Member Profile - Jayraddd

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Member Profile - Jayraddd

Postby Jayraddd » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi fellow Libertyians =]

I’ve been looking at Libertys for quite some time, I’m always saying ‘damm they’re a nice looking car, wish I could have one’. Then finally on the 7th of December I purchased my first Liberty !

A stock as a rock Urban Grey 2006 MY07 2.5i Safety Pack AWD Liberty.

I plan on modifications over a couple years. Apprentice wages restrict the rate I can buy things unfortunately. I want it to be a super tidy daily drive. I’ll list everything I plan on doing and feel free to input, constructively or otherwise :)

Green is what is installed/done.
Blue is booked/bought.

Engine/Intake/Exhaust
- New Clutch [OEM]
- Single Mass Flywheel Conversion
- Xforce Cat-back System - Mild-Steel [2 1/2 inch straight through center pipe into 2 ¼ inch y-pipe out to muffler on each side with 4 inch tips]
- K&N Panel Filter
- Headers
- High Flow Cat
- Larger battery
- Tune [Once all of the above is done]

Wheels/Brakes/Suspension
- Going to paint my stock rims [maybe charcoal]
- Coil-overs BC-BRs
- Sway bars [Rear and possibly front]

Interior:
- Satin Black trims
- LED Interior Swap Out
- Headlights/foglights bulb replacement [More white colour]
- Fitted mats
- Full Kenwood sound system;
Double Din Touchscreen HU / 6” splits up front / 6” 3 ways in the rear / Mono block Amp / Slim-line 12" Sub

- Custom boot instal for sub

Exterior:
- Personalized Plates [JRD 91 hopefully]
- Matt black stock grill
- Front lip
- Roof racks
- Tow ball

Just after I bought it.
Last edited by Jayraddd on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:08 am, edited 18 times in total.
-------------------- N/A's can have fun too ! ------------------
Jayraddd

Car: 2006 MY07 2.5i Liberty
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19848&p=280795#p280795

Re: Member Profile - Jayraddd

Postby Adrian2627 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:32 pm

Nice. Good to see young crew getting into a nice car. Honestly mate if you are on a limited budget I'd skip the coilovers and just get a set of springs. H&Rs are a good choice for the Liberty and you might even find the odd secondhand set on here, just avoid the temptation to go with King's. Unless you plan to track you car coilovers are not worth the expense and a superlow look will only get you attention from the cops. They'll also hurt your resale as most people looking to buy a used standard 2.5 Lib will baulk at coilovers.
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Postby Jayraddd » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:19 pm

Thanls for that tip mate.. I'll look into them.
These are the initial ideas, I'm sure many things will change :)
Jayraddd

Postby zch91 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:23 pm

That's awful advice. I'd honestly say do not bother with springs as you won't be happy Wth the drop you get. You can get second hand coils for cheap, probably similar price to lowering springs and new struts when you shag them (if they aren't already)

Most people will agree here to skip springs and go coils.

My 2c
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby seanmau5 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:25 pm

I went lowered springs and regret it. Should have gone with coilovers.

And if you're concerned about resale just keep the stock gear to put back in, and remember that parts that fit this car should fit your TbSTI when you eventually upgrade ;)
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Car: 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC V6
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13255

Postby Jayraddd » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:32 pm

seanmau5 wrote:And if you're concerned about resale just keep the stock gear to put back in, and remember that parts that fit this car should fit your TbSTI when you eventually upgrade ;)

haha I like your thinking ;)

The debate is on.. coils vs springs ! lol. Its good to see what eveyones differing opinion is on different mods :) Gives me a better picture of whats out there, then I can make a call on what I think is better for my wants.
Jayraddd

Postby seanmau5 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:37 pm

Coilovers hands down.. This is coming from someone with lowered springs.

You'll need to buy new shocks (because you WILL fuck your current ones) plus the springs which will end up costing more than a second hand set of KiDo or BC coils
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Car: 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC V6
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13255

Postby Jayraddd » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:45 am

Just spent 10 minutes if that and removed the resonator.. Bit more of deeper noise when accelerating, I like it =]
Jayraddd

Postby Adrian2627 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:35 pm

zch91 wrote:That's awful advice. I'd honestly say do not bother with springs as you won't be happy Wth the drop you get. You can get second hand coils for cheap, probably similar price to lowering springs and new struts when you shag them (if they aren't already)

Most people will agree here to skip springs and go coils.

My 2c

And it's only about 2c worth as well. Coilovers are much better than a simple coil and strut setup however they require far more in the way of supporting mods to get the full benefit. A simple spring and strut setup with a drop of 25-30mm with enhance control and stability as well as car ascetics without the need for much more that a simple wheel alignment. With a coilover setup you will need to go much further to maintain suspension geometry and full performance. Just because many people on here run coilovers doesn't mean their suspension is properly setup and performing to it's fullest. In a Liberty, or any Subaru for that matter, a drop of more than 25-30mm will require camber, caster, and roll centre adjustments as well as mods to swaybar links to maintain correct geometry as well as higher grade tyres to be able to handle the extra loads placed on them. Without the supporting mods you will be compromising your suspension and braking therefore the handling and safety of you and your car. You may not notice it crusing around Homebush on a Friday night but get yourself into a proper driving situation on say a mountain road where you have uneven surfaces, difficult corners and increased demand on you braking the shortcomings of improperly setup suspension will quickly become evident.

If you simply want that arse dragging poser look then go ahead it's of no consequence to me. If you want your car to handle and brake well then be prepared to spend the money to do it right. Go and talk to a decent mechanic with Subaru experience, Michael (Phat GT) for example, tell him what you want and how much you have to spend. On apprentice wages, as I said in my original post, a decent lowered spring will probably be the best option until you can afford to do things properly. I should have written all of this in my original post but I sometimes forget that many younger crew getting into modding cars aren't up to speed on the effects of those mods.
Adrian2627

Postby alessandro132 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:54 pm

Adrian, you gotta remember that unless you're re-valving your shocks to suit the new springs, you'll drastically shorten the life of your shocks. Not to mention bottom out on things a lot easier.

Valid points though re supporting mods. This will be what I'll be doing when I go on coilovers.
TEAM TOYOTA | TEAM HKS

Cusco, HPI, HKS, and a few other bits...
alessandro132
-stickered-

Car: 2000 JZX100 Toyota Chaser Tourer V
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16914

Postby Adrian2627 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:18 pm

If you were going to go with a much higher rate spring around 8-10kgs and a drop of up to 50mm then yes you would want to revalve your shocks. A drop of 10-30mm should be fine on standard shock in good condition. If I were JayRaddd I'd be looking for a set of Bilsteins from a B Spec and dropping a set of springs on them as well as a Whiteline Anti-Lift/Caster kit and a set of upgraded swaybars/links. For his car this , along with his planned wheel/tyre upgrade, will improve the handling and looks with out compromising his geometry/braking.

I assume Jayraddd you are a fairly young guy, forgive me if I'm wrong, and the temptation to go with what's popular is pretty strong but in the end you will not improve your car but make it harder to drive and really uncomfortable. Libs are nice car that handle well, are comfortable, and look quite classy and thats generally what attracts us to them over say STi Imprezas. The minor mods I've listed above are proven, I had exactly that in my old GenIII wagon a few years ago, will keep his Liberty exactly what it's meant to be but slightly enhanced in the turning and stopping department. They'll also keep it a nice car to drive daily. You don't want to pick up your girlfriend and have her complaining all night that you car is uncomfortable and she needs a sports bra just to go down the street. I've been there and it sucks. These mods will also pass any RTA/Main Roads inspection as they are completely legal. Any mods will shorten the life of components generally due the fact they will be driven harder.

I'm all for people modding their cars be it for look or performance but I just want to make sure they are doing it right and not just doing what seems to be common/popular.
Adrian2627

Postby Jayraddd » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:37 pm

Adrian2627 wrote:A drop of 10-30mm should be fine on standard shock in good condition. If I were JayRaddd I'd be looking for a set of Bilsteins from a B Spec and dropping a set of springs on them as well as a Whiteline Anti-Lift/Caster kit and a set of upgraded swaybars/links. For his car this , along with his planned wheel/tyre upgrade, will improve the handling and looks with out compromising his geometry/braking.

Wow, thanks for the replys ! Alot of info there.

And yes, I'm 21, so pretty young.. rolling with whatever is popular is definitely a big part of the thinking lol.

The suggestion you made seems like a great option and is what I'm after... A nice look with slightly improved handling etc. I dont want crazy upgrades.

So just to clarify.. Bilstein shocks with a lowered set of springs will drop the Lib slightly and keep it a smooth ride ?
Jayraddd

Postby Adrian2627 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:30 pm

Bilsteins from ADM Spec B/TBSti are 10mm lower than standard Lib set-up and valved for Australian conditions. JDM are the same height but have firmer valving giving a less compliant ride. A set of lowered springs with say a 25mm drop with give you a lower than standard look without drawing attention. I had a set of JDM Bilsteins/Whiteline (25mm front/15mm rear) springs in my old GEnIII wagon and it was a pretty firm especially after jumping from our Outback into the GenIII. It wasn't too firm but the slightly softer ADM versions will be more comfortable on our shitty roads but still improve your handling. There's a few threads kicking around about springs and doing a bit of reading will give you an idea of what might work for you. Michael (PhatGT) was the go-to guy for many in Sydney and I'm sure could work out shipping to QLD. With everyone going to coilovers you might even be able to find a cheap set with springs on here.

As you are on a budget you can do things in stages. Do the struts/springs first then get a wheel alignment. If you can stretch the budget grab and AKL as well. None of this requires special tools and I'm sure you can find some from here to help if you need it. Modifying your car is about getting your hands dirty and doing things yourself and these jobs are pretty easy. The only thing you won't be able to do would be a decent wheel alignment. Don't got to Bob Jane, Ultratune type places go to a proper suspension shop. Tony Motson's at Coopers Plains used to be good for me. I'm sure QLD crew will point you in the right direction. From there you can do the sway bars. Do the back first then the front if you can't afford both. I'd also upgrade the end links. Whiteline also make a good heavy duty end link for a good price. You'll have to cut them to the required length but it's not difficult and again you will be doing it not paying someone else. It's all part of the built not bought philosophy.

This might sound like a Whiteline fanboy post but the fact is it's good value gear and you'll be supporting an AUS company. There's other brands out there like Cusco but it's arguable that the extra price will give you better performance. Again do some research and make your decisions.

The other thing that will have a big effect on suspension is bushes. These can really tighten things up and make your car sharper and more responsive. The rear lower control arm bushes in the front suspension (confusing much) are notorious on GenIV for flogging out. If you go with a ALK this will fix that problem.

That should give you plenty to think about. Any Qs post em up. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
Adrian2627

Postby Jayraddd » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:03 pm

Your info is very helpful man :)

AKL ? :/

I've done a little search and it's definitely a more budget wise option for me.
Jayraddd

Postby zch91 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:15 pm

ALK = anti lift kit
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Next