Transmission problems 07 GT

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Transmission problems 07 GT

Postby TheFirstEskimo » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:59 pm

Hey people, hopefully someone can shed some light on something that happened to me while driving to work this morning. I was stuck behind a truck for a few km so when I had the chance to overtake, I switched to S# and gave it some :D I hadn't bothered to switch to manual (car is semi-auto) and once I passed the truck the car held 3 gear and would not changed down. I changed down manually and the car carried on in 5th. Has anyone else had this problem? So far its only happened the once in S#. I also noticed that every now and then the car stutters a little when idleing. The car also suffers from the closed loop symptoms that seem to be common with GT's n 3.0's on the forums. I've got a dump pipe on order and plan a tune in 2 weeks, hopefully the tune can sort it out. Any feedback will be appreciated
TheFirstEskimo

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21725

Re: Transmission problems 07 GT

Postby TheFirstEskimo » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:32 pm

:?:
TheFirstEskimo

Postby icnfly » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:04 am

that's wierd, prob just needs a tune on a Dyno, but i reckon the SI Drive got confused and didn't know wot to do, if it happens again, disconnect battery for bout 5 min 2 'reset' computer, good luck with it anyway dude
icnfly

Car: MY 07 Liberty GT Spec B Sedan 6sp

Postby TheFirstEskimo » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:16 pm

icnfly wrote:that's wierd, prob just needs a tune on a Dyno, but i reckon the SI Drive got confused and didn't know wot to do, if it happens again, disconnect battery for bout 5 min 2 'reset' computer, good luck with it anyway dude

Thanks for the reply and yeah, its weird alright. I've had a tune done but its happened to me once since. Very random
I'm booked in for a 87,500 service on Monday so ill mention it when I drop in in.
The OTHER problem I'm having now is that I'm getting a chattering noise and vibration through the steering when I'm half locked-full locked and I accelerate hard. Does anyone have any idea what that could be?
TheFirstEskimo

Postby doppler69 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:29 am

I have had the same transmission issues in S# mode whereby it will not up-shift. If I take it out of S# mode it all returns to normal. It has happened a few times and I have found that eventually it will sort itself out (maybe 20-30 seconds of normal driving). I am not sure that the TCU in the Liberty is the sharpest tool in the box...
doppler69

Car: Liberty MY07 GT-B

Postby kennysti » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:07 pm

I've found that in S# when you stomp down a bit it will hold the gear for much longer. It feels like it doesn't want to change at all but get it high enough in revs and it will grab the next gear, somewhere around 5500rpm. I noticed in cruising around 80km/h in S# it wont go past 4th unless you make it happen with the tiptronic. This is probably so it sits in the prime power rev range all the time, considering in I and S it seems to be in a mad rush to get into 5th and sit there to save fuel. This is all my 2c of course.
Black on Black..
kennysti

Car: 07 Liberty tuned by STi Wagon

Postby TheFirstEskimo » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:49 pm

Just thought id add that the problem with the 'chattering noise' through the steering was cause by the new dump pipe i had fitted. It was fouling on the steering knuckle and was quickly sorted out with a bit of hammer work! :roll:

TheFirstEskimo wrote:
icnfly wrote:that's wierd, prob just needs a tune on a Dyno, but i reckon the SI Drive got confused and didn't know wot to do, if it happens again, disconnect battery for bout 5 min 2 'reset' computer, good luck with it anyway dude

Thanks for the reply and yeah, its weird alright. I've had a tune done but its happened to me once since. Very random
I'm booked in for a 87,500 service on Monday so ill mention it when I drop in in.
The OTHER problem I'm having now is that I'm getting a chattering noise and vibration through the steering when I'm half locked-full locked and I accelerate hard. Does anyone have any idea what that could be?
TheFirstEskimo

Postby shav » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:11 pm

kennysti wrote:I've found that in S# when you stomp down a bit it will hold the gear for much longer. It feels like it doesn't want to change at all but get it high enough in revs and it will grab the next gear, somewhere around 5500rpm. I noticed in cruising around 80km/h in S# it wont go past 4th unless you make it happen with the tiptronic. This is probably so it sits in the prime power rev range all the time, considering in I and S it seems to be in a mad rush to get into 5th and sit there to save fuel. This is all my 2c of course.

your not the only one with this. I have it on mine too and I don't have a tune. Will mention it to my mechanic when I see them on Friday. Am thinking it's a standard thing? Doesn't feel right, but it still holds gears a bit longer than I want it too even when your not pushing it.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby kennysti » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:39 pm

Yeah it seems to be a pretty normal thing. I got a tune done with my mods and it actually made the S# even more aggressive, to the point of you wouldnt be using it if you were taking off from the lights and you were a few cars back, you'd end up in the back seat of the car in front! :shock:
Since the tune the normal S mode has the power like S# had stock but with the calm and normal gear changes even at low acceleration. If you're looking for the fun of S# but without the racerboy shift points id suggest a tune for sure. That way you can save the new S# for those moments you wanna unleash a little hell :twisted:
Black on Black..
kennysti

Car: 07 Liberty tuned by STi Wagon

Postby WheelieBin » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:10 pm

I've noticed my MY08 does this all the time in S# mode. Seems to be more likely to do it when I've given it a bit of a booting and then backed off, it's almost like it's sitting there waiting for you to continue to accelerate, but after 10 seconds or so it'll give up and continue shifting through the gears.
Diamond Grey MY08 GT-B Sedan
WheelieBin

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec.B Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17507

Postby shav » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:59 pm

seems like it's a 'normal' trait in these cars while in S#. The guys from S&J offer a transmission tune that will alter the shifts if required. I don't know what that entails but it's intriguing and no doubt should offer some satisfactory solutions.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby SegR » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:07 pm

A transmission tune or an ECU tune which impacts transmission behaviour?
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Postby shav » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:09 pm

SegR wrote:A transmission tune or an ECU tune which impacts transmission behaviour?

Not sure, probably the latter if the trans is controlled by the ecu. Don't quote me, the Subaru sales guy suggested it for his Lib GT at the time and recommends it. May look into it if/when I get an ecutek tune.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby dr20t » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:20 am

Hi mate

Be careful with what people promise you especially in terms of the auto tuning

I know of only one person in the world at the moment that can access the correct ecu/tcu interface tables to tune these up

And yes he's on this forum now (big positive)

In terms of the original question - this is Normal

Good luck mate

Cheers
Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby Stomps » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:47 am

I certainly hope you are talking about the person im about to send some money to for a remote tune ..
STI lip, Whiteline suspension goodies, KIDO tune.. more to come..

My Track z20 soarer
built 1jz, 35r +44mm gate, HKS 264's, Titanium valve springs, microjunk, cage, no interior, welded diff = skids ahoy
Stomps

Car: Soarer jzz20, Gen1/Gen 4 Libs

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific