a nice/effortless car to drive. I might be in contact for a retune for some headers... ;)

Thanks,
Cam
west_minist

Germany Customer H6 3.0R Feedback on XRT Tuning

Postby west_minist » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:41 am

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=48&t=562
StefanU-88 wrote:Hi everyone :)!

After the tuning process of my Legacy H6 3.0R MY05 with 5EAT is finished i wanted to say a few words about my impressions and feelings about the entire story. Excuse my wording here and there as English isn't my first language and I'm a bit rusty regarding that :lol:

I bought the car from a dealer who had it from Subaru of Germany in the beginning of 2013 as my new daily driver.
As a car that they used for their business purposes, it had covered only around 40.000 kilometers back than, a quite small number regarding the fact that it is one of the very early pre facelift models, built in 2004. On the downside, I assume that it stood around outdoors for a long time not being moved or only over short distances in the city of Friedberg where Subaru has it's HQ over here.

I replaced the entire rotten exhaust system with new RaptorSC headers, 200cpsi metallic catalytic converters and a new designed custom 2" cat back system with FOX performance silencers and contacted Edward afterwards to get everything tuned, lower the insane fuel consumption after the modification (the car didn't like the free flow exhaust system, consuming over 20 ltrs / 100km) and make everything feel a little bit more sporty.

From the beginning to the end, it was amazing to work with him. When I look back, I almost feel a little bit sorry for all the silly questions he had to answer, but he never lost patience and answered every single of them until everything was clear (even to me :P).

We went through a huge amount of tunes but things didn't go very well until i decided to replace the 10 years old front o2 sensors, which caused lots of problems and only worked from time to time. After that, the final tune was found pretty quickly, especially because Edward delievers new tunes in about no time.

I'm more then pleased with the outcome; not only that the consumption is down a lot (about 11,5 liters / 100 km driven hard in the range of 130kph up to 240 kph on the German Autobahn, often in 4th or even 3rd gear for maximum acceleration and a good amount below 10 liters / 100 km at chilled highway cruising), everything feels more responsive, the car isn't hitting the rev limiter anymore when using kickdown all the way up, it just feels fantastic. I have to admit that I don't know what exactly Edward did in the end to achieve this great feeling, but we went through different kinds of settings and after some short messages via Whatsapp he was able to achieve a result just like I wanted to for my daily driver and couldn't even describe with words.

Even if the car feels more sporty if you want to push it harder, there's much more power below the magical 3000rpm mark and the power band is very, very smooth (much smoother then OEM) and it still feels very drivable regarding every-day-use.

I don't know about power figures but actually I don't care at all; the car is hitting 260 km/h on the dashboard (around 245 GPS, before tuning around 235) and is doing 0-100 km/h in under 6.5seconds (no idea what it was before). Impressive if you imagine that it feels stronger at low rpm, too.

Long story short: That's how Subaru should have delivered the car out of the factory.

I'll contact Edward again next year regarding a tune for my JDM STI and after my dad - who drives a 3.6R Outback, we're a Subaru family here at the mountains - has driven the Legacy after the final tune for the first time, Edward can be sure that he has got a new customer at this moment. Right now we are waiting for the 3.6R's headers to arrive from RaptorSC :D.

After looking for a tuner for quite some time in Germany without a result, i've found the best I can imagine over this strange thing called internet 8000 kilometers away in Barbados.

Thank you very much for all your efforts Edward, they're priceless!

I recorded a little video today on my way from one valley to another here at the mountains, my last drive this year before mounting snow tires. Not too hard driven, but pushing it a little bit uphill. You can get the idea. And... sorry for the annoying sounds the full box of chewing gums in every turn :roll:

(placeholder, video still uploading)

Kindest Regards from the Black Forest!

Stefan
West_Minist

Subaru Diagnostics & Logging Reviewer
Subaru Expert Tuner
http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum
info@xtremeracingtuning.com

Facebook

Viciously Tuned, Driven Hard
west_minist

Re: 3.0R Customer Satisfaction

Postby QLDliberty » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:13 pm

Just giving some feedback on my experience of tuning with Ed.
First started with 84,000kms on the clock the engine was not in the best shape but Ed soon sorted that. He Set up my laptop with via team viewer, and taught me to use to tuning programs. I'm computer illiterate but Ed has the patients so all good.
We went up to V9 then I replaced the AFR sensors as they were reading very different to each other and at the same time got raptor headers fitted to stock cats (already had third cat delete and TCP Auto mufflers). Then had Ed tune it two more times, now up to V11. That alone has made a massive improvement.
I'm looking to fit 200cpsi magnafolw cats soon, then retune.
I recomend his work to anyone.
And can someone please go crazy with a turbo on the H6 so Eds dreams can come true!! :p
Thanks for your patients Ed and will deal with you again soon buddy.
QLDliberty

