Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

Postby SSIKness666 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:34 pm

I have a bike rack from Gripsport which bolts directly in through the square hitch of my towbar. I have a heavy duty towbar that allows up to 90kg on the towball and with the rack and 3 bikes on, the rear sags significantly. I would like to make a suspension upgrade on the rear to improve fuel efficiency and reduce the risk of bottoming out and so I contacted Pedders for a quote on stiffer springs. Their prices were as such:

$196 pair stiffer springs
$316 labor (this is the same for either springs or springs AND shocks install)
$530 springs, shocks, labor package

My purpose for this upgrade is not for performance or street appeal, but to be more practical with the transport of bikes as aforementioned.

Can anybody suggest alternative brands/solutions to my problem? I don't want the springs to be too stiff that they make the ride uncomfortable when not carrying the rack + bikes.

Thanks.
MY02 Subaru Liberty RX 2.5l Auto - Blue, 5000k Xenon gas globes (not HID's.. yet), 16" MY01 WRX style rims riding on Yokohama 205/50 R16 87v tyres, 35% window tint, heavy duty towbar.
SSIKness666
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:10 pm
Location: Modbury, South Australia
Car: MY02 Subaru Liberty RX 2.5l

Re: Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

Postby Dropz » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:32 pm

Pedders are a reputable brand and reasonably priced. Avoid king springs as they tend to sag badly after a while.

You may also like to contact Aurora springs, I know a couple of people who had custom Auroras made and are very happy with the outcome and pricing.
Built not bought, it's a way of life.
User avatar
Dropz
 
Posts: 1710
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:50 pm
Location: Adelaide
Real name: Karl
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17921

Re: Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

Postby SSIKness666 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:49 pm

Dropz wrote:You may also like to contact Aurora springs, I know a couple of people who had custom Auroras made and are very happy with the outcome and pricing.


I contacted Industrial Springs in Hindmarsh SA who stock Aurora springs and unfortunately they don't do installation.

I ended up going to Pedders to get them to check the ride height of the rear compared to the front and my rear was already sagging significantly even without the bike rack attached. I feel confident about choosing Pedders, I just need to come up with the money now.
MY02 Subaru Liberty RX 2.5l Auto - Blue, 5000k Xenon gas globes (not HID's.. yet), 16" MY01 WRX style rims riding on Yokohama 205/50 R16 87v tyres, 35% window tint, heavy duty towbar.
SSIKness666
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:10 pm
Location: Modbury, South Australia
Car: MY02 Subaru Liberty RX 2.5l

Re: Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

Postby sheppo9 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:54 pm

LOL at Pedders being anything but thief's and peddlers of crap products.

What's your budget?

For just over $1k you can get coilovers so you can set the height and dampening to almost anything you want.
You CAN get coilovers to ride as comfy as springs and shocks - it just takes time.
User avatar
sheppo9
 
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:44 pm
Location: ACT
Car: An Outback
Real name: Luke

Re: Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

Postby cruisn » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:14 pm

STEER CLEAR OF PEDDERS!!!!

You'll go in there and they will tell you, you need all this other stuff as yoiur car is dangerous to drive.

Get Kido coilovers (same as BC's) for a tad over 1K.
User avatar
cruisn
 
Posts: 6560
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: Melbourne
Car: MY02 GTB E Tune
Real name: Mark

Re: Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

Postby Dropz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:17 am

If you know what you need - springs and shocks, and just get them then you will be fine. If you ask them what you need then they will squeeze everything they can from you. Their products are good quality.
Built not bought, it's a way of life.
User avatar
Dropz
 
Posts: 1710
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:50 pm
Location: Adelaide
Real name: Karl
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17921

Re: Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

Postby sheppo9 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:03 am

Dropz wrote:Their products are good quality.


Eh, not so much.
User avatar
sheppo9
 
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:44 pm
Location: ACT
Car: An Outback
Real name: Luke

Re: Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

Postby Boostaddict » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:23 am

cruisn wrote:STEER CLEAR OF PEDDERS!!!!

You'll go in there and they will tell you, you need all this other stuff as yoiur car is dangerous to drive.

Get Kido coilovers (same as BC's) for a tad over 1K.



I have had this done to me !!!! They are trained to sell you shit at you don't need!!! They WILL tell you that your car is dangerous and you must spend all this money with them..... Bushes, sway bars anything!!!

I would seriously go to your mechanic that YOU trust and get them to do it..... Not pedders !! They will just rob you

Or just a set of coil overs from KIDO or BC and away you go!
Not a Subaru...... Something MUCH better

NOPE..... That's shit too. Bus anyone??
User avatar
Boostaddict
 
Posts: 2985
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 10:52 am
Location: Sydney
Car: 07 LGT Tuned By Sti
Real name: Daniel
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22537

Re: Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

Postby SSIKness666 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:51 pm

sheppo9 wrote:What's your budget?

For just over $1k you can get coilovers so you can set the height and dampening to almost anything you want.
You CAN get coilovers to ride as comfy as springs and shocks - it just takes time.


cruisn wrote:Get Kido coilovers (same as BC's) for a tad over 1K.


Boostaddict wrote:Or just a set of coil overs from KIDO or BC and away you go!


I do like the idea of coilovers however they will cost more than what I want to get (for practical use), I don't have the knowledge or probably the tools either to attempt at installing them myself, more than likely I'll then want to do more impractical mods that will cost more money than they're worth. Remember my car is N/A and a family car.

I appreciate the suggestion though. If I could get away with cheap labor, I think I'd gladly save up the extra cash.

Dropz wrote:If you know what you need - springs and shocks, and just get them then you will be fine. If you ask them what you need then they will squeeze everything they can from you. Their products are good quality.


I agree. I feel confident on what I need.

Boostaddict wrote:I would seriously go to your mechanic that YOU trust and get them to do it..... Not pedders !! They will just rob you

Or just a set of coil overs from KIDO or BC and away you go!


Unfortunately I don't have a local mechanic. The last place I took her to charged me over $1400 for a major 100,000km service, new front brake pads and for the rotors to be machined.
MY02 Subaru Liberty RX 2.5l Auto - Blue, 5000k Xenon gas globes (not HID's.. yet), 16" MY01 WRX style rims riding on Yokohama 205/50 R16 87v tyres, 35% window tint, heavy duty towbar.
SSIKness666
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:10 pm
Location: Modbury, South Australia
Car: MY02 Subaru Liberty RX 2.5l

Re: Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

Postby Dropz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:25 pm

$1400 for front brakes and the major service is normal.

The 100,000km service sucks in the earlier models.

Cheap labour in Adelaide: me.

I gladly do cashies at home. Let me know what you're after and I can quote you up.
Built not bought, it's a way of life.
User avatar
Dropz
 
Posts: 1710
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:50 pm
Location: Adelaide
Real name: Karl
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17921

Re: Suspension on MY02 Gen3 Liberty - rear only

Postby SSIKness666 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:23 pm

Dropz wrote:$1400 for front brakes and the major service is normal.

The 100,000km service sucks in the earlier models.


Thanks, I don't feel so bad now. I told a few guys at work and they said I got ripped.

Dropz wrote:Cheap labour in Adelaide: me.

I gladly do cashies at home. Let me know what you're after and I can quote you up.


OK so hypothetically let's say I pick up some Kido or BC coilovers for $1k, how much would I be looking at for a labour cash job through you?
MY02 Subaru Liberty RX 2.5l Auto - Blue, 5000k Xenon gas globes (not HID's.. yet), 16" MY01 WRX style rims riding on Yokohama 205/50 R16 87v tyres, 35% window tint, heavy duty towbar.
SSIKness666
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:10 pm
Location: Modbury, South Australia
Car: MY02 Subaru Liberty RX 2.5l


Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests

cron