Member Profile - Poida GT

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Member Profile - Poida GT

Postby PoidaGT » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:31 pm

Hey Guys

I've finally decided to build a profile post after owning my lib for 12 months.

I needed to find a car that I could drive for a few years and then handover to my wife to ferry the kids around once i have paid it off.
I've had 3 Ford XR6 Turbos & 1 G6E Turbo company cars prior to the Lib and have always loved Turbos for the power and torque.
I purchased my Lib GTB wagon from Melbourne as i couldn't find an auto wagon here is Sydney that was within my price range (under $30,000).
I got a good price on my lib as it had a few small dints and every wheel was gutter rashed really badly, everything else was OK.

First thing i did was purchase 4 Brand new GTB wheels for $125 each for a wheel shop near Bankstown
I planned to do some power and suspension mods as soon as i could get some cash together.

Suspension, Brake & Tyre Mods

Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushes ($500 fitted with Wheel alignment)
Whiteline Front & Rear Sway Bars ($650 fitted)
Yokohama DB Advan - 225 40 series ($375 a corner fitted)
Dixcel front slotted rotors & Pads. ($647 fitted)

Power Mods

Invidia Stainless Down Pipe & Quad Tip Cat Back System (sold the cat back system 2 weeks later as it was way too loud) (Dump $900 - CBE $850)
STi steering knuckle ($90 + $110 to fit + $50 wheel allignment) needed to fit the Invidia down pipe - designed for left hand drive US Legacy GTs)
AVO Top mounted Intercooler ($700)
First Dyno tune by MSR - 170kw atw ($900) (standard cat back exhaust)

X Force 3 inch Centre & Y pipe in mild steel ($375) (kept standard GT mufflers to keep noise levels near standard)
PSR Equal Length Headers - Ceramic Coated ($600 + $350 ceramic coating + $200 fitting & turbo porting)
PSR Silicone Intake & Fat Pipe ($300 + $100 fitted) (standard airbox and filter recommended by MSR)
IHI VF52 Turbo ($1270, + $350 fitted)
MSR Dyno Tune - 200kw atw ($450)

Planned Mods

Another Muffler in the mid pipe to take away the off boost drone caused by the =L headers.
STI Quad tip mufflers.
Basic tidy up of the dents and paintwork.
Possibly some 18 inch STI Enkei Wheels

Mistakes made along the way

Like anyone modding a car you make some wrong choices even after you believe you have done your homework.

1. The whole Invidia exhaust system was a nightmare with the Down pipe not clearing the standard steering column and the Cat back system being far too loud.
Lots of mucking around and additional expenses that proved to have cost me a lot of extra $$$. I should have gone to X Force from the start.

2. Unifilter air filter - sold to me by MRT as a great replacement for my standard air filter. Apparently the oil in the filter coats your airflow sensor and causes issues.
Mick from MSR says the standard Subaru paper air filter does not restrict air flow until you go for big HP applications and traps just as much dust as after market units.

3. LCA Bushes fit by MRT - They forgot to tighten the bolts holding my lower control arms together after fitting the bushes. 1 Main bolt was missing and the other 3 were loose. That was the last time MRT will get my business.

How does it Drive Now

My Lib now drives completely different to when i first drove it. The exhaust and tune together make such a big improvement to drivability.
Much more torque right across the entire rev range and loads more power at the lower revs which make it much more pleasurable to drive around town.
The bigger turbo and headers have created about 750 rpm more lag however there is a heap more torque again from 3500rpm all the way to redline (previously it was all over by 5500rpm). The equal length headers have created drone below 3500rpm but makes the engine feel so much smoother and stronger once it comes on boost.
Another muffler in the Mid pipe will fix the drone. With a good launch i believe i can get from 0 -100kmph in about 5 seconds now.

The sway bars make a huge difference to handling / balance and the lower control arm bushes are a must replacement for all Gen 4 Libertys (they all wear very quickly).
The tyres also make a massive difference to grip and handling so its definitely worth while getting some high performance rubber.
Last edited by PoidaGT on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
[2007 Liberty GT wagon - Auto - IHI VF52 Turbo - Invidia Down pipe - X Force Centre and Y Pipe, AVO TMIC - PSR intake & headers - Whiteline swaybars & LCA Bushes,] Dixcel slotted rotors & pads MSR Dyno Tune 200kw atw
PoidaGT
-stickered-

Car: Porsche 911 Turbo / VW Passat R type
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19762

Re: Member Profile - Poida GT

Postby PoidaGT » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:40 pm

Dyno Tune with the Invidia Down Pipe and AVO TMIC Fitted - 170kw :

