Lets talk tuning (KiDo Tunes)

Lets talk tuning (KiDo Tunes)

Postby XT_for_me » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:03 pm

Lets talk tuning!

There are 3 basic kinds of tune, regardless of the car, engine or ECU. One of those kinds of tune will be the one YOU WANT, and trust me, if you have ever had a car tuned, especially a turbo car, you will know what I mean.

Dyno Queen: A car whose owner is all about the maximum number the car can produce. The owner wants this to compete on a numbers basis with other cars, either on the day, on the same dyno, or on a forum like this.

Street Tune: This is not a tune done on the street necessarily, it can be done on a dyno, or on the road or a combination, but the essential thing is driveability. This means things like the turbo spooling as early as possible, and maximising average torque, as distinct from the maximum peak. You have to love a flat torque curve!

Track Tune: Again, it can be done on a dyno or a track or road or a combination, but the essential thing here is maximising the acceleration so things like early spool are not so important, but maximising torque through the rev range used in gear when flat out is the key. This may make for an unpleasant street car but thats not the point, so who cares? Who in their right mind would want to drive a V8 Supercar down to the supermarket?

What kind of tune do you want? KiDo will provide a blend of Street and Track suitable for most purposes.

KiDo Racing is proud to be able to offer a new tuning facility to Subaru owners ( we do some Mitsubishi as well). This service is delivered through an alliance between KiDo Racing and a world renowned tuner, someone known and respected in the Subaru tuning communities of OpenECU and RomRaider, Matt Mcleod.

Matt is well known in the RomRaider world both as a tuner and as a developer of Definition files. Some of the recognised work Matt has done includes tuning a 2010 STi I tuned for Targa Tasmania got 6th place in 4WD Modern and another STi which gained 4th place in TMR Showroom Modern

Right about now you might be asking where is Matt, what city does he tune in, etc. The answer is that it doesn't matter where Matt is, because we deliver the tune to you by email! Now before you jump to conclusions, and assume that we provide an “out of the box tune” let me tell you, KiDo Racing is never going to sell an out of the box tune. Now you might start to wonder how a tune can be delivered and installed and CUSTOMISED to suit your car via email?

It's easy, you order your tune through KiDo Racing, you provide your delivery address, you pay for the tune which includes rental of the equipment you will need, and we deliver it to your door.

The tuning process requires that you copy the current tune (whether it's OEM or not) from your ECU and email it to us. We then reply with a modified version of that file. You install, and TEST it, providing us with a log of many of the engine parameters. We then adjust the tune and email the new version to you. The process is repeated until we have optimised the tune for your car. All the instructions, hardware and software is provided. Once the tuning is complete you return the equipment to KiDo Racing. The cost of return is included in the total price, all you need to do is post it.

What equipment is in the package?

A Tactrix Cable & Micro Sdcard

A Innovate MTX-L wideband air/fuel meter

A CD with all the required software and instructions.

A printed user guide.

What you will need to supply is a Laptop running Windows XP, Vista or 7 with 2 USB ports.

What I haven't told you yet is what truly makes a KiDo Racing tune unique, and that is the parameters that are massaged in the tuning process. For the technically minded, Matt will change the scaling parameters in a number of tables as required, something no other tuner does. He will also change parameters in up to 120 tables, where most other tuners change 15 to 20 tables. Matt knows and understands things like DBW (Drive By Wire) and AVCS (Active Valve Control System) (http://drive2.subaru.com/Win05_WhatsInside.htm) better than anyone else I have spoken to or know of, and adjusts the associated tables to achieve superb driveability and a truly progressive throttle response. In turbo cars the turbo typically spools up earlier and holds boost longer, The effect is visible on a dyno output where the torque curve is flater, and more importantly your “bum dyno” will feel the difference. A nice side effect often achieved is improved fuel economy, but given that this is also controlled by your right foot, we can't guarantee it. You might love the increased performance so much that you use it a lot more.

If fact we are so confident that you will love our tune, we will either adjust it or provide it FREE if you are not 100% happy.

What cars do we tune?
Subaru, Dec 2000 and later, Turbo. Dec 2002 or later N/A
Some Mitsubishi's. (please ask about yours)

Price?
Our tunes are very cost effective, much cheaper than a typical dyno tune, and with results that count where you use it, on the road. PM or Email for a price. Some cars do cost more than others due to their level of complexity.

