Sway Bar Advice

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Sway Bar Advice

Postby TheFirstEskimo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:12 pm

I'm looking at getting some front and rear sway bars and would like opinions on the difference of fixed and adjustable.

For example, if I was to buy adjustable fronts would it be necessary to get adjustable for the rear?

Has anyone run a combination of the two different types?

Also, what is the comparison of the two adjustible settings to a fixed bar? (In terms of stiffness)

:?
User avatar
TheFirstEskimo
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:53 am
Location: Sydney
Car: MY07 Liberty GT Wagon
Real name: Mick
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21725

Re: Sway Bar Advice

Postby zch91 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:35 pm

We really don't have many choices with sizing - assuming you're talking whiteline.

To my understanding, the adjustable bar gives you 2 settings, we'll call them "stiff" and "soft"

Whereas the non adjustable has one setting - which is in the middle of the above "stiff" and "soft"

I am not a suspension specialist nor a mechanic so the above is only my opinion :D
User avatar
zch91
-stickered-
 
Posts: 2665
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:12 am
Location: Darwin, NT
Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Real name: Zach
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Re: Sway Bar Advice

Postby shav » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:11 pm

I would only go adjustable if I was setting my car up for track days. Otherwise the fixed versions are considered 'in between' soft and stiff. Perfect for the street.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
User avatar
shav
 
Posts: 3609
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:01 pm
Location: Adelaide, Southern Suburbs
Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Real name: Shav
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Re: Sway Bar Advice

Postby HyRax » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:25 pm

There is little difference between "hard" and "soft" settings. Besides that, once you feel the difference that it makes to your handling, invariably everyone leaves them on the "hard" setting anyway.

Thicker swaybars will firm up your ride a little, but it doesn't necessarily make it harsher. It means you'll feel potholes and speed bumps more readily but daily driving (except the corners) feel the same as before.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
User avatar
HyRax
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:25 am
Location: Sydney
Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Real name: Jeff
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Re: Sway Bar Advice

Postby TheFirstEskimo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:30 am

Thanks for the comments people, much appreciated.

I think I'll end up going for the fixed on front and rear.
User avatar
TheFirstEskimo
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:53 am
Location: Sydney
Car: MY07 Liberty GT Wagon
Real name: Mick
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21725

Re: Sway Bar Advice

Postby shav » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:20 pm

TheFirstEskimo wrote:Thanks for the comments people, much appreciated.

I think I'll end up going for the fixed on front and rear.


Good idea, I think you'll be pretty happy with those. This is what i will be doing.

Another thing you will want to do when you do this is get the better sway bar mounts due to the stock ones being quite weak. Speak to Garage 88 for those.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
User avatar
shav
 
Posts: 3609
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:01 pm
Location: Adelaide, Southern Suburbs
Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Real name: Shav
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Re: Sway Bar Advice

Postby overl0ad » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:53 pm

consider endlinks as well. the stock ones aren't that stiff. and the setup will only be as strong as it's weakest link.
tangcla wrote:I didn't have to. I have girly Asian hands :lol:
User avatar
overl0ad
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 8:46 pm
Location: Mel-burn!!!
Car: MY07 GTB 6MT *sold*
Real name: Gerald

Re: Sway Bar Advice

Postby dawesy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:33 pm

shav wrote:
TheFirstEskimo wrote:Thanks for the comments people, much appreciated.

I think I'll end up going for the fixed on front and rear.


Good idea, I think you'll be pretty happy with those. This is what i will be doing.

Another thing you will want to do when you do this is get the better sway bar mounts due to the stock ones being quite weak. Speak to Garage 88 for those.



Mounts are a good idea if you look it's like a 1.5mm bit of sheet it mounts too .
Although im not sure If anyone has bent or snapped one will just road driving.

Deff a worthwhile upgrade makes a noticeable difference in the feel of the car
User avatar
dawesy
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm
Location: parramtta area
Car: my05 3.0R-B sedan
Real name: Chris

Re: Sway Bar Advice

Postby Kekotic » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:14 am

dawesy wrote:Although im not sure If anyone has bent or snapped one will just road driving.


Yep they have.
User avatar
Kekotic
-stickered-
 
Posts: 6452
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:46 pm
Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Re: Sway Bar Advice

Postby PoidaGT » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:34 am

I had whiteline adjustable sways added to my Lib.
The rear were put on the firmest setting and the front on the softest setting.
MSR said this was the best street setting for my car which reduces body roll and understeer.
MSR also said I didn't need to upgrade the mounts, links or bushes etc.
I think this was a pretty good upgrade and well worth the cash.
[2007 Liberty GT wagon - Auto - IHI VF52 Turbo - Invidia Down pipe - X Force Centre and Y Pipe, AVO TMIC - PSR intake & headers - Whiteline swaybars & LCA Bushes,] Dixcel slotted rotors & pads MSR Dyno Tune 200kw atw
User avatar
PoidaGT
-stickered-
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:23 pm
Location: Sydney NSW
Car: Porsche 911 Turbo / VW Passat R type
Real name: Peter
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19762

Re: Sway Bar Advice

Postby Statts » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:31 am

Nice going, MSR. You will snap the rear mounts, at which point you'll work you just spent the extra $150 at the time.
MY06 3.0R-B
Cusco bars & links, AVO mounts, JSpeed LCA bushes
Prova intake, HKS resonator trumpet, HKS panel filter
E85 KiDo tuned
User avatar
Statts
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:37 pm
Location: Adelaide
Car: 05 3.0R-B
Real name: Chris
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14975


Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests