Member Profile - Manaz

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Member Profile - Manaz

Postby Manaz » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:54 am

Hi all,

Figured I should start putting my profile thread together.

Make: Subaru (duh)
Model: Liberty GT Spec.B
Engine: 2.5L Turbo
Gearbox: 5EAT (5 speed electronic automatic)
Paint: Blue
Interior: Black Leather
Purchase date: 14th April 2013.
KM on clock: 80,462

My previous car was a 2003 VW Bora V6 4Motion. The Liberty was purchased as the Bora was getting too small for a growing family - the automatic selected as the car will be driven by both my wife and I, and unfortunately that ruled out a manual (the Bora was only driven by me).

From what I can tell, the car was stock when I purchased it.

Rather than list what I hope to do with the car, I'll simply list what HAS been done as I go.

Modifications thus far:

165kW ATW @ ~17psi with failed brake light & slipping automatic transmission. Burned fluid diagnoised, power flush performed by All Drive Subaru after this, gearbox behaving much better now
1:25.92 @ North Circuit, Sydney Motorsport Park (formerly known as Eastern Creek Raceway), 18th October 2015. Road tyres, stock suspension, weighed @ 1608kgs with driver and fuel onboard
0-100km/h in 5.20 seconds (GPS timed)
0-400m in XX seconds (gotta get to the strip!)

Last edited by Manaz on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Re: Member Profile - Manaz

Postby Manaz » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:21 am

First mod was the installation of a Turbosmart Kompact BOV - I chose the 100% plumb-back version, as the aim for this car is for it to be a sleeper.

Overall, I haven't noticed a massive difference with the installation, but the idea was to get the car ready for future mods.
Manaz

Postby agan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:34 pm

the start of the slippery slope ;)
MY08 GT Spec.B Diamond Grey Sedan
agan

Car: MY08 GT Spec.B Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18369

Postby Manaz » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:00 am

Just got a quote from a Subaru dealership to replace the pollen filter & carrier (my filter is disgustingly dirty, the carrier has broken locking tabs).

They want ~$100 for the parts, and another $52 to fit them. And the carrier has to come in from Japan, so they can't tell me when it'll arrive.

Surely there must be a better way...
Manaz

Postby RexToy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:20 am

Manaz wrote:Just got a quote from a Subaru dealership to replace the pollen filter & carrier (my filter is disgustingly dirty, the carrier has broken locking tabs).

They want ~$100 for the parts, and another $52 to fit them. And the carrier has to come in from Japan, so they can't tell me when it'll arrive.

Surely there must be a better way...

There is $10 on eBay fit yourself in 30mins
RexToy

Car: WRX

Postby alexeiwoody » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:16 am

Go to a car wrecker for the tab, buy new pollen filter anywhere you like, try garage88. Fit yourself, easy job. Normally just replacing the filter would take under 5 minutes. There is walk through in the walk through section of the forum. ...

Might I also share some experience with you? Your choice of bolt on upgrades has been quite good, pretty popular brands and good quality; the first thing I don't see in your profile - you should be looking for a good tuner before anything else. Also you won't need a bigger fuel pump unless going for a massive turbo or e85. Vf52 and similar don't need fuel pump upgrades.

If you're into your IT you can learn to get tuned by email, a cost effective way to tune, $120 for a full tune for eg.

Just didn't want you to waste unnecessary money on components you don't need :)
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby Manaz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:30 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:Go to a car wrecker for the tab, buy new pollen filter anywhere you like, try garage88. Fit yourself, easy job. Normally just replacing the filter would take under 5 minutes. There is walk through in the walk through section of the forum. ...

Might I also share some experience with you? Your choice of bolt on upgrades has been quite good, pretty popular brands and good quality; the first thing I don't see in your profile - you should be looking for a good tuner before anything else. Also you won't need a bigger fuel pump unless going for a massive turbo or e85. Vf52 and similar don't need fuel pump upgrades.

If you're into your IT you can learn to get tuned by email, a cost effective way to tune, $120 for a full tune for eg.

Just didn't want you to waste unnecessary money on components you don't need :)

Fitting the pollen filter is easy (I know, I took it out already). :) The comment was more around getting genuine parts at reasonable prices. I know the VW community here gets screwed by VW Australia (in more ways than one), but I didn't think it'd be so bad with a popular Japanese car brand.

Tuner is already selected. They shall be named when the work is done or at least booked in. I am in IT, but honestly, I'd rather spend my time with my family than spend countless hours trying to tune my car myself via email. I'd rather just drop the car off one day, pick it up the next and know my mods have been properly installed and my tune done by someone who knows what they're doing.

Fuel pump will be done because I may go to E85 at a later date (this is also why I am considering injectors right now as well). Given I have the 5EAT and this is a daily-driven family car, a bigger turbo won't be happening.
Manaz

Postby Newbie GT » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:40 pm

Not going down the vf52 path now? Didn't you buy turbo already?
Newbie GT

Postby alexeiwoody » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:46 am

Manaz wrote:
alexeiwoody wrote:So please answer my question - have you done any of these tuning, exhaust, turbo mods yourself? Have you done them on a 2007-2009 (our cars) liberty gt?

Yes, some of them are already done. And there's more to come.

I've also owned tuned NA and turbo-charged cars since my ~1988 Nissan Exa with an imported JDM CA18DET engine which ran 7psi stock and 11psi with an overboost switch (awesome car to do your driving test in incidently - the passenger cannot see the speedo thanks to the binnacle design). Whilst there are always things that are specific to a given model, most of the basics are the same no matter what car you're working on.

Sorry, Google is not the source of my knowledge (though I will admit to occasionally using it to clarify an understanding or to find a way to better explain something). Your later correct indication of when a BOV operates doesn't make your initially mistake comment on it any less incorrect.

I can pm what I believe your mistakes were, if you like. I won't apologise for trying to save someone else from wasting money :air_kiss:

Share your advice/corrections here, so we can all benefit from your knowledge.

Aww Rob (can I call you that Manaz?), you're adorable! I especially love the way you edited your post. Because you probably realised it sounded strange to answer my question of what mods you've ever done, with just "I've owned turbo cars for years now". Either way the asnwer I was looking for was "Yes, alexei, I built a 10/11/12 second car". But thanks for sharing. I own a red motorbike. Red is fast.
And changing your "there are differences between different cars, but I'm pretty sure the basics are the same" to a definitive statement of "...most of the basics are the same no matter what model...".

Do you peptalk to yourself, Rob? Bare with me. You see it looks awfully like after your first post of "pretty sure" you felt much braver, and decided no, most of the basics are definitely the same! Or maybe your friend google told you. Whichever the case, I'm also pretty sure "most of the basics are the same", whatever that means. Fuel + air + boom = go. But I'm curious, would you consider a 20 year newer version of an ecu "the same"? How about ecu logic variance across different car makers? Not sure what I'm getting at? Don't worry, I'm not either :cry:

So with the Exa, you had the engine replaced for an almost identical engine which made only 24kw more, largely due to the bigger turbo? Wouldn't it make more sense to just get the turbo and keep the $2k for the engine install? Wait, sorry you would've installed the engine yourself.
Weird though...I swear you were asking a week or two ago how to better get your bov to fit, because you didn't realise the outlet turned.... I thought an experienced turbo-modifier like you, would know about these things? You must've just been kidding, asking the dumb question the rest of us were too embarrassed to ask! You could've just used the search function, but you decided to be generous and educate the masses instead. Good on you.

Speaking of asking dumb questions how's replacing your pollen filter going btw? Have you found the walk through? Man, tough job right? Fitting engines in has nothing on these high tech space age atmosphere purifiers. Oh wait...you already took it out? Damn, so you were just playing the whole time! Damn I thought it was strange you were asking such a dumb question. Good thing you clarified in a later post. I forgive you :mrgreen: Sad that you wouldn't forgive yourself though, because

Manaz wrote:Your later correct smart indication of when a BOV operates just asking for prices doesn't make your initial mistake comment on it any less incorrect dumb.

I also forgive you for you giving a newbie first mod advice - that an aftermarket BOV is a good first mod, since you "just wanted to show everyone how much you know about BOVs, and don't know how to give relative advice were just answering his question". I know high standards are key for success, but you shouldn't be so harsh on yourself, you might go bald

Back on topic - you did the right thing asking for advice, I have an uncle that owes his prostetic arm to a pollen filter. He's divorced now.

Yeah, it's tough not being able to open jars. At least he's not retarded, my mum always says. But anyway, sounds like your car was a sweet ride, 7 psi sleeper cruising along...then flick the switch - 11psi, boom 124kw at the fly! Yeah, I also enjoy driving my gf's 110 kw mazda 3 when I want to cruise, yknow? There's just something so relaxing about accelerating slowly... anyways the mazda's blue. What colour was your beast?

You know how you said it was a sweet licence test car? That's kinda weird, because turbo unleaded petrol cars need an exemption to be used by P platers, hence you can't use them in the test...I mean sure the Exa is heaps underpowered and slow, but still need an exemption for the air blower don't you? Also I swear I heard that if an instructor can't see your speedo, there will be no test...also the vehicle needs to have a centre located hand brake...and have less than 8 cylinders...but hey technicalities, right? As long as the tester was a cool dude, he'd let it slide. Too bad they're prosecuting chilled out testers these days...something about them passing idiots who can't drive... :?

I know I promised to point out what mistakes you made in that huge boring post...but it's getting kinda late and I have work tomorrow, plus you probably just posted those mistakes to test me. I'll just highlight them tomorrow, please? Oh just to prove I'm not slacking off, I especially like your hidden joke

Manaz wrote:Fuel pump will be done because I may go to E85 at a later date (this is also why I am considering injectors right now as well). Given I have the 5EAT and this is a daily-driven family car, a bigger turbo won't be happening.

I get it! You're using irony to joke, since E85 normally makes more power than a vf52...and E85 is more dangerous than a factory turbo and only you would know how to use it correctly...imagine if one of us tried to use it on a "family car"! All that sludge, corrosion, decreased mileage, too much torque blowing people's pistons up, fuel rails being too tight around the cylinder #3 bend... I mean nothing to worry about for a master who's "owned turbo cars for years", but to choose the dangerous path over the easier safer one for a family car, man you're extreme! Protecting the environment takes effort.

Anyway goodnight, sleep tight, I know I wont...just can't stop wondering why you're being so secretive about your mods and tuner? Damn I bet your lib is a beast..too bad the BOV does nothing without a retune..it should add at least 0.5 kw atw. Your mysterious tuner sounds dreamy...is he single? Bummer, I'm stuck in a long-distance-tuner relationship, where I spend "countless hours" tuning my car. Well more like 2 hours total for the full tune...and on the way to work every time; sad I know, I don't drive my whole family with me to work like you do, otherwise I'd be spending time with them too, instead of pressing 'record' on my laptop. :( What will I do with all my $800 I saved without a dyno tune? I know! I'll go buy some more BOVs! :twisted:

Peace. Free Assagne. Use E85.
alexeiwoody

Postby owen » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:57 am

Alexei..

You are a complete moron.
owen

Car: VAB STi // VARIS 86
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17407

Postby alexeiwoody » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:11 am

Thanks owen :air_kiss: As always, I appreciate the constructiveness of your criticism and your sense of humour. Oh wait...scratch that last part about the sense of humour :roll:
alexeiwoody

Postby owen » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:53 am

alexeiwoody wrote:Thanks owen :air_kiss: As always, I appreciate the constructiveness of your criticism and your sense of humour. Oh wait...scratch that last part about the sense of humour :roll:

I wasn't trying to be funny
owen

Car: VAB STi // VARIS 86
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17407

Postby Manaz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:46 am

alexeiwoody wrote:Aww Rob (can I call you that Manaz?), you're adorable! I especially love the way you edited your post. Because you probably realised it sounded strange to answer my question of what mods you've ever done, with just "I've owned turbo cars for years now". Either way the asnwer I was looking for was "Yes, alexei, I built a 10/11/12 second car". But thanks for sharing. I own a red motorbike. Red is fast.
And changing your "there are differences between different cars, but I'm pretty sure the basics are the same" to a definitive statement of "...most of the basics are the same no matter what model..."

Call me what you like.

My post was edited to provide clarity. For no other reason.

Actually, I lie. I also edited it to ensure that a genuine request for correction (if it's available) wasn't confused with a "challenge" or "dig" at you. But it seems that didn't work.

