I think I'll buy a Camry

Nearly everything is in here to start with.
If it's about your car, or Subaru's in general, put it in "Subaru Chat".

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby Robbks » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:07 pm

Blade Hunter wrote:
Robbks wrote:Nah, Turbo Sportivo Corolla.
Torque steering monster!!


Blade Hunter wrote:From what I hear (Never driven one myself) they were gutless piles of doodoo, created with the only reason being to get rid of the excess stock of that model rolla.

don;t listen to everything you hear...!
they had plenty of poke, and most of it was midrange, unlike the 2ZZ which only had decent power once the extra lift of the cams came in at 6500rpm
and the gear ratios were too short to make good use of it

Blade Hunter wrote:I did however have the next gen with the 2ZZ-GE motor, I don't have a bad thing to say about that car :).

I do.
built in South Africa (along with all of those model corollas with beige interior)
delivering them as new cars, we (Toyota Pre delivery department) had to pull half the dash apart and stuff them full of foam to stop the vibrations as the plastic components never fitted as well as the jap built versions.
plastic would break as it was lower quality (like Hyundais)

All the demo vesions we had needed new synchro's on 2nd and 3rd before they were sold after only 5000km
as they copped an absolute flogging and the synchro's could not handle it.
they had lots of warranty claims on stuffed synchro's

they were a hoot to drive, just couldn;t stand the punishment that they could deliver to themselves.
much like 5MT Turbo Subaru boxes.....!
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
User avatar
Robbks
 
Posts: 2185
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:21 am
Location: Hobart, Tas
Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Real name: Rob
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby neilgero » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:13 pm

why all the hate for 4 door toyotas? :(

not all of em are bad (well.. maybe aus delivered ones are). i had a jzx100 before the liberty, and mind you the build quality was excellent, the interior had no problems like those of nissan etc and the 1JZ was a bulletproof sonavabitch. they look good too :)

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp27 ... G_1745.jpg
User avatar
neilgero
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:41 am

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby tkboi » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:23 pm

lol now your talking about the 1jzx ect. those were beautiful cars man XD 1jz, 2jz any one of those done up properly could kill any car these days XD. love the old toyos
MY08 Liberty Obsidian Black Sedan 2.5i AT Limited Edition SAT NAV / 6000k HID, LED INTERIOR lights, LED Parkers, 8000k HID foggies, LED BRAKE lights, LED REVERSE lights/ ULTREX front grill and front lip / K2-GEAR Rear Window Spoiler / Alpine Type S speakers (front splits, rear coaxial), Digital Design 12inch sub, 5chan JL XD700/5, Dynamat Extreme (doors and boot lid) / Blitz pod filter + self made stainless steel intake piping / STI Quads, 2.25 stainless steel, TWE 4-1 headers / front and rear whiteline swaybars / JDM weathershields / Advan RS 18x8.5 +47 / front cusco brake stopper and rear strut brace / Upgraded GT brakes / JDM Camber Adjustable Bilsteins struts with eibach springs / PHAT lower control arm bushes / front HD swaybar links / Rear HD Cusco Swaybar Mount / Perrin Lightweight crank pulley / KIDO E85/98 fuel flex tune / Upgraded GT brakes, Pads - fronts - Ferodo DS2500 rears - Remsa HPT
User avatar
tkboi
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:52 pm
Location: Adelaide, SA
Car: MY08 AT 2.5i Sedan
Real name: Tommy

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby neilgero » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:08 am

japanese hero cars of the 90's are gone, and with it went toyota except out of japan where theyre still rockin hard with big 4 door saloon cars. had the world received the X chassis cars that was exclusive to the japanese market , it would be a different story today imo as most jap toyos sedans are rwd and have decent engine packages.

not in the too distant future im hoping to get me one of these fat kents:

