Member Profile - Zaccy182 05 GT 09/07/14 update

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Member Profile - Zaccy182 05 GT 09/07/14 update

Postby Zaccy182 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:12 am

Name: Zac
Car: MY05 GT Wagon Manual
Colour: Maroon
Purchase date: 16 July 2012 (Completely Stock)
Previous Car History: 92 Laser and 01 Bugeye Impreza RS
Member Intro: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17700

Hi there,
Decided to make a build profile because I know Im going to be with the Liberty for the long run and Im very mechanically minded, love getting my hands dirty and doing some mods... :D
I got the car with higher then normal kms at around 200,000. Got it cheap spent $2400 on the service and getting it roadworthy. The paint has a few scratches on each side of the car, not many dings (thank god) but I don't mind as its only cosmetic and can be fixed in the long run (I believe it was a tad mechanically neglected too :(, according to the techwrokz guys, it looked like the spark plugs never got changed LOL and service history was questionable...) But the interior is awesome, leather was looked after, love the sound system and huge sunroof. I did want a wagon for practicality as I do a bit of mountain bike riding and the extra space will come in handy like it already has when I picked up my new wheels :). (I was looking at 06-08 wrx hatches) happily found my lib though.

More importantly, I love the power.... Coming from a ford laser with a 1.6 carby to a 2.5 impreza - I thought that was the shiz but now a twin scroll turbo... yeah lovin it. Boost is awesome - pretty much addicted!

Most recent photo:

Photo with my friends JDM MR2 turbo:

Couple of days before getting the car I read a Mighty car mods pdf mag so I decided to clean out the intercooler the night I got it and learn a bit about the bits of my new turbo beast - dedication did this out in the freezing cold July night... :D :D
Took out the interfoooler - looks fairly thick for stock... but then again Ive never held a intercooler before.

Some nasty grime around the the compressor outlet... cleaned

What goes in on the left and what comes out on the right - this was only 2 washes :shock:

A week past and the bug had bit
ordered my wheels
Wheels thread here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5633&start=315#p249028

Ordered a GFB respons which is pretty much fully plumbed back and nice a stealthy under the engine cover :)
I did notice on the stock BOV that the piston is nearly impossible to push up :?

Next was a exhaust system excuse the crap iPhone quality - its all I have ("high quality" ebay job)

This was a pain to fit on the stock downpipe but I got there - it was cheap and you get what you pay for :)

Finally on :) - very happy with the sound! No where near loud inside.

A small amount of time passed and I decided to go for something different - a short shifter and bushes install.
I strongly recommend this! Very easy diy and very satisfying end product :D

I went with the cobb short shifter and kartboy front and back bushings. The cobb was a excellent choice because you can adjust the height of the knob and the throw of the shift - they are actually separate pieces of metal! Forgot to take a before pic of the stick.... woops :(
Best help for installing this was a video on youtube of these guys and a pretty sick white 2011 wrx sedan.... It took me around 2 hours and the hardest part of the whole thing was the stupid C clip inside the shifter socket - where the ball goes... Here are some pics :)

Again sorry about the iPhone quality:

stock V new goodness

Horrible old nasty rear bushing - eww

From the other side - rear bushing

Front bushing - new vs old. The old one didnt look that bad but hey while its out may as well change it with a lifetime part...

Rear bushing - old and new (kit came with the longer bolts)

Finally in - this shot is taken from the head unit side...

This isnt the best photo for showing it but it actually looks really good lower - kind of blends in with the rest of the dash and centre console :).
And the ruler is so crap haha

Since all this I have put in a replacement k&n air filter and done HID lows....

Things I want to do soon:
Coilovers (I cant stand the spongy ride)
Dump pipe - Emaild Phat GT and waiting reply
TMIC
Tune

Then whatever after that....
Not chasing crazy power or numbers just a big grin every time I hit the loud pedal. :wink: :)
Last edited by Zaccy182 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 10 times in total.
[ 05 Liberty GT 5MT Wagon ]
240,000kms -mostly stock- going strong
Tune by Matt from KiDo | COBB short shifter + kartboy bushings | Whiteline sway bars | GFB respons BOV | K&N panel filter | eBay 3" cat-back to 2.5" Y pipe exhaust | 8000k HIDs | Lenso 17" Project D Spec B wheels
Zaccy182

Car: 05 GT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18204

Re: Member Profile - Zaccy182 05 GT Wags

Postby cruisn » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:24 am

Coming along nicely.

Im a fan of those wheels. For the price you cant go wrong.

In that close up of the IC, it almost looks like its cracked on the end tank.
cruisn

Car: MY02 GTB E Tune

Re: Member Profile - Zaccy182 05 GT Wags

Postby Zaccy182 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:33 am

cruisn wrote:Coming along nicely.

Im a fan of those wheels. For the price you cant go wrong.

In that close up of the IC, it almost looks like its cracked on the end tank.

