HKS Dump pipe, need opinions please guys.

Exhaust modifications

HKS Dump pipe, need opinions please guys.

Postby t.renshaw34 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:28 am

So I've just got a HKS dump pipe and it's going on with my stock cat and stock pipes(including stock mufflers).
Just after opinions on what it will sound like. As I dont want a big exhaust noise. I like more induction/turbo noise. (already have that covered with K&N intake, hyperflow intercooler with silicone AVO piping and the boost up by 2psi)
If someone had a video or a link of a video of what it would or might sound like, that would be a big help.
:)
Project Lib - HKS-Killer B-STI-Ultrex-Stanza-Innovate-Perrin-Dynamat-DAMD-K2 Gear-BC-Kartboy-Whiteline-Cusco-Brembo-ROTA-Pirelli-Goodridge-Project MU-DBA-EBC-Garage 88-AVO-Redline-Carbign Craft-Walbro-ID-Kstech-Turbosmart-X Force-Rallitek
t.renshaw34

Car: 2005 Black Lib GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13404

Re: HKS Dump pipe, need opinions please guys.

Postby tangcla » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:42 am

I had the HKS down pipe, STi quad-tip mufflers, AVO intercooler, PSR silicone intake pipe and A'PEXi air filter. It's hard to quantify the sound, but it sounds like it does stock, but with more grunt or growl, if that makes sense. Very aggressive compared to stock. But it doesn't sound much louder.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby t.renshaw34 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:07 am

;)
Project Lib - HKS-Killer B-STI-Ultrex-Stanza-Innovate-Perrin-Dynamat-DAMD-K2 Gear-BC-Kartboy-Whiteline-Cusco-Brembo-ROTA-Pirelli-Goodridge-Project MU-DBA-EBC-Garage 88-AVO-Redline-Carbign Craft-Walbro-ID-Kstech-Turbosmart-X Force-Rallitek
t.renshaw34

Postby teflon » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:38 am

The induction noises will be louder than the change in exhaust note from the down pipe install. I have the Phat DP (modelled on the HKS) with HKS mufflers (which are actually quiter than stock mufflers) and there is not a lot of increase in noise, but as Clarence says it does sound more aggressive.
teflon

Car: 2004 MY05 Pearl White Liberty GT

Postby t.renshaw34 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:05 am

Sweet. Just that the old man drives my car to golf sometimes to show up his mates haha. Don't want a rice burner sound out the back. But keen as on that turbo/induction noise :D.
t.renshaw34

Postby AndrewCowley » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:32 am

IIRC so long as you leave the centre pipe alone you'll have something more aggressive than stock but without being over the top.

My 04 GT will soon get a PHAT dump pipe to go with the already fitted HKS panel filter, AVO intercooler and STi quad tips. Will be interesting to hear the result!
MY04 GT Sedan: HKS Panel Filter. AVO TMIC. PHAT Dump Pipe. STi Quads. Pulse Racing ECU Tune. DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors. Dixcel M Pads. Spec B Bilsteins. Swift Sport Springs. Whiteline F&R Swaybars. Whiteline FSB. J Speed LCA Bushes.
AndrewCowley

Postby t.renshaw34 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:45 am

nice :) thanks for the help guys.
next question... little off topic but still under the hood stuff...
was thinking of getting these but not really sure where they go or what they do?

http://www.avoturbo.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=26

the two i was looking at where...

Throttle Body hose
MSRP: $65.00
Turbo-Intercooler hose w/aluminum adapter plate (for JDM/AUDM vehicles)
MSRP: $89.00

dont need the other one as my K&N intake already has a silicone hose.
t.renshaw34

Postby AndrewCowley » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:52 am

t.renshaw34 wrote:nice :) thanks for the help guys.
next question... little off topic but still under the hood stuff...
was thinking of getting these but not really sure where they go or what they do?

http://www.avoturbo.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=26

the two i was looking at where...

Throttle Body hose
MSRP: $65.00
Turbo-Intercooler hose w/aluminum adapter plate (for JDM/AUDM vehicles)
MSRP: $89.00

dont need the other one as my K&N intake already has a silicone hose.

Do those hoses actually do anything I wonder? They just connect over the top of the existing connectors on both ends; i.e. how can you force more air through if the connectors on both ends are unchanged in diameter? Unless the stock hose is really ridiculously restrictive?
MY04 GT Sedan: HKS Panel Filter. AVO TMIC. PHAT Dump Pipe. STi Quads. Pulse Racing ECU Tune. DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors. Dixcel M Pads. Spec B Bilsteins. Swift Sport Springs. Whiteline F&R Swaybars. Whiteline FSB. J Speed LCA Bushes.
AndrewCowley

Postby hamish_023 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:56 am

Short inlet house replaces stock plastics hose which is corrugated. corrugated = not good for air flow.

If it really make much of a difference probably not much at all.
hamish_023

Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

Postby AndrewCowley » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:04 pm

hamish_023 wrote:Short inlet house replaces stock plastics hose which is corrugated. corrugated = not good for air flow.

Looks like an easy DIY mod though, even for a mechanical heathen like me. I'd probably jump in if there was a group buy. Especially since I have a HKS panel filter. Would be a lot more value though in going for a custom intake, but not sure what options exist there. Has always appeared to me that there isn't much space under the bonnet to fit a better intake.
AndrewCowley

Postby tangcla » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:06 pm

If you were in Melbourne I'd swap my big fat intake hose with yours.
Don't bother with the turbo to intercooler one, I've heard reports that it doesn't fit properly, plus it's such a short length it doesn't really do much anyway. For that matter I don't think the IC to TB one makes any difference either. Plus you can't see the bling.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby hamish_023 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:11 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:
hamish_023 wrote:Short inlet house replaces stock plastics hose which is corrugated. corrugated = not good for air flow.

Looks like an easy DIY mod though, even for a mechanical heathen like me. I'd probably jump in if there was a group buy. Especially since I have a HKS panel filter. Would be a lot more value though in going for a custom intake, but not sure what options exist there. Has always appeared to me that there isn't much space under the bonnet to fit a better intake.

The standard intake and box is more then sufficient with a few mods. I wouldn't bother changing it for a full custom.
hamish_023

Postby t.renshaw34 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:20 pm

Yea thats the same sort of answer I got from Sean at SnJ.
cheers guys. ill make a Profile once i get all my mods done.
Im on the Hunt for a rear sway bar too if anyones selling one. :D
t.renshaw34

Postby hamish_023 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:22 pm

Get the rear sway bar HD mounts to avoid snapping the stock ones as well
hamish_023

Postby t.renshaw34 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:04 pm

Cheers Hamish. How much do they go for around here?
t.renshaw34

Next

Return to Exhausts