Got Questions?
You know what to do, ask!

Contact KiDo Racing
Ph: 0422 337 392
Email: sales@kido-racing.com.au
Stopping is not optional!

KiDo Racing Big Brake Kits, Coilover Suspension, Tunes, Turbo rebuilds, and Kamak Turbos
Brake Kits
Coilovers
Tuning
Chassis Braces

XT_for_me

Car: Subaru Forester MY09 XT

Re: Lets talk tuning (KiDo Tunes)

Postby XT_for_me » Sat May 05, 2012 4:13 pm

I had a great time today at the Dyno Day. I wish I could have stayed longer but I had family commitments.
Attachments
dyno_check_2.jpg
my car with a KiDo Tune!
dyno_check_2.jpg (153.95 KiB) Viewed 48664 times

KiDo Racing Big Brake Kits, Coilover Suspension, Tunes, Turbo rebuilds, and Kamak Turbos
Brake Kits
Coilovers
Tuning
Chassis Braces

XT_for_me

Postby Tradewind » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:35 pm

Is that Subaru 4 NA, 4 Turbo, H6 3.0 and 3.6???

All of them?
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby XT_for_me » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:45 pm

Yes, any N/A built from December 2002

Brake Kits
Coilovers
Tuning
Chassis Braces

XT_for_me

Postby Tim_ » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:25 pm

Anyone with a H6 had a tune from Kido?
Thanks
Tim
Tim_

Car: my06 liberty 3.0r
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17247

Postby XT_for_me » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:36 pm

Here are some testimonials:

TrumpST: MY11 Forester XTP Manual
TH first tuned my car last year when I had the stock TD04 and X Force TBE. The difference was like chalk and cheese - much better throttle response, better all through the rev range, and better again when you turned off the traction control

Overall driveability has improved along with fuel economy (even with my lead foot).

Since then I've installed a VF52 (with Matt's help), a Process West TMIC and a Turbosmart Kompact BOV. Retuned by TH and lots more smiles via the happy pedal, at first I had trouble keeping up with the gear changes in 1st and 2nd

Next on the list is a 3 port boost controller and a wideband sensor on the dump so we can lean out the fueling and get some more power. Gotta say he is brilliant with customer service, I've had a couple of issues with the VF52 and he's been able to sort them out usually on the same day (via a tactrix 2.0 and email).
NOTE: This SH9 Forester ran a 13.079 at WSID. 20/06/2012

philjt: MY09 Forester XTP Manual
Had my car tuned by TH and was very very happy with the results. Nothing too special with my car, TCP TBE, stock TD-04 turbo, Grimspeed 3 port EBC (Matt helped install - thanks) & Turbosmart Kompact BOV. After the tune was completed there was insane amounts of torque, better throttle response, fuel economy was better than stock and quicker spool. I was very impressed with the level of service I received and Matt's impecable "Rain Man" knowledge about my car. I wouldn't hesitate to seek his assistance or advice regarding my car and would recommend him to anybody.

I had a small hiccup with cruise control where the throttle would fluctuate from closed to open at regular intervals (very noticeable) while cruising, sent Matt an email and the next day (may have even been the same day - I dont think he sleeps!) and he fixed it pronto!!! (new map and the use of my taxtrix of course)

All in all excellent service, superb results, brilliant knowledge and dedication to this black art (well for me anyway). You wont be dissapointed.

trh82: MY10 Forester XTP Auto.
Happy with Throttlehappy? Very much so, got his magic applied to my car yesterday. Wow does it transform the car!!! The auto was ordinary before and the shift quality varied, but now with DSG style shifts its great, downshifts are quicker and with the added throttle response and oomph from lower in the rev range, it is definitely a much nicer car to drive.

My mum has a standard XT and after my dad drove it, then mine he was very impressed with the difference. So much so that he is looking at upgrading mums car.

Full gains fuel consumption is yet the be fully analysed as I have been enjoying the extra oomph. But it is definitely a bit better to start with so far.

Throttlehappy is highly reccomended.