Yeah $625 isn't bad for new 17s - very happy with them :)

I was just thinking that when I posted, but Im fairly sure its just where the grease has been scratched. I would have noticed a crack when I cleaned it :?
Tune by Matt from KiDo | COBB short shifter + kartboy bushings | Whiteline sway bars | GFB respons BOV | K&N panel filter | eBay 3" cat-back to 2.5" Y pipe exhaust | 8000k HIDs | Lenso 17" Project D Spec B wheels
Zaccy182

Re: Member Profile - Zaccy182 05 GT

Postby Zaccy182 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:37 pm

Update: had my tune with Matt from kido. My car was knocking pretty bad and slipping timing typical from Subaru Matt said. Boost was increased by 1psi to 15psi. I wasn't really after power, just drivability. My car now has pretty much instant throttle, boost whenever I want it and holding it right up to 7000 rpm. I've only driven it for about 20 mins after the tune but so far so good :D
Zaccy182

Postby deadlegs » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:29 pm

Love what you're doing with your car, Zac! makes me want to spend ALL my money on mine. :lol:
deadlegs

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec. B. Wagon

Postby Zaccy182 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:00 am

It's addictive and expensive lol. But all in all I just want to make it right for me. Saving for coilovers and a dump pipe now - then I think I'll be happy for a while. I know my bank account will be too!
Zaccy182

Postby seanmau5 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:39 am

Zaccy182 wrote:then I think I'll be happy for a while. I know my bank account will be too!

Not true :P
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Car: 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC V6
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13255

Postby Zaccy182 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:19 pm

seanmau5 wrote:
Zaccy182 wrote:then I think I'll be happy for a while. I know my bank account will be too!

Not true :P

This is true haha ;).

In the long run - my kido tune will pay for itself in petrol. Just finished my full tank since the tune and I got 570~kms all city. That was mostly on boost too :wink: For this tank I'm going to be kind and see how it goes! :D
Zaccy182

Postby Corsair » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:52 pm

Zaccy182 wrote:Update: had my tune with Matt from kido. My car was knocking pretty bad and slipping timing typical from Subaru Matt said. Boost was increased by 1psi to 15psi. I wasn't really after power, just drivability. My car now has pretty much instant throttle, boost whenever I want it and holding it right up to 7000 rpm. I've only driven it for about 20 mins after the tune but so far so good :D

Seems like everybody who got a tune from Kido has been extremely happy with it. Enjoy the fuel savings and extra power!
I got this plan. It's called 'Save Ass'. And the way it works is this - I slip outta one of these windows and I run like a bastard!
Corsair
-stickered-

Car: MY09 Liberty 2.5i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15709

Postby Zaccy182 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:01 pm

So a sneaky profile update....

before the track day:
I had my brake lines completely flushed and my mechanic suggested that its never been done before because it was green swamp coloured and had blockages at the bleed nipples (typically subaru or anyone else will suck out whats in the brake reservoir and top it up and charge you for changing 20ml of fluid and say you have new fluid) this gave a awesome pedal feel and not once did I get a hint of brake fade or any loss in performance (even when I could smell the pads cooking on the third lap of each run)
My pads (I think) are a decent brand but they are quite low and I wanted to use whats left of them at the track - I think I succeeded in that one

post track day:
The wagon worked perfectly - despite handling like a land boat
My best time of the day was a 50.7 sec and placed second in the newbie group
I suspect Ive shot the front wheel bearings due to the stress and heat they would have taken on the track. The left wheel feels like it has some play in it when its not under load and at speed the steering wheel has some vibrations :?

I had a big windscreen crack and aami replaced it for free with the claim not displaying on my history win win.... freeebiiee 8)

Stuff I've recently purchased:
carbon fibre front grill - from jp carbon (still waiting) - replacing the half assed hack up on my stock one
Aftermarket rear lights - won off ebay for cheap
LED rear amber blinkers to match the new rear lights (still waiting)
Some red and black tint for the aftermarket lights (they are horribly chrome/clear (still waiting))

placed some orders today:
k2 style hood scoop
DBA t2 front discs from prospeed racing (needed new discs)
and on Thursday ill be ordering some STOPTECH pads off jacks-GTB
So it will be all ready to go when I get my hubs/bearings looked at :)

I was going to order some braided brake lines but apparently I need 6? not sure what the other 2 are required for? even if they were for the handbrake why would I need them to be braided?

Still on the waiting list:
coilovers
dump pipe
tmic

Thanks for reading!
Zaccy182

Postby seanmau5 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:33 pm

Zaccy182 wrote:I was going to order some braided brake lines but apparently I need 6? not sure what the other 2 are required for? even if they were for the handbrake why would I need them to be braided?

IIRC the rear is a 2 piece set per side. Handbrakes aren't applied using hydraulics (fluid etc), they are cable operated and use shoes that sit inside a 'drum' incorporated into the rear disc. New cars now have electronic 'parking' brakes.
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Car: 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC V6
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13255

Postby Zaccy182 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:36 am

seanmau5 wrote:
Zaccy182 wrote:I was going to order some braided brake lines but apparently I need 6? not sure what the other 2 are required for? even if they were for the handbrake why would I need them to be braided?

IIRC the rear is a 2 piece set per side. Handbrakes aren't applied using hydraulics (fluid etc), they are cable operated and use shoes that sit inside a 'drum' incorporated into the rear disc. New cars now have electronic 'parking' brakes.

Well that clears that up. So where do the second cables go? Do both goto the one calliper?
Zaccy182

Postby Rome_BRZ » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:27 am

Nice work! Were these mods your idea or the mrs :P
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby Zaccy182 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:54 am

Rome_STI wrote:Nice work! Were these mods your idea or the mrs :P

Haha she may or may not know - depending on how often she's on here... :wink:
Zaccy182

Postby Rome_BRZ » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:00 am

Zaccy182 wrote:
Rome_STI wrote:Nice work! Were these mods your idea or the mrs :P

Haha she may or may not know - depending on how often she's on here... :wink:

:lol: PS a little off topic but did your mate end up sorting out the issues with his soarer?
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Next

Return to Post your mods