Car: 2005 3.0R-B sedan

Postby Curley5959 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:43 am

First and foremost, I would like to thank Ed for his persistence with the tuning of my 2004 Liberty 3.0R Spec-B Manual. Unfortunately, there have been issues throughout the entire process, and 4 months later, there are still some tuning issues present, and it seems they cannot be resolved. I believe it would be a waste of my time, and Ed's to continue further, as I do not believe a solution can be found.

I first decided to have a tune completed by XRT Tuning, as 2 out of 3 H6's in my family saw successful tunes through XRT. There is a 2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R and a 2006 Subary Outback 3.0R, both of which have seen major improvements through tuning. Another bonus at the time was the promise of Lifetime Retunes - Unfortunately, this offer is no longer active.

Right off the bat, there were issues with my tune, ranging from a vacuum leak, to dodgy oxygen sensors. Every issue that was found was resolved as quickly as possible, but this still saw issues with lag and jerkiness within the tune.

After fixing the vacuum leak, and installing new oxygen sensors, I thought this must be it, but the new O2 sensors showed that the car was running extremely lean. After a fortnight of constantly changing over O2 sensors from the 2005 Outback to the Liberty, as well as many logs, it was established the aftermarket sensors were not as sensitive as should be, and were telling the ECU the car was running lean, resulting in the car running extremely rich. After purchasing a Genuine pair of Denso Sensors and installing them, this issue was fixed, and I was sure the tune would start to improve, but it was still plagued with lag and jerkiness.

After many attempts at finding a solution, including replacing Fuel Filter, cleaning OCV Solenoids, cleaning and reseating all Electrical Connectors, including DBW and Throttle, cleaning Throttle Body, testing a different MAF sensor, and even purchasing a new MAF sensor, nothing has worked, and the tune is still plagued with lag and jerkiness.

In total, there are 16 main revisions to the tune, but there are many smaller versions in between, so the total must be closer to 25.

In regards to the lag, it is present when changing from 1/2/3 (anywhere between 2000-4000 RPM), followed by not letting revs drop and putting foot down in next gear at anywhere between 20-50% throttle. When the lag occurs it will hang for around 2-3 seconds before surging power. When there is no lag present, it will be jerky at around 3000-3500 RPM. It can be driven around, either keeping revs below 3000 RPM at all times, or going above 4000-4500 RPM at all times. Its in between when there are issues. After seeking another opinion from my brother (owner of one of the H6 Outbacks) he says it resembles a turbo boost leak when it is jerky. Obviously, it doesn't have a turbo, but either way, these issues are not normal.

The lag issues have not been present in all versions of the tune, but if the lag disappears, the jerkiness appears, and vice versa. There seem to be no issues present in stock.

The power and responsive is definitely there, and I could not be happier with this, but when the car lags, it is not safe, and when it becomes jerky, it is difficult and frustrating to drive in traffic.

After going on for so long, I would love nothing more than to have this issue fixed, but unfortunately, I don't think it can be.

Once again, thanks to Ed for all of his efforts, but just remember before purchasing a tune, don't expect the tuning process to be cheap, easy, or trouble free, and in the end, you may not end with a perfect tune.

I thought I would take the time to write an honest opinion of my experience with the tune, and hope that it may help someone experiencing similar issues.

Below is a full list of everything that I can think of that has been completed to try and resolve the lag/jerkiness:
*New Oxygen Sensors (Genuine Denso)
*New MAF Sensor (Genuine Denso)
*Major Service 10k ago - Spark Plugs changed.
*New Fuel Filter.
*Solenoids cleaned
*Vacuum test completed and crack in airbox fixed.
*Electrical connectors cleaned and reseated.
*Throttle Body Cleaned.

If anyone has any advice that may help resolve these issues, I would love to hear it.
Curley5959

Car: 07 Forester XT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27640

Postby west_minist » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:31 am

Yes it has been an interesting one. From mechanical little issues, to non OEM AFR sensors, to maf performance issues, but still the lag/jerkiness issue - sometimes more feel like a DBW issue.

Thanks for your feedback.
west_minist

PreviousNext

Return to Xtreme Racing Tuning