DIY triple sealed HKS air filter

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: DIY triple sealed HKS air filter

Postby Stu » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:09 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Moving onto the suspension, steering and driveshaft bits next:
Just bought a 2ft breaker bar, 1/2"dr 32mm socket, 1/2" to 3/8"dr adapter...
Hoping my 3/8 sockets are up to it: I am! :twisted:

:lol: Enjoy the rear subframe bolts if you go near them, a great test of socket quality and strength. 175Nm to torque up and possibly more to undo after years for torure!
I own a Liberty honest!

2008 Liberty GT tuned by STI #43 obs black sedan - 211Kw atw - WSID 13.136 @ 106mph 1.825 60ft - Wakefield 1:13.518
2005 Liberty 2.5i silver wagon - The daily "Beater" - a bit slower
Stu

Car: 2008 Lib GT STI #43, 2005 Lib 2.5i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13003

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:04 pm

Agreed: it was the 17mm nut on the rear front lower camber/toe bolt that was toughest!
I'll get everything torqued to spec when I get it aligned after the coil overs go in. :mrgreen:
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby cooki_monsta » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:07 pm

Where did you source your filter?
Philips 4000 K Bulbs / Alpine ICS-X7 Mobile Media Station / Pioneer 2-Way Component Speakers and 2-Way Coaxial Speakers / Exedy Heavy Duty Clutch with Single Mass Flywheel / XForce Mufflers / Tein Street Flex Coil-Overs / Subaru 17x8J +53 mm Wheels with 235/40R17 Dunlop SP Sport 01 Tires / Cusco Rear Sway Bar, End Links, and Brackets / DBA T2 Brake Rotors / Project Mu NS Brake Pads

http://web.stagram.com/n/cooki_monsta/
cooki_monsta

Car: MY05 BL9 > MY08 Z33
Profile URL: http://web.stagram.com/n/cooki_monsta/

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:52 pm

forum.liberty.asn.au, probably via Garage88.
bigBADbenny

Postby Kekotic » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:11 pm

Thought I would add my 2c on this, as I have the HKS panel filter.

I took out my MAF and had a look at it today and it was as clean as it was when I cleaned it 4 months ago. inb4 Bruce says I don't drive my car
I also had a look at the air box and panel filter itself and I think the problem lies more in the material of the HKS rather than any gaps where air might bypass the filter (which I could not really see any of)

The material of the HKS lets in some small particles and if anyone can be bothered to do an oil analysis they will find that to be true. Jim aka TeK has done this in the past and posted the results which showed small particles of silica were getting past the filter.
I had already been to Bunnings earlier in the day to pick up some tools with a gift voucher I got for Xmas so I grabbed some of the rubber door seal while I was there. Once I had opened everything up I decided I may as well put the seal in.

The only thing I did differently is to not put the rear seal on (only front and middle), because I do not like the idea of rubber sitting behind the panel filter and potentially being sucked in to the intake.
It also makes it tougher to put everything back together with the extra thickness of the panel filter, so that's a bit of a negative.

An interesting DIY anyway, so thanks for posting Benny. I'm not sure it will really do anything, but I guess it's peace of mind.

On a side note, Daniel either you were exaggerating when you said you had just cleaned the MAF, or you have a faulty / incorrectly installed panel filter. Replace it.
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby mynameisdaniel » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:15 pm

I also did this, I only did the front and rear of the filter so it seals securely with the airbox. The HKS filter seems to fit quite loosely in the airbox so there must've been gaps around the outside, although the airflow through those would be nothing compared to what goes through the filter itself. Now it fits nice and snug so we'll see how it goes, if my MAF gets that dirty again it's going straight into the bin :P
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT tbSTi Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15835

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:21 pm

Or you could get like $40 @ FS :P :roll: :twisted:
bigBADbenny

Previous

Return to Post your mods