Member Profile - Bass_Straitener

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Postby bass_straitener » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:21 am

I purchased the car through STI Docklands and was convinced I wasn't going to do a thing to it.

Well that was the case for the first 6 months and then, influenced by this site and the guys in the WRX Club I started slowly.

Initially it was just the dump pipe, panel filter and tune. From there it slowly snowballed from one thing to another to this.

The car has been tuned at MSR by Michael South. A great guy to deal with with heaps of knowledge and skill to ensure a great result.

I'm now nearing the end of my build and have listed below all the parts I've used to date to produce the results I've gained. This is the path I've taken from the advice I've received and my budget.

Along the way I've taken and not taken advice from various members and I'd like to thank them all for their input. In particular I'd like to thank the following guys.

- jaydece
- Gambit
- Brainy
- coyote
- 3rspecb
- Adam at Tuspeed
- MSR

Parts used for this build:

Engine Mods

- Cobb intake and housing
- Pierburg/Pro Drive 3 port boost solenoid
- Perrin Silicon intake
- AVO dump pipe with a second Xforce long taper metal race cat for legality.
- Custom exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers and 3 inch single tips.
- VF52 turbo
- ID1000 injectors
- Grimmspeed AOS
- AVO Parallel fuel line kit
- Turbosmart FPR1200
- Turbosmart plumb back BOV
- AVO TMIC
- NGK one step colder plugs LFR7AIX 2309
- Delvac MX 15W40

Suspension and Handling Mods

- Cusco front sway bar
- Cusco rear sway bar
- Cusco 4 part rear chasis brace
- Cusco front H brace
- AVO HD mounts
- JSpeed LCA bushes
- Racecomp Coilovers 7kg front springs 9kg rear.
- STI strut brace front
- STI under car brace front
- Bridgestone RE050A 225 40 18
- 4 wheel alignment and corner weight
- Lowered 26mm from standard height.
- Kartboy pitch stop mount
- Group N transmission mount

Cosmetic Mods

- Wheel colour change to charcoal
- Wrap of radiator support bar
- JDM battery and ABS covers
- number plate lift
- Personalised Vic plate STI 30

Tuner

Michael South
http://www.msengineering.com.au

Here are some pics of the car at the time I bought it.
Attachments
IMG_0955.JPG
IMG_0955.JPG (124.55 KiB) Viewed 12938 times
IMG_0937.JPG
IMG_0937.JPG (142.61 KiB) Viewed 12938 times
IMG_0951.JPG
IMG_0951.JPG (149.16 KiB) Viewed 12938 times
Last edited by bass_straitener on Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 10 times in total.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Car: MY12 C63
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14781

Postby Gambit » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:07 pm

Very nice looking silver sedan. Great number plate choice too.
Looks like a few people heading over to rev zone .
Gambit

Car: Subaru

Re: Member Profile - Bass_Straitener

Postby bass_straitener » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:45 pm

It does look that way though when I spoke to George he said they have always been very busy doing a lot of work for WRX club members.
I thought I'd give them a go to add another tuner to the mix for comparison of results etc.
Both Adam at Tuspeed and Vin from STI recommended Revzone.
One thing George at Revzone suggested was to upgrade the fuel pump for safety hence the addition of the Walbro pump.
I'm pretty new the mod game but am happy to listen and take his advice on this.
From early discussions I'm feeling confident it will be a good result.
Let's see....
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Postby Devour » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:21 pm

Car looks great. Very clean silver STi sedan, good to see the mods rolling
Devour

Car: R34 GTR V-Spec / MY07 2.5i

Postby Corsair » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:45 pm

Car is looking fantastic already Bruce, although with a tune and these mods I guess it'll drive even better!

Took a mate of mine over to Rev Zone on Friday to pick up his car which had just had a full exhaust set-up installed, a custom air filter box fabricated and a tune. He seemed pretty happy with both the result and the craftsmanship. I didn't get to check out the workshop, but did notice a blue B4 parked in their carport. :)
I got this plan. It's called 'Save Ass'. And the way it works is this - I slip outta one of these windows and I run like a bastard!
Corsair
-stickered-

Car: MY09 Liberty 2.5i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15709

Postby cruisn » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:13 pm

Nice and clean mate. :good:

Interested to see what gains are to be had with just those 3 mods and a tune.
cruisn

Car: MY02 GTB E Tune

Postby bass_straitener » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:15 am

Thanks guys for the compliments.

Corsair - Good to see other Subis getting the Revzone treatment. It's a bit of a risk given the proven results and quality of Springy Motors and the other more recommended and used tuning shops. But I'd like to try someone different. At least it will provide an opinion, good or bad, and perhaps another option.

Devour - Considering how your car looks I'm chuffed you reckon mine looks OK. Your car is a standout on these forums for your mods and attention to detail. I don't have the budget or time to get something like your's happening. Hence my thought was to buy the STI as I reckon it looks good, maintain its stock look and see if I can improve it's performance.

Cruisn - Thanks for the compliment. I'm interested as well to see what can be gained by the bits I've chosen. I spend a bit on time on the internet so armed with all the reading I've done, opinions I've sought, people I've spoken to along the way etc I reckon this should be my first stage. Afterall where does it all end. Gambit's 27 pages of mods?? Justin's saga?? Who knows... This will be my first stop on the journey. With kids, mortgage etc let's see how far I can take it.

Thanks again everyone.
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Postby Devour » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:56 am

Haha cheers for the kind words Bruce. All in due time, im sure you will make this car something special it just takes time.

I agree, i think the STi's look quite good from factory. I only wish i could do performance and make it go faster, but then again my car wouldn't look as good haha. The stock look is very nice, after all it drew us all to buy the car in the first place!

I wish my dad drove a tb STi then id take it all the time haha
Devour

Car: R34 GTR V-Spec / MY07 2.5i

Postby bass_straitener » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:09 pm

Quick update - Picked up my parts today ready to head off to Revzone tomorrow morning for installation and a tune. Car will be there 2 days and I can't wait to see/feel the difference and also post on here my thoughts of the process and result.

All parts have been bought from Tuspeed, look them up, and I can't thank Adam enough for his advice and great pricing. So much so I bought an extra bit on pickup. The Perrin silicone intake pipe. I liked the stealth black look. Afterall, someone has to try and do stealth now that Gambit's cover has been blown.

Here are some pics of the bits. I've taken a few of the AVO stainless dump pipe as I know I couldn't find good pics of this item when searching the net and thought someone else may benefit. So far it all looks good to me.

Also going in as part of this stage of mods will be a Walbro pump supplied and fitted at Revzone.

Enjoy the pics and any advice, comments, positive criticism and opinion is welcomed.
Attachments
IMG_1580.JPG
Apexi Panel Filter
IMG_1580.JPG (124.82 KiB) Viewed 12756 times
IMG_1579.JPG
Grimspeed 3 port boost solenoid
IMG_1579.JPG (108.28 KiB) Viewed 12756 times
IMG_1586.JPG
Flex joint and weld detail
IMG_1586.JPG (112.14 KiB) Viewed 12756 times
IMG_1585.JPG
Showing weld quality
IMG_1585.JPG (105.67 KiB) Viewed 12756 times
IMG_1584.JPG
AVO Stainless dump pipe
IMG_1584.JPG (130.21 KiB) Viewed 12756 times
IMG_1578.JPG
Cast iron dump pipe collector.
IMG_1578.JPG (91.7 KiB) Viewed 12756 times
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Postby bass_straitener » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:12 pm

Perrin Silicone turbo inlet.
Attachments
IMG_1582.JPG
Perrin Silicone turbo inlet
IMG_1582.JPG (140.12 KiB) Viewed 12754 times
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Postby Corsair » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:58 am

bass_straitener wrote: Afterall, someone has to try and do stealth now that Gambit's cover has been blown.

How 'stealth' can a STI GT be? :wink:

Can't wait to see/hear the result!
I got this plan. It's called 'Save Ass'. And the way it works is this - I slip outta one of these windows and I run like a bastard!
Corsair
-stickered-

Car: MY09 Liberty 2.5i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15709

Postby Gambit » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:55 am

hahaha nice work and some nice parts there.. look forward to hearing all about it on sat :D
Gambit

Car: Subaru

Postby bass_straitener » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:42 am

Corsair wrote:
bass_straitener wrote: Afterall, someone has to try and do stealth now that Gambit's cover has been blown.

How 'stealth' can a STI GT be? :wink:

Can't wait to see/hear the result!

As I typed that comment I thought how ridiculous it was being it's the STI with those bright orange Brembos.

I've now come up with my own definition of stealth.. Stealth = The ability to put your engine cover back on over all the mods. :wink:

All the bits I'm adding will see the engine cover go back over them so as per my definition I'm cool....
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Postby bass_straitener » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:50 am

Gambit wrote:hahaha nice work and some nice parts there.. look forward to hearing all about it on sat :D

Thanks mate. Hopefully it will do something for the car....

Looking forward to Saturday too. I'll have my car back and have something to talk about instead of looking in awe at other's modded cars and listening to their stories. Which I don't mind doing either.

I'm going to have to have a long hard look under your bonnet as well. I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Also I'll have something wothwhile for "Show and Tell" :)
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Postby bass_straitener » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:27 am

Dropped the car off to Revzone this morning.

Had a quick tour of the workshop which was neat and had quite a few cars in there, including <GB>'s STI. Had a look under the bonnet of that beast and WOW. This car is currently producing 260awkw on their chasis dyno and George pointed out all the goodies on it. One word for it AMAZING.

Then had a quick chat about what they could achieve given the bits I'd bought and let them know that I don't drive at 6000 RPM most of the time so I'd prefer low and midrange improvements.

Also found out that the tuner who works there Craig worked with Vin at STI so has a lot of experience with Subaru. I'm feeling pretty good so far about my choice in Revzone so far and am waiting for Thursday evening when I've been promised getting back a car that I won't believe is the same one I dropped off. Hopefully this is true in a positive way... :lol:

I've also installed on my laptop all the RomRaider and ECUFlash software and have ordered a Tactrix 2.0 cable from Tactrix. Coyote keeps saying this an essential part of any tuned car owners kit so I thought I'd better invest. Will be a steep learning curve getting this thing to work and start better understanding the black art of tuning.

Next update will be Thursday evening hopefully..
bass_straitener
-stickered-

Next

Return to Post your mods