Exhaust Technology: Custom Mid Pipe

Exhaust Technology: Custom Mid Pipe

Postby mynameisdaniel » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:09 pm

I asked SSSA (sssa.com.au) a while ago what some of the best exhaust places in SA were. Went and got a few quotes from 3 or 4 of them to decide. The customer service at Exhaust Technology was the best by far, I knew what I wanted done and I got the feeling walking out of there they'd be able to do it exactly as I wanted.

So I booked the car in and had it made up. I wanted it to connect to the 3" PHAT dump pipe and then split to twin 2.5" piping with a resonator in each (much like the K2 Gear system). Exactly what I got. I was a bit worried about the resonators hanging a bit low due to space restrictions but they got everything tucked up perfectly. Not many joins, and you can barely see them anyway. All the welds and bends are very good too.

Here are some crappy iPhone photos while he had the car on the loft so I could see it when I picked the car up.

I'm very fussy and I'm certainly happy with the results. So if anyone in SA wants some exhaust sections made up, go see them!
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT tbSTi Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15835

Re: Exhaust Technology: Custom Mid Pipe

Postby hamish_023 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:38 pm

Very nice! That's exactly what I was looking at doing but thought they would have charged big $$ from my last quote
hamish_023

Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

Postby OzSTi » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:32 pm

Daniel, it does look very neat.

How has the sound changed? (You've got the STi cans at the back haven't you?)
Have you tried it at speed?
Has the throttle response improved?

Can you hint at an approximate cost?

Cheers,

Michael.
Michael.
OzSTi

Car: '16 Mustang GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23470

Postby shav » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:31 pm

looks great. good to see a business willing to provide a quality finish.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby mynameisdaniel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:57 pm

Very happy with it, although needs a little tweak. The rear diff seems to move quite substantially on downshifting and the tailshaft knuckle is hitting the exhaust as it goes under it. But I've rang him about it and I'll bringing it in so he can fix it up. It doesn't do it under hard acceleration or any other time than when you put a bit of load through the drivetrain downshifting.

How has the sound changed? (You've got the STi cans at the back haven't you?)
Yeah I have the STi cans and a PHAT dump. If you heard my car before it's got the same sound, just amplified at the cans. I love it, has a nice bark when you rev it, and still a nice note taking off without being loud. Cruising you can still barely hear anything inside the car with the windows up, the engine and tyres are much louder... I'll get a video soon.

Have you tried it at speed?
Only to 100 or so, the tyres on there now make a horrendous amount of road noise so it's hard to tell how it compares sound wise.

Has the throttle response improved?
Nothing noticeable response wise, it was already really good with Matt's tune. The turbo seems to spool up a little slower if anything down low in a high gear (ie, it doesn't have the same torque in 5th going 60kmph). Not sure if a tune revision will fix that (waiting on a tactrix cable so I can send some logs off to Matt).
What is noticeable is above 3,000rpm. Noticeably more power. Getting on the throttle at the higher revs the turbo spools up much faster.

Can you hint at an approximate cost?
A bit of change from $700
mynameisdaniel

Postby shav » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:44 pm

Thats great to hear Dan. Be interesting if a Kido revision will net any increase. Let us know if it does.

Does ET do dump pipes and any idea on the moolla?
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby mynameisdaniel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:56 pm

shav wrote:Thats great to hear Dan. Be interesting if a Kido revision will net any increase. Let us know if it does.

Does ET do dump pipes and any idea on the moolla?

Will do.

Not sure, just give them a call. Very friendly service :)
mynameisdaniel

Postby jslayz » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:53 pm

needs retune, timing and afuel at low rpm not right...
Exhaust must be gooood flow!

good problem to have :D
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby mynameisdaniel » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:01 am

jslayz wrote:needs retune, timing and afuel at low rpm not right...
Exhaust must be gooood flow!

good problem to have :D

Cheers, will the ECU be able to account for it to make it safe? I only just ordered the Tactrix cable and I obviously don't want to drive around with the car running lean...

Hopefully get a video up of the sound today. Hearing it drive around from the outside it actually sounds like it has some balls now :)
mynameisdaniel

Postby mynameisdaniel » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:14 pm

I'm off to work now, but a video is uploading. Should be at this link shortly. The car was in S mode, otherwise tyres would be screaming :P

mynameisdaniel

Postby Da4sti3 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:29 pm

Sounds good Dan
good to see those wheels are clean :lol:

what store are u referring to aswell ?
TEAM RED 2.5i 05 Sedan
Da4sti3

Car: 05 Liberty 2.5i 5 speed
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16154

Postby t.renshaw34 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:44 am

Exhaust tech on goodwood road Papa :). I went there to get the custom work done on my varex muffler set up. Mark is a great bloke to deal with and for the great quality work they do, their pricing is cheap.
Project Lib - HKS-Killer B-STI-Ultrex-Stanza-Innovate-Perrin-Dynamat-DAMD-K2 Gear-BC-Kartboy-Whiteline-Cusco-Brembo-ROTA-Pirelli-Goodridge-Project MU-DBA-EBC-Garage 88-AVO-Redline-Carbign Craft-Walbro-ID-Kstech-Turbosmart-X Force-Rallitek
t.renshaw34

Car: 2005 Black Lib GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13404

Postby shav » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:39 am

nice video Dan. I like the db levels. Quite reasonable and not over the top.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby sbv » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:05 pm

Nice work Daniel!

I must say, I've heard a lot of good feedback on Exhaust Technology and considered going there myself.

I actually had exactly the same setup custom made by Rampage Exhaust (Jacobsen Cres, Holden Hill) as it was a bit closer and he did the whole setp for $500 flat (including 3" flexi-join). I had great service here too and never had any issues with the exhaust. I thought the flexi-join would be a good idea, but you might be fine without it. Just a note, if you ever get aftermarket rear mufflers, this setup becomes very deep (and fairly loud - as can be expected from dual 2.5"). When I had this, phat dump (yours :D ), EL headers and hitech mufflers the car sounded more like what you would expect from a R34 (ish) skyline, but without the headers and with the stock Spec B mufflers it was pretty quiet (almost stock sti sound).

Anyway, not intending to detract from your feedback on Exhaust Technology, but thought I'd put this is the mix, being a very similar scenario.

And here's a pic of the centre I had made (sorry terrible phone pic and part of the pic seems to be off my page).

sbv

Car: E85 GTB Outback

Postby mynameisdaniel » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 pm

Yeah Josh, I actually went there to get a quote after hearing how your sounded :) It seems like Rampage are no longer, as of the last month or two so it kind of ruled them out as I'd also heard good things about them and they were quite a bit cheaper. A flexi-joint has since been added as well as a hanger extended from what my pictures show. Just to get the exhaust sitting a little bit lower as it passed under the diff. There's about an inch of clearance now, which is fine for street driving but a big downshift at the track will make it hit lightly.

Mark at Exhaust Technology was quite willing to keep modifying the exhaust to get more clearance but given the amount of movement it seemed more reasonable to stop the excessive diff movement instead of butchering the exhaust.
mynameisdaniel

Next

Return to SA