Engine hesitation/flat spot (Liberty 2.0R)

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre NA engine

Engine hesitation/flat spot (Liberty 2.0R)

Postby Kormoran » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:30 pm

Car; 2005 Subaru Liberty MY06 2.0R

I bought my Liberty less than 6 months ago and after a while I noticed an annoying hesitation (flat spot) when accelerating in any gear between 2500rpms and 3500rpms. I've searched through the web for a cause but I can only find people with similar problems, no solutions. I did read one or two posts that said there may be an update available for the ecu but not to sure how reliable it is. The reason i mention this is because upon an ecu reset the problem goes away for an undetermined amount of time and then returns.

Has anyone else had this problem and been able to fix it?

Note, Ive replaced the spark plugs already.

My thoughts are;
- Fuel related, Ive switch from Caltex 95 to Shell 98 to see if that has any effect.
- Air fuel ratio sensor ? (was mentioned by a friend as a possibility)
- A forum did mention the knock sensor, retarding timing perhaps.

Any help would be appreciated because without this problem, the car is a joy to drive!

Thanks in advance,
Matt.
Last edited by Kormoran on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kormoran

Car: MY06 Liberty 2.0R 5MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17776

Re: Engine hesitation/flat spot (Liberty 2.0R)

Postby zch91 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:04 am

Get in touch with Matt or Bryce from KiDo Tuning (username KiDo_tuning)

Sounds to me like a tune related thing, especially if it dissapears for a short period after ECU reset.
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby d-chang » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:29 am

I got the same thing happening with my car too...

For me, believe it or not it was a fuel related issue... I also use Shell V-Power... I tried Caltex 98 and that issue disappears... so its very weird... very inconvenient too because Shell is 2 minutes from my place and I have vouchers! :lol:

Due to the mods I have done to my car... I don't know if any of that has anything to do with it but it seems to disappear when a 'proper' fuel is used...
Below car has been gone for quite some time now... blew bottom end bearing and dealership screwed me! Now driving 2008 WRX with ~65k kms on the clock. Only has cat back exhaust and tune by KiDo at the moment! More to come... but slowly!

Purchased recently (12/11/2013), already with: Stage 2 Pedders lowered springs, rear Whiteline sway bar, Advan Racing TCII 18x8 wheels, k&N pod filter, custom 3" exhaust system from turbo back with Magnaflow mufflers. ECUTEK tune of some sort (hopefully soon to be fixed)..... now FIXED!! Now KiDo Tuned!
Added: HID kit, EZ lip equivalents to the front and sides, and various LED treatments, oem boot spoiler, [LGT WRC] plates, GFB Respons BOV for extra Pssscchhh! --> Gone... I couldn't afford it's heart transplant... but keep a look out, as it will come back on sale soon!
d-chang
-stickered-

Car: MY05 Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15749

Postby Robbks » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:33 am

Sounds like an issue with air/ fuel mixture or a mis-fire for some reason.

-at 2500-3500rpm when accelerating you can discount the Rear o2 Sensor as being the issue as it will be ignored by the ECU.
-MAF Sensor could be dirty and giving incorrect readings
-could be a blocked fuel filter
-Check for any leaks in the intake or exhaust
---intake leaks- use carbie cleaner and spray it around the hoses and joins, it will get sucked in and the engine will stutter
---exhaust leaks- use a piece of hose as a stethescope and put it up to different joins in the exhaust between the engine and cat converter to listen for leaks

does it stutter and mis-fire at idle?

what spark plugs and gap did you use..?

d-chang wrote:I don't know if any of that has anything to do with it but it seems to disappear when a 'proper' fuel is used...

Start using BP fuel then
WRT Caltex fuels, their fuel is all the same with additives used to increase the RON rating.- High Aromatic Fuel
BP actually Refine their fuels more to increase the RON rating without using additives.
I'm not sure what Shell do
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby d-chang » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:40 am

Don't know about Kormoran, but I only had the car serviced about a month and a half ago, and had the carbon cleaner done on the engine to flush out all the 'crap'. With that service also had the spark plugs replaced and the general log book carried out. But this particular issue, has always been lingering... very inconvenient to say the least...
Below car has been gone for quite some time now... blew bottom end bearing and dealership screwed me! Now driving 2008 WRX with ~65k kms on the clock. Only has cat back exhaust and tune by KiDo at the moment! More to come... but slowly!

Purchased recently (12/11/2013), already with: Stage 2 Pedders lowered springs, rear Whiteline sway bar, Advan Racing TCII 18x8 wheels, k&N pod filter, custom 3" exhaust system from turbo back with Magnaflow mufflers. ECUTEK tune of some sort (hopefully soon to be fixed)..... now FIXED!! Now KiDo Tuned!
Added: HID kit, EZ lip equivalents to the front and sides, and various LED treatments, oem boot spoiler, [LGT WRC] plates, GFB Respons BOV for extra Pssscchhh! --> Gone... I couldn't afford it's heart transplant... but keep a look out, as it will come back on sale soon!
d-chang
-stickered-

Postby d-chang » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:48 am

d-chang wrote:I don't know if any of that has anything to do with it but it seems to disappear when a 'proper' fuel is used...

Start using BP fuel then
WRT Caltex fuels, their fuel is all the same with additives used to increase the RON rating.- High Aromatic Fuel
BP actually Refine their fuels more to increase the RON rating without using additives.
I'm not sure what Shell do[/quote]

Yeah I might give it a try, at the end of the day, you read a lot of material about fuels... and they could just 'write' things to hype it up... just get out there and try it I guess..

d-chang
-stickered-

Postby Kormoran » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:49 am

Same as d-chang here,
Serviced 4000kms ago with genuine plugs from Subaru, air filter, upper cylinder cleaner, all that junk was done as well.

No other problems except lack of power at that rpm range, no idle problems and to clarify, no cel codes.

Trying the fuel swap first, fingers crossed.
Kormoran

Postby yumcha » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:24 am

came across this problem twice since owning the car,
narrowed it down to bad fuel from a local servo.
since swapping servos never encountered the problem again.
MY07 2.0R
yumcha

Postby Kormoran » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:35 pm

Update;
Went to Subaru today to get some upper cylinder cleaner, thought I'd ask about the map update for the 2.0R, and he said there was one released 2-3 years ago,, but he also said it would cost $149 for a diagnosis and possible update (He was certain for the auto, but not manual) So if/when the problem returns, it's a possible solution.
Kormoran

Postby PinkK » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:38 pm

Hey I only stumbled across this, I have the same thing in a 2.5 and I have already spoken to Bryce at KiDo he said this:

The hesitation is part of the stock tune and our tune will fix it, as well as provide a smoother drive, more midrange torque and better top end power.

His tune is more that the factory update from Subaru but from what I hear the guys at KiDo are very knowledgable and work with you to create the best tune. Either way if I get it done before you do I can let you know if it fixes the hesitation.
PinkK
-stickered-

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec. B Wagon

Postby Kormoran » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:23 pm

As soon as I get my tax back Im going to fork out the $149 and see what happens, I need to pay for my 100k service in a few months too so, goodbye $$$ :(
Kormoran

Postby zch91 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Kormoran wrote:As soon as I get my tax back Im going to fork out the $149 and see what happens, I need to pay for my 100k service in a few months too so, goodbye $$$ :(

I would not bother with a Subaru tune update... Seriously. Send kido a pm.
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby Kormoran » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:41 pm

Sending through an email as I type this, see what the damage will be.
I'm tempted to get an exhaust/extractors though (If its worth putting extractors on a 2.0R) will it need a re-tune if i do?

Ill just note too, I still haven't had a problem since changing to BP Ultimate.
Kormoran

Postby PinkK » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:23 am

Kormoran wrote:Sending through an email as I type this, see what the damage will be.
I'm tempted to get an exhaust/extractors though (If its worth putting extractors on a 2.0R) will it need a re-tune if i do?

In all of my mod experience (be it V8's) but they are good value where are you located? Matt from KiDo is doing rounds again soon.
PinkK
-stickered-

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec. B Wagon

Postby Kormoran » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:39 am

PinkK wrote:
Kormoran wrote:Sending through an email as I type this, see what the damage will be.

In all of my mod experience (be it V8's) but they are good value where are you located? Matt from KiDo is doing rounds again soon.

In Brisbane buddy.

Also in your reply, when you say "in all of my mod experience (be it v8's) but they are good value" what part of my post are you referring to? :P Apologies, it's late aha
Kormoran

Next

Return to 2.0R engine specific