MSR Dyno Graph.pdf
Dyno Tune 1
(125.05 KiB) Downloaded 744 times

2nd Dyno Tune with VF52 Turbo, Equal Length Headers, Silicone Intake Pipes, X Force 3 Inch Centre and Y pipe fitted - 200.3kw:

MSR Dyno Sheet Nov 12.pdf
Dyno Tune 2
(133.99 KiB) Downloaded 543 times
[2007 Liberty GT wagon - Auto - IHI VF52 Turbo - Invidia Down pipe - X Force Centre and Y Pipe, AVO TMIC - PSR intake & headers - Whiteline swaybars & LCA Bushes,] Dixcel slotted rotors & pads MSR Dyno Tune 200kw atw
PoidaGT
-stickered-

Postby alessandro132 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:13 am

Peter, great mod list and unlucky that you were (yet another) to be fucked around by MRT :angry2:
TEAM TOYOTA | TEAM HKS

Cusco, HPI, HKS, and a few other bits...
alessandro132
-stickered-

Car: 2000 JZX100 Toyota Chaser Tourer V
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16914

Postby bass_straitener » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:21 am

Great solid result Pete.

I'm sure you'll get that drone sorted.

And some good honest feedback. Hopefully will save someone else some stress and $$.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby Sh4wry » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:02 am

Another nice wagon. We need more of them. Gotta say that msr do a great job.
Sh4wry
-stickered-

Car: 07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17136

Postby PoidaGT » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:36 pm

alessandro132 wrote:Peter, great mod list and unlucky that you were (yet another) to be fucked around by MRT :angry2:

MRT used to be really good when i had them modify my WRX back in 2000. (much smaller operation back then)
Unfortunately you are only as good as your weakest link and i think Brett has had some workmanship issues with 1 or 2 of his staff over the last few years.
They are also very expensive compared to the other workshops and there are much better options available now.

You cant beat MSR as Mick is just works on Subaru's and knows everything about them, he doesn't try to sell you things you don't need and his prices are very good. :D
PoidaGT
-stickered-

Postby GCR » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:38 pm

Apart from the mistakes, can you let us know the cost per stage?

i have a stock MY09 GTB that i would like to start moding
GCR

Car: Liberty 08 GTB Sedan Manual

Postby shav » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:41 pm

Awesome thread Peter. Thanks for that write up. Really explains the process you went thru clearly.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby peadya100 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:54 am

I forgot how great your profile is Peter!!
It really does cover all the modding questions ive had since buying my car.

I decided to re-read it this morning as tomorrow is the big day!! Im with MSR from 8:30am to god knows when. If hes putting on an intake and exhaust i imagine that will take a while before he can get to the tune. Having not been around a dyno tune before i imagine that will take a while as well. But being my own car it should all be entertaining to watch i guess.
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby shav » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:15 am

peadya100 wrote:I forgot how great your profile is Peter!!
It really does cover all the modding questions ive had since buying my car.

I decided to re-read it this morning as tomorrow is the big day!! Im with MSR from 8:30am to god knows when. If hes putting on an intake and exhaust i imagine that will take a while before he can get to the tune. Having not been around a dyno tune before i imagine that will take a while as well. But being my own car it should all be entertaining to watch i guess.

I bet your counting down the hours Adam. :mrgreen:
Your gonna have your mind blown fella... please let us know how you go.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby peadya100 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:36 am

shav wrote:

I hope so!!
Ill put the dyno sheet up as soon as i get it.. might even get a video of the tune happening so it can double as an exhaust clip as well :D
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby shav » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:50 am

peadya100 wrote:
shav wrote:

I hope so!!
Ill put the dyno sheet up as soon as i get it.. might even get a video of the tune happening so it can double as an exhaust clip as well :D

Good thinking. :umnik2:
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby PoidaGT » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:25 pm

bass_straitener wrote:Great solid result Pete.

I'm sure you'll get that drone sorted.

And some good honest feedback. Hopefully will save someone else some stress and $$.

Had my car serviced by MSR today.
Mick replaced the resonator in my centre pipe with a large high flow muffler (X force stainless).
Drone is all gone now, no retune required, much happier :)
PoidaGT
-stickered-

Postby PoidaGT » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:34 pm

Bad news about my Service today.
It looks like I have blown a head gasket.
Its not critical at the moment but I am getting oil in the coolant and losing coolant slowly.
Its a full engine out job to fix :( :( :(
PoidaGT
-stickered-

Postby bass_straitener » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:27 pm

PoidaGT wrote:Bad news about my Service today.
It looks like I have blown a head gasket.
Its not critical at the moment but I am getting oil in the coolant and losing coolant slowly.
Its a full engine out job to fix :( :( :(

Sorry to hear Pete,

How many kms has your car done?

Any initial thoughts on the reasons behind this?
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Next

Return to Post your mods