Do you peptalk to yourself, Rob? Bare with me. You see it looks awfully like after your first post of "pretty sure" you felt much braver, and decided no, most of the basics are definitely the same! Or maybe your friend google told you. Whichever the case, I'm also pretty sure "most of the basics are the same", whatever that means. Fuel + air + boom = go. But I'm curious, would you consider a 20 year newer version of an ecu "the same"? How about ecu logic variance across different car makers? Not sure what I'm getting at? Don't worry, I'm not either :cry:

You're drawing some really long bows here.

Yes, I understand that although the basics are the same across all engines and manufacturers, there are also many differences. That doesn't make the basics different.

So with the Exa, you had the engine replaced for an almost identical engine which made only 24kw more, largely due to the bigger turbo? Wouldn't it make more sense to just get the turbo and keep the $2k for the engine install? Wait, sorry you would've installed the engine yourself.

You're starting to come unstuck here. To start with, there were no CA18DET engines in Australian market Exas, only the CA18DE. Not to mention you know nothing about the situation under which the Exa was purchased, why it was purchased, what the goals were, and what the starting position was. For what it's worth, the car was bought stupidly cheap because it had a failed Australian delivered engine in it, with the express intention of importing a half-cut from Japan.

Weird though...I swear you were asking a week or two ago how to better get your bov to fit, because you didn't realise the outlet turned.... I thought an experienced turbo-modifier like you, would know about these things? You must've just been kidding, asking the dumb question the rest of us were too embarrassed to ask! You could've just used the search function, but you decided to be generous and educate the masses instead. Good on you.

I openly admit it was the first Turbosmart Kompact BOV I've dealt with - and the force required to turn it surprised me. Please show me the search terms that would have yielded the answer.

Speaking of asking dumb questions how's replacing your pollen filter going btw? Have you found the walk through? Man, tough job right? Fitting engines in has nothing on these high tech space age atmosphere purifiers. Oh wait...you already took it out? Damn, so you were just playing the whole time! Damn I thought it was strange you were asking such a dumb question. Good thing you clarified in a later post.

Yes, I clarified the meaning of what I said in a later post. Given I'd already shown that I could remove the filter (as I'd indicated just how dirty it was), I'm not sure how you made the mistake of thinking I couldn't even figure out how to remove it.

I forgive you :mrgreen:

That's nice. I neither requested nor want your forgiveness.

Sad that you wouldn't forgive yourself though, because

Manaz wrote:Your later correct smart indication of when a BOV operates just asking for prices doesn't make your initial mistake comment on it any less incorrect dumb.

See, you can't even maintain a stream of logic now.

I also forgive you for you giving a newbie first mod advice - that an aftermarket BOV is a good first mod, since you "just wanted to show everyone how much you know about BOVs, and don't know how to give relative advice were just answering his question". I know high standards are key for success, but you shouldn't be so harsh on yourself, you might go bald

Who said it was a good first mod? I certainly didn't.

Back on topic - you did the right thing asking for advice, I have an uncle that owes his prostetic arm to a pollen filter. He's divorced now.

Yeah, it's tough not being able to open jars. At least he's not retarded, my mum always says. But anyway, sounds like your car was a sweet ride, 7 psi sleeper cruising along...then flick the switch - 11psi, boom 124kw at the fly! Yeah, I also enjoy driving my gf's 110 kw mazda 3 when I want to cruise, yknow? There's just something so relaxing about accelerating slowly... anyways the mazda's blue. What colour was your beast?

The car was white. It was fast enough for the desired purpose at 7psi, it was faster at 11psi. I'm not sure where you got your 124kW from, I actually have no idea what power it put out at either the flywheel or the wheels. The car did the job I required of it.

You know how you said it was a sweet licence test car? That's kinda weird, because turbo unleaded petrol cars need an exemption to be used by P platers, hence you can't use them in the test...I mean sure the Exa is heaps underpowered and slow, but still need an exemption for the air blower don't you? Also I swear I heard that if an instructor can't see your speedo, there will be no test...also the vehicle needs to have a centre located hand brake...and have less than 8 cylinders...but hey technicalities, right? As long as the tester was a cool dude, he'd let it slide. Too bad they're prosecuting chilled out testers these days...something about them passing idiots who can't drive... :?

I'm not sure when you learned to drive or took your test, but I took my test long enough ago that there were no rules regarding turbo engined cars (and given the car wasn't turbo from the dealership, someone would have had to pop the bonnet to check, and that was never done because it wasn't considered an issue). Incidently, I didn't take my test in that car (I had my license already when I purchased the car), but two others did, and passed fine, and have good safe driving records.

Incident, the handbrake on the Exa was centre mounted. And it had less than eight cylinders.

I know I promised to point out what mistakes you made in that huge boring post...but it's getting kinda late and I have work tomorrow, plus you probably just posted those mistakes to test me. I'll just highlight them tomorrow, please?

I look forward to it.

Oh just to prove I'm not slacking off, I especially like your hidden joke

Manaz wrote:Fuel pump will be done because I may go to E85 at a later date (this is also why I am considering injectors right now as well). Given I have the 5EAT and this is a daily-driven family car, a bigger turbo won't be happening.

I get it! You're using irony to joke, since E85 normally makes more power than a vf52...and E85 is more dangerous than a factory turbo and only you would know how to use it correctly...imagine if one of us tried to use it on a "family car"! All that sludge, corrosion, decreased mileage, too much torque blowing people's pistons up, fuel rails being too tight around the cylinder #3 bend... I mean nothing to worry about for a master who's "owned turbo cars for years", but to choose the dangerous path over the easier safer one for a family car, man you're extreme! Protecting the environment takes effort.

* Your comment that E85 is more dangerous than a factory turbo is moronic.
* Torque doesn't blow up pistons.
* Sludge and corrosion? Well, you need to change your oil more regularly when running E85 (I already do mine every 5,000km).
* E85 is not more dangerous, it can actually be safer (burns cooler, less likely to knock, etc)
* My understanding from talking to people who know more than I (this doesn't, sadly, include you), is that I may actually get the turbo to spool a fraction earlier in the rev range on E85).

Again, you make assumptions.

* E85 isn't readily available where I am located
* A turbo larger than the VF52 would introduce more lag on what is a mostly street driven car (the VF52 already introduces more than the stock VF46). Particularly relevant when you note I'm dealing with a car with an automatic transmission.
* The car is daily driven, but not by me (I actually catch public transport to work).

Anyway goodnight, sleep tight, I know I wont...just can't stop wondering why you're being so secretive about your mods and tuner? Damn I bet your lib is a beast..too bad the BOV does nothing without a retune..it should add at least 0.5 kw atw. Your mysterious tuner sounds dreamy...is he single? Bummer, I'm stuck in a long-distance-tuner relationship, where I spend "countless hours" tuning my car. Well more like 2 hours total for the full tune...and on the way to work every time; sad I know, I don't drive my whole family with me to work like you do, otherwise I'd be spending time with them too, instead of pressing 'record' on my laptop. :( What will I do with all my $800 I saved without a dyno tune? I know! I'll go buy some more BOVs! :twisted:

Peace. Free Assagne. Use E85.

The BOV was never meant as a performance mod. I was concerned with the operation of the factory BOV, and know that if I do start pushing higher boost levels, it isn't unheard of for the factory BOV to leak. And it certainly doesn't require a retune, thanks all the same.

The car is mostly stock at present, mods are at this point minimal, though you can apparently see part of the plan (and you commented positively on it, thank you), as having the cash to throw at mods I'd like to do isn't a priority for me at the moment when compared to other things (work, mortgage, family, etc).

And I'm sorry - but I'm not building my car for you, or anyone else but myself and my family. I don't give a flying fuck whether you think my car is a beast or otherwise.

But thanks for caring.
Manaz

Postby jaydece » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:57 am

sigh.....sorry guys.....but wat a time waster.....

days of our lives & bold and beautiful all rolled into one on this thread...
Attachments
sticker,375x360.png
sticker,375x360.png (85.84 KiB) Viewed 13103 times
~JUSZTN~

** Our Turbo Lag Gives Those v8's A Chance **

History - MY07 Liberty TBSTI 6SPD Sedan
265kw atw on P100
290kw atw on E85 (fuel pump limited)

Past - MY16 Audi S3 Sedan
249kw atw on P98 (APR stage 1)

Present - MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan (His)
384kw atw on E85 (APR stage 2)

Present - MY17 VW Tiguan 162 R line (Hers)
jaydece

Car: MY18 Audi RS3 Sedan 7 SPD DSG
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11864

Postby peadya100 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:16 am

Boy.... that escalated quickly :lol:
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon