Group Buy

Re: Group Buy

Postby bosc0 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:59 pm

Plans for another group buy Scott.... i'm keener than a vampire riding a menstural cycle.
bosc0

Car: GT SpecB wagon

Postby paggaz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:26 pm

I've changed the Tapturn to 4 blinks...but I think I might even to extend it to 5.

Wig wag while driving is the greatest when creeping up on friends at night! :lol:
paggaz

Car: 2007 GT Spec.B Wagon Silver
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17423#p241526

Postby DownUnder » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:55 pm

scottmcphee wrote:And now that you have Tapturn, are you going to want RRAP for the car next?

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=23346

I'm on the cusp of deciding if I should breathe a refresh into that product.

Cheers
Scott

If you did a V2 could you release a V1 schematic. I've got beefy relay harnesses lying around :)
Tapturn is at 5 blinks. I like it that way :)
Btw being a bit of a nerd the first thing I did when I got the tapturn was pull the cover off and take a look. Firstly, love the purple solder mask. Looks very nice. I also love your use of solder channels to handle the high current. You've really designed it well :D very efficient board use. Seriously I know some people that could learn a thing or two from you. Permission to post a pic? :angel:
TOM

2004 MY04 2.5i Liberty Wagon (5MT)
DownUnder

Car: 2004 MY04 Liberty 2.5i Wagon Manual
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24070

Postby scottmcphee » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:46 pm

I'd prefer not showing the guts online, I do appreciate your kind words And review of some of the design choices I've made inside.

Maybe can sum it up by saying that these things are staying in their cars and not coming back, I like to think these are over-engineered a bit - my nature.

One thing you can't see is the silkscreen markings under the relays... Unless you rip the relays off.. But don't! I'll spare you: "Happy Travels"

Scott
scottmcphee

Car: 2006 Legacy wagon 2.5i
Profile URL: http://www.autowindow.com/orderTAP.html

Postby tony_m » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:11 am

Definitely keen for RRAP- 2 even! Need a bit of time to gather funds though. Old man has an outback and gets the shits more than I do about the lack of acc/window power after key out. Nice xmas gift I reckon..? Plus one for me of course.
tony_m

Car: 2008 Heritage Luxury Edition
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23965

Postby HoFF » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:42 am

I'm more interested in RRAP then tapturn
HoFF
-stickered-

Car: MY06 3RB Liberty Wagon 6MT MY09 Foz
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13577&start=255

Postby scottmcphee » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:58 am

HoFF wrote:I'm more interested in RRAP then tapturn

Hop on the RRAP thread in my vendor space here,.I'm asking some key questions that would influence a redesign of RRAP...

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=23346
scottmcphee

Postby scottmcphee » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:15 pm

I'm playing with strobe modes you might catch wind of over on this thread,
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=23277

Before anybody even asks I'll answer a few questions...

No, this was nowhere near being a reality when I was doing group buy, or else I would have told you about it then and try to offer it as a choice. It was merely a glint in my eye, or somewhere deep in my head of something I might try one day.

Yes, it would cost more than the standard tapturn anyway... This strobe one adds a parallel processor to the design.

Here's the good part, yes, everyone on the group buy has a compatible unit that can be upgraded with these features by me adding the parallel processor to your unit. I would literally solder another programmed chip onto the back of the existing chip inside. Nuts hey!? I call it "StrobePack"

No, I can't do the modification over the Internet you'd have to send the unit back for the work! Sorry it's R&R time again, twice. But at least you know how now, right?

My offer to you group buyers is get your unit back to me along with PayPal AUD$38 which covers the second processor, the upgrade rework, and return shipping cost. Your same unit comes back to you rigged for strobes to play with and a new instruction page telling you how to change strobe mode.
scottmcphee

Postby jakey » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:32 pm

scottmcphee wrote:I'm playing with strobe modes you might catch wind of over on this thread,
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=23277

Before anybody even asks I'll answer a few questions...

No, this was nowhere near being a reality when I was doing group buy, or else I would have told you about it then and try to offer it as a choice. It was merely a glint in my eye, or somewhere deep in my head of something I might try one day.

Yes, it would cost more than the standard tapturn anyway... This strobe one adds a parallel processor to the design.

Here's the good part, yes, everyone on the group buy has a compatible unit that can be upgraded with these features by me adding the parallel processor to your unit. I would literally solder another programmed chip onto the back of the existing chip inside. Nuts hey!? I call it "StrobePack"

No, I can't do the modification over the Internet you'd have to send the unit back for the work! Sorry it's R&R time again, twice. But at least you know how now, right?

