Tuning the 3.0R by Xtreme Racing Tuning (Tuner: West_Minist)

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: Tuning the 3.0R by Xtreme Racing Tuning (Tuner: West_Minist)

Postby at last! » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:05 pm

Well well, after a few months away from the forum it's absolutely fantastic to see progress on the ROM's for the H6's

Well done Edward and David for leading the way. Keep up the regular posting as this is shaping up very very well.

PS...When you are done, I'd certainly be keen to look at getting this ROM on my engine.
MY07 3.0R Auto
Reversing camera, "road kill" sound deadener in all doors and parcel shelf. Whiteline sway bars (front and rear).
Dyno Tune by Vin @ Docklands STi +10-12KW and much better response. Got a 3.0R? Do it now.
at last!

Postby west_minist » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:04 am

LOl. Thank you. I can tell you that yhe 07 DBW needs work. It sucks for those who drives!

Reviewing the tuning from stock to the level which we are at now, v5b, power is pretty much the same, except that we have improve the general response of the car in low to mid range, especially when in power mode (Normal),along with DBW.

Like I said before, making power in NA is difficult, especially when power is almost peaked. Power comes from mods. But will see what happens with AVCS tuning. version 5C rom has been release and as soon as david have 5c data in and the pinging is virtual zero for the gas he is on and his engine dynamics, AVCS testing will start.
west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

v5b Stats

Postby west_minist » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:06 am

As you can see, tuning for the gas is almost completed. The most timing pulled/pinging was a 6th Gear pull. v5c will correct the issues shown below in FLKC and FKC.

3rd Gear Dyno @ IAT=25C

Once 5c data is in, its only to AVCS testing. So close, but still really far away :) lol

The reply below still stands
BlackFlatSix05 wrote:So far without even touching AVCS or adding any timing the car feels great. Very smooth power delivery and the jerky power band that use to kick in has gone replaced by linear acceleration.

David.
west_minist

v5c1

Postby west_minist » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:35 am

v5c1 Stats - IAM starts at 0 after reflashing. Seems like ECU Programming logic which makes good sense.

5c1 3rd Gear Dyno @ IAT=22C #1 kw - smoothing=15.png
5c1 3rd Gear Dyno @ IAT=22C #1 kw - smoothing=15.png (20.35 KiB) Viewed 9161 times

5c1 3rd Gear Dyno @ IAT=22C #1 kw smoothing=18.png
5c1 3rd Gear Dyno @ IAT=22C #1 kw smoothing=18.png (20.5 KiB) Viewed 9160 times

v6 release which will contain AVCS tuning, along with corrections made from above from v5c1

TO keep this forum posting short instead of being winded, I will post firm results. I may not post tuned AVCS timing tables. Depending on the work that goes in the results, I will make the determination if 3R tuning is worthwhile. Because I custom tune each of my customers cars, I really never pay attention to based maps. Sorry. I also tune race cars, so custom is the key. But again, based on David's feedback, I will see if the time put in is worth it and if I can release a based map, I will. Costing???? I am not sure. Seeing what is out there, I can sure guarantee it has to be based maps. Not hardcore custom tuning. So that is another determination. But what I can say, if it is a based, it will be very competitively priced.

If these cars had the ECO/Normal switch like the JDM models, I can sure guarantee you greater Normal power. lol. But at the end of the day, the car is a beautiful car and I wish it came running 11psi on 9.5 compression like the 2.0 and 2.5 legacies. It would make a wonderful car.

Maybe in the future, the EZ30R could be a project for my GC8 with a single GT3076R running the Hydra EMS. Now that would be fun and the sound!!! Just sweet.

Again, please do not get me wrong. This is a beautiful executive car, with a beautiful sound!
west_minist

Postby at last! » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:59 am

Thanks for the updates and looking forward to see how it plays out.

I had a mild tune done by a guy here at Melb. Subaru (Vin) and it took care of most of the DBW issues and gave a bit more power but it was mostly the drivability, so yes, these can be resolved....but I am sure there is more to be done.

Cheers and thanks again.
MY07 3.0R Auto
Reversing camera, "road kill" sound deadener in all doors and parcel shelf. Whiteline sway bars (front and rear).
Dyno Tune by Vin @ Docklands STi +10-12KW and much better response. Got a 3.0R? Do it now.
at last!

Postby west_minist » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:57 pm

Due to the environmental changes, it is very hard to say that power has increase substantially or to a noticeable amount. What has change in respect to the owners feedback is that the car has become responsive and the DBW performance has improved.

AVCS tuning, unless more is perform where we run less for testing, has showed no improvement and the maximum map set of 50 seems to be the max it will go. I would pretty say the car is max out as it is. I am not sure of the other markets, including JDM, but modifying it and working the Ignition map for the gas it runs now, makes the car very consistent.

Here are my thoughts on the ADM 2004-2005 Liberty:
    DBW needs tuning to improve throttle response and control
    Fuel requirements for the car is a little higher than usual and in some cars, maybe a little to high, cause great inconsistencies in power delivery and operation
    The fuel map looks good, but could be a little richer in some areas and leaner in others
    Modding the car and reworking the Ignition maps for consistencies on gas is a major aim for consistent power and operations
    The AVCS map seems optimised, but at this point in time, data is inconclusive.

I look forward to your thoughts.

I personal think that tuning the DBW and working the ignition map for Aussie gas, is the key in tuning along with mods such as a full exhaust, exhaust headers and intake systems.

If anyone is interested in just DBW changes tuning, along with the reduction of pinging causing varying performance levels, please pm me.

v8 3rd Gear Dyno Comparisons
Last edited by west_minist on Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
west_minist

Postby parso_rex » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:06 pm

west_minist wrote:Here are my thoughts on the ADM 2004-2005 Liberty:
    DBW needs tuning to improve throttle response and control
    Fuel requirements for the car is a little higher than usual and in some cars, maybe a little to high, cause great inconsistencies in power delivery and operation
    The fuel map looks good, but could be a little richer in some areas and leaner in others
    Modding the car and reworking the Ignition maps for consistencies on gas is a major aim for consistent power and operations
    The AVCS map seems optimised, but at this point in time, data is inconclusive.

I look forward to your thoughts.

There is a big issue with the ADM 04,05,06 2L LGT's I haven't seen one with its IAM on 1.0 If you compare the JDM legacy same year & spec they run the same boost target values the same base timing (A&B) and Same ingnition advance apart from some changes to map B (reduced advance as you would expect) AVCS same too . Its as though they just grabbed the JDM map thrown it into the ADM ecu tweaked a few cells in one map stuffed up the OLCL delay for a laugh then shipped it off shore. :lol:
Euro Remappers.www.recode.net.au
parso_rex

Car: Liberty GTspecB, 04STI, A3 1.8T

Postby west_minist » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:44 am

You are so correct. i think I mentioned that in a post.

I am not sure when I can start the JDM here, but it seems ok, but the good thing is, I have an eco switch. So we can tune the Normal out.

But right now I am coming up with options for this model. XRT will just offer DBW and Gas tuning. I will await the testee results on the rom. So far he is very happy with the response of the car. I may reset the fuel map, cl/ol stuff and see what he thinks.
west_minist

Postby west_minist » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:47 am

Would love to boost it at 6-9psi :) lol.
west_minist

Postby BlackFlatSix05 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:34 pm

The tuning process is almost complete. We began with Edward’s test or finding rom V0 and we are up to V9 however some of the versions were numbered V1a, V1b, V1c etc so many hours of data collection and too many logs of cruise and pulls in all gears from 1st to 6th have been done as well as many kilometers and tanks of BP Ultimate.

Some unseasonably cold weather and now hot weather have made the results somewhat difficult to determine but I have to say that the results are superb.

We started with a car that was constantly trying to find a happy medium by pulling timing due to knock/pinging and an IAM which was all over the place not to mention what can only be described as an uninspiring dead or lazy throttle response.

What Edward has done is made the car come alive the way it should have been when it left the factory. He has tuned the car to suit our fuel and our atmospheric conditions which has transformed the car into something much more acceptable to someone who enjoys driving a drivers car.

The changes to the DBW maps gives the car much quicker and crisper response to light throttle application and the power delivery is more linear just like a cable operated throttle. You actually get in acceleration what input you give the pedal and you don’t need much of it to make it all happen with no delay.

I did ask Edward to make the DBW more aggressive which he did and I like it. Even from his first touch of the rom it was better. He made it like that from the beginning to make it constant for tuning purposes and he told me he would make it more aggressive for me once the tuning was finished which he did.

I still need to provide Edward some logs of rom V9 which I hope to do in the next few days but I’m really happy with how the car is performing so what ever tweaks need to be done now will only be very minor.

If you own a H6 then get yourself a Tactix cable and PM Edward. I’m sure he will help you with a competitively priced tune and you will benefit from the work I have done with him. I was in communication with another well known internet tuner who I was going to use however he had not tuned a H6 either so had no data or base roms to start with. Edward has all the data from my car so it should all happen quickly and smoothly.

Own a H6 ? Do it now.

David.
04 MY05 Obsidian Black 3.0R Spec B Sedan 6MT. Hi Tech Quads, HKS Panel Filter.
Viciously Tuned By Xtreme Racing Tuning, Barbados.
BlackFlatSix05

Car: MY05 3.0 Spec B

Postby west_minist » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:05 pm

David, thank you for the review here and on xtremeracingtuning.com

It was interesting to see the 3.0R in operation and I can only dream how it feels and the sound out the exhaust.

Guys, if you are interested in getting the DBW tuned, along with tuning for your fuel, please PM me.

Because of the time it takes and the effort, I think charging H6 owners a modest fee of $$$ for the whole tune seems very reasonable. Turbo owners gets charge $600usd for stage 1. Because of the small power increase and very little room for tremendous power, H6 tuning should not be expensive.

Going through logs takes a very long time, especially if it is a driving log like what you see above. I literally drive through the log to get a feeling for the car and driver style. Like for example, David seems to like to drive in torque, because his power is 6000+, but he shift at 5500+. lol

The time for tuning takes as long as you can get back the logs to me. So if you are interested, please PM me or email me at socob.bb@gmail.com for details. I can also be reach at west_minist@xtremeracingtuning.com

I look forward to your queries.
Last edited by west_minist on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
West_Minist

Subaru Diagnostics & Logging Reviewer
Subaru Expert Tuner
http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum
info@xtremeracingtuning.com

Facebook

Viciously Tuned, Driven Hard
west_minist

Postby west_minist » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:50 am

west_minist

Postby specbtommy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:05 am

great review mate.

i will be getting mine. done.. should be getting a new engine soon. and i'll have to run that in.

5000km? and it will be safe to tune?

i will PM you to ge my car done. thats for sure.

question.. if i get the car tuned as is now... and later on i decide i want extractors on it.. how much will it cost to retune?
specbtommy

Car: 2006 liberty spec b

Postby west_minist » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:23 am

The car can be tune any time. Some people incourage you to take it easy with the car. So its a toss up.

If you drive her normal, lol, tuning would be ok, as I just remove pinging, but give her until next year as you put on more mileage
I can start tuning in the sense of the DBW. Thats easy. So its up to you.

If you put extractors on, I cannot say what big difference in the tuning it will make, but I would expect the same fee, but it depends on the logs. Once you pay for first tune and updates are small, its fee. If I see massive changes, then and this takes time. As I stated to everyone, I really custom tune. SO lets play it by air.

Customer who perform tuning remotely have access to me using the following:
  1. Skype
  2. AIM
  3. Yahoo
  4. MSN
  5. E-Mail
  6. XRT private area on the forum
west_minist

Postby parso_rex » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:15 am

I think West_Minist's services should definitely be considered as an option if you're thinking of improving your Libertys performance. I know from following the various forums over the years he has been in the industry a long time and certainly knows what he's doing. The big bonus I see is that you get to play a part in the tuning process and hopefully develop a clearer picture of whats involved and maybe even learn something. It is quite interesting.
Certainly is a definite for those in cities not serviced by the regular tuners all you would need is access to an openport cable and laptop.

and no I have no ties with west_minist before anyone goes all conspiracy theory LOL :lol:
Euro Remappers.www.recode.net.au
parso_rex

Car: Liberty GTspecB, 04STI, A3 1.8T

PreviousNext

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific