What To Look For Under The Hood ?

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre NA engine

What To Look For Under The Hood ?

Postby peecee » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:01 pm

Went and had a look at a 07 liberty 2.0 litre last week, it just came back from the detailers so everything was shiny and covered with armour oil the seats were also still damp from shampooing.

Took it for a quick test drive didnt make the highway as I was in an area I didnt know, pulled over sat the engine on about 3k for a min or so everything sounds fine, no knocks, or tappy sounds like some I have drove.

When I looked under the hood It all looked fine, oil was cleanish and about half full on dipstick, coolant level in the radiator was fine as some came out after I took the lid off, the bottle next to it was almost empty thou.

Main thing im curious about is even thou I didn't drive it for long, I noticed some what looks like vapour coming out of only one side of the exhaust for a few minutes after we pulled up, it was a very cold morning and only 9am and the car was still very wet from the day before car wash and staying out all night out the dealership could this of just been a bit of steam from condensation burning off ? it was clean looking and it didnt smell and I know that there is a short and a long part to the manifold so thought maybe thats way it was only coming out of the left hand side pipe.

Just curious if there is anything else I should look out for the car only has 86k on the clock but I couldn't find a log book either which is kind of annoying.
peecee

Re: What To Look For Under The Hood ?

Postby zch91 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:20 pm

Probably just steam or other water related vapour from the exhaust, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

How's the service history? Had a mechanic look over it?

The radiator overflow is a really weirdly shaped bottle so even tho it looks nearly empty, the 'full' mark is only about half way up. Then the 'low' mark is further down.
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby peecee » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:57 pm

zch91 wrote:Probably just steam or other water related vapour from the exhaust, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

How's the service history? Had a mechanic look over it?

The radiator overflow is a really weirdly shaped bottle so even tho it looks nearly empty, the 'full' mark is only about half way up. Then the 'low' mark is further down.

Thanks for the info, service history Im not sure, I was in a rush but am going back tomorrow to have a look, I couldnt find a log book but I found the RACQ receipt from one of the inspections dated may this year in the glove box with a few suburu booklets. I do not know a mechanic so no, its a bigger garage thou and they have there own on site gargae that looked big and very clean for onsite stuff and outside customers to book in.

I will admit im very new to the car thing, love them but have only been driving about 18months so a little naive to some things.
peecee

Postby jslayz » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:37 pm

Good luck on the purchase.
Any reason you are not considering a 3.0L?

J
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby WIDELOAD » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:50 am

Where in OZ are ya mate?
If you give us a location we can recommend mechanics to give it a going over.

One thing i'll say though. Don't trust RACQ inspections, dodgy mofos they are.
WIDELOAD

Car: MY08 GT Spec B

Return to 2.0R engine specific