Brake Kits
Coilovers
Tuning
Chassis Braces

XT_for_me

Postby XT_for_me » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:37 pm

Tim_ wrote:Anyone with a H6 had a tune from Kido?
Thanks
Tim

We have one in progress now with a forum member. I am sure he will tell you all about it when it's done

Brake Kits
Coilovers
Tuning
Chassis Braces

XT_for_me

Postby Kekotic » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:40 pm

Bryce did that person from the forum end up getting the discounted promotional tune? I can't remember who it was.
Actually now I remember, it was Imania. :D
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby XT_for_me » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:44 pm

Imania is getting his GT tuned. It's had a few revisions but it not yet finished. There is another member with a H6 3.0 who has just started the process.

Brake Kits
Coilovers
Tuning
Chassis Braces

XT_for_me

Postby imania » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:46 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:Bryce did that person from the forum end up getting the discounted promotional tune? I can't remember who it was.
Actually now I remember, it was Imania. :D

Getting close to being finalised now, will post up the review when it's entirely done! :)
imania

Car: 2007 Liberty GT Tuned by STi

Postby agan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:24 pm

Awesome...I'll be watching with interest too..I may be getting a dump pipe in july and looking to explore tuning options then :D
MY08 GT Spec.B Diamond Grey Sedan
agan

Car: MY08 GT Spec.B Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18369

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Great stuff !!! :D
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby MH3.0R » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:21 pm

XT_for_me wrote:Imania is getting his GT tuned. It's had a few revisions but it not yet finished. There is another member with a H6 3.0 who has just started the process.

No big secret, it is I.... and loving the progress and support so far. My particular year/spec (MY05 3.0R AT) has no definition files in the Open ECU fraternity and within days, I got an ECU definition file and have flashed rev 1 to the ECU. Auto transmission is already behaving better, but still some more work to do but really pleased with the progress.

If you want to keep tabs on how things are progressing, I will be posting my progress in my build thread:

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12969#p176433

This vehicle also grew a snail in the engine bay, one of two in Melbourne with that issue... :wink:
MY15 Jaguar XFR-S 5.0 V8 SC 8AT White Saloon (Stock - nothing more to do with 400+ KW :))
MY11 Jaguar XFS 3.0DTT 6AT White Saloon (Prepped for sale)
MY19 Subaru XV 2.0iS the shopping trolley and weekend all terrain cruiser!
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12969#p176433

Postby Sheik Jabooti » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:31 pm

So how do you guys get the turbo to spool sooner? I thought it was a physical limitation of how much exhaust gas needs to move through before the turbo spools up, rather than tuning parameters?

Also keen to know what gains you can get from a stock 2007 Liberty GT (Auto). I've had feedback from a couple of tuners to say max of 5% gains without doing the exhaust (DP at a minimum). Basically don't bother with a tune until you replace the dump pipe.

Cheers.
Started with a Gen2 Outback, then got a MY07 GT Spec.B Manual w Cat Back Exhaust and Verso Tuned, now got 2 kids and a MY07 GT Auto Wagon, Ultrex stealth back exhaust, panel filter, Whiteline Sways all round, Spec.b struts and springs and Kido-Tuned.
Sheik Jabooti

Car: MY07 GT Wagon

Postby XT_for_me » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:10 pm

Matt can probably explain this better than I can, but the turbo spool is in deed governed by the amount of gas passing through the exhaust housing. There are several things which affect the gas volume. Obviously the engine speed and throttle opening, but in a more subtle way the AVCS and timing affect it. Also, much to my surprise when I found out, the turbo waste gate is commonly wasting gas (with the factory tune) well before the turbo is really spooling. Closing down the waste gate until its actually required can make a significant difference to spool up. This is somewhat more complex than you might think. In the Forester I own, there are tables for 1st and 2nd gear compensation as well as the basic wastegate controls. In a manual Liberty there are tables for compensation in all gears! woot!

As for gains with the stock exhaust, again I will refer to the Forester where 30% mid-range torque gains are available. It is enough to totally transform the way the car drives. I expect the Liberty to be similar. Matt can answer that one better than I as he has much more experience with the Liberty.

Brake Kits
Coilovers
Tuning
Chassis Braces

XT_for_me

Next

Return to KiDo Racing