Dual catback exhaust system

Here's where you can ask for suggestions what MODs you should consider. Let the experts tell you what you should add.

Re: Dual catback exhaust system

Postby stew07gt » Mon May 09, 2011 8:12 pm

Buying it tommorow.

Arith, when i do get it rekon it would be it worth putting up a sound clip? Attach it to your exhaust thread maybe? (assuming it sounds alright)
stew07gt
-stickered-

Car: MY05 GT MT (pearl white)
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14846

Postby hamish_023 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:10 pm

stew07gt wrote:Buying it tommorow.

Arith, when i do get it rekon it would be it worth putting up a sound clip? Attach it to your exhaust thread maybe? (assuming it sounds alright)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-L ... 5265wt_941

If only you lived in USA :D

$250 for this cat back, cheap
hamish_023

Car: Black Liberty GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10013

Postby stew07gt » Mon May 09, 2011 9:19 pm

haha, pretty sure thats the same thing, they must be flogging loads of these in the states
stew07gt
-stickered-

Postby Arith » Mon May 09, 2011 9:34 pm

stew07gt wrote:Arith, when i do get it rekon it would be it worth putting up a sound clip? Attach it to your exhaust thread maybe? (assuming it sounds alright)

Well, for the sake of reference you can do a recording the 1st day. But for the exhaust video clips section, perhaps wait 1 week or 2 after it's settled in and has a bit of carbon build up? :D

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby hamish_023 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:42 pm

stew07gt wrote:haha, pretty sure thats the same thing, they must be flogging loads of these in the states

Yeh it's the exact same things, hard to see how they can produce a full stainless catback for $250 with decent profit!
hamish_023

Postby Jim » Tue May 10, 2011 8:58 pm

Arith wrote:
stew07gt wrote:Arith, when i do get it rekon it would be it worth putting up a sound clip? Attach it to your exhaust thread maybe? (assuming it sounds alright)

Well, for the sake of reference you can do a recording the 1st day. But for the exhaust video clips section, perhaps wait 1 week or 2 after it's settled in and has a bit of carbon build up? :D

this man speaketh the truths.

It sounds great out of the box, it isnt at all loud and has a pleasant deep throb. Its sounds great after a few weeks.

Ill post a clip up when i get a chance of mine, although i have done the dump aswell, but you get the idea.
Jim

Car: MY07 GT-B

Postby stew07gt » Tue May 10, 2011 9:58 pm

this will be a very noob question, but what is a dump pipe actually worth/can it be fitted myself like the cat-back can be? I know everyone seems to suggest the ones phat makes, but i understand he doesnt really do one-offs. What are my best options? (no the budget does not have to follow the lines of this exhaust system :wink: )
stew07gt
-stickered-

Postby Jim » Wed May 11, 2011 6:23 pm

If you have a local exhaust sho that knows their stuff, they should be able to knock one up for you for a reasonable price. Phone around for soem quotes.

The dump pipe is the section between the turbo and usually the catylic converter or next flange. Also known as a down pipe.
Jim

Car: MY07 GT-B

Postby stew07gt » Wed May 11, 2011 6:44 pm

hmm not really, i live in maitland, and i wouldnt trust many people around here with jap cars. The trend seems to be if you dont own a falcon or commodore they cant help, unless your willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money, which is why i was hoping for an off the shelf job, even though it may hurt the wallet. How beneficial is getting a dump pipe really anyway? Would be awesome to see a dyno graph before and after the addition of a dump pipe.

I know its not much of a benefit to do mods without tuning, but i want to do most of my mods before i fork out for a tune. Also need advice on tuners in sydney... but ill save that for the tuning forum.
stew07gt
-stickered-

Postby stew07gt » Fri May 20, 2011 7:12 pm

so the results are in (pics to come).

good points
- cheap
- sounds really good, not too loud, no drone... but still loud enough when you punch it
- it is 3inch, and reduces into what i think are 2'1/4"s
- definately is stainless
- welds are of good quality, except for the bend going into the mufflers themselves, is a little bit messy and slightly restrictive but not much.

bad points
-didnt fit perfectly, centre and y-pipes were easy. Holes in flanges were possibly too large for the bolts provided. In some cases such as pipe entering muffler, there was very little room for tools with not quite enough straight before the bend, just made it fiddly (as cars always are) This section came with slotted holes for a reason!!!.
- without any hammering the mufflers ended up not actually being symetrical when looking from the back of the car. This annoyed me alot. Will be fixing these up, as i dont think the hangers are setup perfectly for it.
-insides of pipe ends inside of flange edge are a bit 'so-so'.
-Tips seem a bit long? they actually stick out a bit too far. Im considering changing the tips eventually. (not horrible looking, just not perfect)

Summary - If your alright on the tools and want a good sounding exhaust for really really cheap go for it. Sounds great. Helps me because now i can have money left over for a tune.
stew07gt
-stickered-

Postby stew07gt » Wed May 25, 2011 5:21 pm

pics added, excuse poor quality, iphone is fail.

stew07gt
-stickered-

Postby hamish_023 » Wed May 25, 2011 5:37 pm

Looks nice, got a sounds clip?
hamish_023

Postby stew07gt » Wed May 25, 2011 6:47 pm

nah no sound clip yet, will wait a bit based on ariths suggestion.
stew07gt
-stickered-

Postby legacydan » Wed May 25, 2011 9:35 pm

looks good, how does it sound? Is it much louder over standard? I know a guy thats looking to order one of these but he wasnt sure it would fit his jdm Legacy
legacydan

Car: Legacy b4 jdm import

Postby stew07gt » Wed May 25, 2011 10:01 pm

its noticably louder than standard, but on the freeway at 110 it sounds as quiet as the standard one with no drone. it didnt fit perfectly but pretty close, and couldnt argue with the price. ill put up a clip over the weekend.

After having it on for a week my only complaint would be that the actual tips stick out a bit too much, not by heaps but theyre fairly visible. will be either swapping mufflers or modifying these to something with quads if possible eventually.
stew07gt
-stickered-

PreviousNext

Return to Bling me up