My offer to you group buyers is get your unit back to me along with PayPal AUD$38 which covers the second processor, the upgrade rework, and return shipping cost. Your same unit comes back to you rigged for strobes to play with and a new instruction page telling you how to change strobe mode.

Sold. Do you want e-mail or PM - also do you expect it to work with halogens or should be upgrade to LED's?
-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Car: UBARU - 2005 MY06 3.0R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15489

Postby DownUnder » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:28 pm

jakey wrote:Sold. Do you want e-mail or PM - also do you expect it to work with halogens or should be upgrade to LED's?

Just upgrade to LED. I did last month and it's awesome. :)

Also Scott what about the risk of damage to the relay that you were discussing? I know you said it could be alleviated with LED's but not everyone using tapturn have them...
TOM

2004 MY04 2.5i Liberty Wagon (5MT)
DownUnder

Car: 2004 MY04 Liberty 2.5i Wagon Manual
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24070

Postby scottmcphee » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:12 am

jakey wrote: Sold. Do you want e-mail or PM - also do you expect it to work with halogens or should be upgrade to LED's?

PM'd

Strobing functions the same on stock bulbs or LEDs.
The videos I posted are on my car's stock bulbs.

Strobing would look more excellent on LEDs!
LED's will have less fade on/off, and really crisp on/off snaps.

If anybody is looking for the reason to upgrade to LED's this should push them over that edge!

Cheers
Scott
Last edited by scottmcphee on Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
scottmcphee

Postby scottmcphee » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:19 am

DownUnder wrote:Also Scott what about the risk of damage to the relay that you were discussing? I know you said it could be alleviated with LED's but not everyone using tapturn have them...

TOM, true true the relays are working twice as much for each strobe compared to regular non-strobed blinks.
And they'll make a heck of a chatter on strobed wig wag which sounds quite unusual.. tickity tickity tickty ...

Keep in mind things strobe only as much as you set it, and how much you use strobes.
The highest use setting for strobes is strobed signals.
All other modes are just how much you'd use hazards.
Note that slow motion modifiers strobe stretches the 2x strobe to a 4x strobe pattern, but the number of relay contacts over time is constant because there's twice as much rest between strobing periods.

In theory, strobed signals would halve the lifetime of relays going by their mechanical repetition MTBF rating...
And also related is how much current you're pushing. Less current more life on the electrical contacts, so LEDs are better.

Given all this I can only warranty strobe kits for 10 years free replacement instead of 20 years for the usual Tapturn ;-)

Cheers
Scott
scottmcphee

Postby scottmcphee » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:52 am

Oh, full disclosure:

On refurbished units, they'll come with strobes disabled. You must enable strobes yourself. Of course instruction sheet comes with it, but I'll describe quickly here:

To enable strobes you follow the same sequence used to enable hazard modifiers to work while ignition is on.
This is also how you advance to the next strobe mode. These are the modes:
0. Strobe never. (Factory default). This is standard tapturn as you know it.
1. Strobe Hazards only when IGN OFF. This includes modifier modes: wigwag slowmo and easter egg.
2. Strobe Hazards always. IGN on or off. Modifiers too.
3. Strobe Signals and Hazards always. Basically any time any signal bulbs goes on it is strobed.

An implication here is that you must enable hazard modifiers to work while IGN is on in order to use any strobe mode.
This is probably not a big deal to people but be aware you are doing a couple things with the same programming action.

Also, when you do a factory reset, three things now happen:
- tap blinks goes back to 3
- hazard modifiers only work when IGN is off
- strobes are disabled

By the way.... all Tapturn units I ship new now have hazard modifiers pre-enabled and permanently enabled to work while IGN is on. It's no longer a choice, and no longer necessary for user to enable them, they're just available to use all the time.
scottmcphee

Postby scottmcphee » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:27 am

I'm offering a refresh opportunity to the list of original group buyers here.

Check this out:

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=23277&p=364082#p364082
scottmcphee

Postby hojoos » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:51 am

Luckily in Australia we don't pay duties till the item is worth over $1000AUD. Post usually covers any customs fees etc.
Last edited by Ric on Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spammer: see following post
hojoos
I've been banned

Car: with Ca

PreviousNext

Return to TapTurn