Image
Image

so lets not be too hasty in writing off Toyota aye, there is still some hope (unless toyota japan changes its mind about selling these sexy cars to the outside market then expect more bland avalon spec cars), especially in knowing they now they have their hands in the subaru basket too ;)

sorry subie lovers, id trade my liberty for another jzx100, mebe even a jzx110 mk2 . im a toyo fgt through and through. :assassin:
User avatar
neilgero
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:41 am

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby SegR » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:21 pm

neilgero wrote:Toyota... now they have their hands in the subaru basket too ;)


What do you mean by this?
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR
 
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Brisbane
Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby The Sean » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:55 pm

I think Toyota owns a decent percentage of either Subaru or the parent company Fuji Heavy Industries, one or the other
Now that I'm in North America, I'm greatly concerned about raised pick-up trucks and owners of wedge shaped vehicles. Seriously, not only do you have to be concerned about one hitting you in an accident, they stand a good chance of driving over you at the same time!
The Sean
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:27 am
Location: Vancouver BC, Canadia
Car: Want a '06-'09 F150 (When in Rome!)
Real name: Sean

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby neilgero » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:08 pm

toyota + subaru = toyobaru. think FT-86 and new Wrx ( imprezza is now going to be a stand alone model apparently):

toyota and subaru jointly designed project. toyota wanted a car that would resemble and reignite the passion for rwd sports coupes and will be using subaru engines. the toyota will recieve the NA while the subaru will use prob use the sti engine etc.

heres some teasers;

Image

Image

see the resemblance?
User avatar
neilgero
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:41 am

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby tangcla » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:23 pm

neilgero wrote:japanese hero cars of the 90's are gone, and with it went toyota except out of japan where theyre still rockin hard with big 4 door saloon cars. had the world received the X chassis cars that was exclusive to the japanese market , it would be a different story today imo as most jap toyos sedans are rwd and have decent engine packages.

not in the too distant future im hoping to get me one of these fat kents:

You mean the JDM Aurion? :P
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
User avatar
tangcla
 
Posts: 7409
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:47 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Real name: Clarence
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby neilgero » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:42 pm

no way mang! i want an avalon! :bad:
User avatar
neilgero
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:41 am

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby SegR » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:23 pm

Oh that's right; I completely forgot about the toyobaru thing.
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR
 
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Brisbane
Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby Ric » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:30 pm

User avatar
Ric
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6481
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:08 pm
Location: Melbourne
Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Real name: Ric
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby Blade Hunter » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:58 am

Robbks wrote:
Blade Hunter wrote:
Robbks wrote:Nah, Turbo Sportivo Corolla.
Torque steering monster!!


Blade Hunter wrote:From what I hear (Never driven one myself) they were gutless piles of doodoo, created with the only reason being to get rid of the excess stock of that model rolla.

don;t listen to everything you hear...!
they had plenty of poke, and most of it was midrange, unlike the 2ZZ which only had decent power once the extra lift of the cams came in at 6500rpm
and the gear ratios were too short to make good use of it

Blade Hunter wrote:I did however have the next gen with the 2ZZ-GE motor, I don't have a bad thing to say about that car :).

I do.
built in South Africa (along with all of those model corollas with beige interior)
delivering them as new cars, we (Toyota Pre delivery department) had to pull half the dash apart and stuff them full of foam to stop the vibrations as the plastic components never fitted as well as the jap built versions.
plastic would break as it was lower quality (like Hyundais)

All the demo vesions we had needed new synchro's on 2nd and 3rd before they were sold after only 5000km
as they copped an absolute flogging and the synchro's could not handle it.
they had lots of warranty claims on stuffed synchro's

they were a hoot to drive, just couldn;t stand the punishment that they could deliver to themselves.
much like 5MT Turbo Subaru boxes.....!


Yeah mine had second synchro's replace under warranty but other than that no probs, had it for 7 years, didn't even service it between 50K and 150K and it still ran sweet.
User avatar
Blade Hunter
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:46 pm
Location: Northmead, NSW
Car: MY10 GT sold, now Mazda MX5 ND 2L GT
Real name: Dan

Previous

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests