TapTurn flasher - convenience signaling for Liberty

TapTurn flasher - convenience signaling for Liberty

Postby scottmcphee » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:18 pm

This is the best flasher relay you can buy for your car, adds tons of new function and solves many issues when upgrading to LED signal lights. Works with all LED packages, what you already have, or plan to get. But you don't need LED signals to enjoy TapTurn - it makes use of regular bulbs too!

TapTurn is a simple plug-and-play flasher relay upgrade that adds convenience signaling. By just tapping the signal stalk you get 3 blinks in that direction, then self-cancels. Almost all new cars seem to have this feature now, but for some reason was forgotten by Subaru. TapTurn was born primarily to solve this problem of omission - every car should have convenience signaling this day and age.

TapTurn looks like a stock flasher and has the exact same connector:

Convenience signaling is really just the start of what TapTurn does. It's actually a bit crazy what fun and flexible features have been packed into this flasher... it's microprocessor controlled and really challenges the limits of what a flasher can do for your car!

Check out highlights of what TapTurn offers:
  • Tap-to-signal a stream of blinks, this works seamlessly alongside other standard modes of signaling. Use what you need when you want.
  • Tap-to-cancel a stream of convenience blinks if you don't want to wait for all to finish. Surprisingly many new vehicles with convenience signaling can't do this!
  • User programmable convenience blinks setting from 3 (default) to 6 blinks. This change is done using just the signal stalk.. taking a few seconds to make a change while parked.
  • Additional hazard flasher modes, done by using the signal stalk when the hazard switch is on, as follows:
    • wig-wag alternating side to side flashing (when signal stalk is UP)
    • slow-motion 4-way (when signal stalk is DOWN)
    • normal 4-way (when signal stalk is not used)
    • OK, there's a fourth hidden mode... ask about the Easter egg
  • Programmable setting to restrict or enable use of new hazard flash modes while ignition is on, in other words, while driving. (The new modes are always available when ignition is off, while parked.)
  • LED signal light bulb compatibility - any bulb in any socket works with TapTurn.
  • Eliminates need for load resistors on LED signal bulbs... forget about having to use load resistors. Take 'em out if you've already put them in.
  • No hyperblinking, ever! Regardless of what kind of bulbs you have anywhere on the car, you get proper speed signal blinking, guaranteed!
  • Well behaved alarm / remote / lock confirmations that just work exactly like they should, guaranteed!
  • No lazy, short, slow, missing or malformed blinks under any circumstances, guaranteed! You always get perfect flashes. Junk that CF18-xx flasher you bought for LEDs.
  • You can temporarily disable just the convenience signaling feature of TapTurn (effectively returning to stock signal functions only). Useful if an alternate driver doesn't want the feature, but you do later. Toggle convenience signaling ON/OFF using just the signal stalk in literally a few seconds before setting off to drive.
  • Finally, a software reset allows you to put TapTurn back to original as-shipped condition, if things got out of hand with program options and you want instant sanity. Doing a "three finger salute" using the hazard switch, signal stalk, and ignition key puts TapTurn back to original state.

This module installs up under the dash near the steering column, pretty easy to find and replace the stock flasher. Just turn on the hazards, listen for the clicks, feel for the vibrations, and pull that sucker out. Put TapTurn in its place and you're done in a few minutes. You don't even need to disconnect battery for this install.

You can order here. Made and assembled in Canada, ships world-wide.

Check out the list of supported vehicles Toyota, Lexus, Pontiac, Scion, Subaru... you might own more than one car on this list. Yes, we'll combine shipping on multiples and pass that saving on to you.
scottmcphee

Car: 2006 Legacy wagon 2.5i
Profile URL: http://www.autowindow.com/orderTAP.html

Re: TapTurn flasher - convenience signaling for Liberty

Postby jakey » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:49 pm

Welcome! Group buy deal to get you started? :-)
-Jakey-UBARU
jakey

Car: UBARU - 2005 MY06 3.0R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15489

Postby scottmcphee » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:29 pm

jakey wrote:Welcome! Group buy deal to get you started? :-)

Done, check it out in group buys or my vendor group Tap Turn.
scottmcphee

Postby cameron » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:48 pm

what about 07xt. they run a canbus ecu so will it work?
cameron

Car: liberty

Postby scottmcphee » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:23 am

cameron wrote:what about 07xt. they run a canbus ecu so will it work?

Subaru BRZ all years
Subaru Impreza 2008 up aka: Outback, Sport
Subaru XV Crosstrek 2012 up
Subaru Forester 2009+
Subaru Outback 2005 up
Subaru Legacy 2004 up aka: Liberty
Subaru WRX 2008 up
Subaru STI 2008 up
Subaru Tribeca 2006 up

TapTurn has nothing to do with CANBUS. The Denso flasher in the car is not on the bus, and neither is TapTurn.
scottmcphee

Postby DownUnder » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:06 pm

I have one question about this module. If a globe blows will it flash fast? Sometimes that's a convenient feature if you don't regularly check your globes. I understand that might be out of the MCU's capability.
TOM

2004 MY04 2.5i Liberty Wagon (5MT)
DownUnder

Car: 2004 MY04 Liberty 2.5i Wagon Manual
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24070

Postby Ric » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:43 pm

DownUnder wrote:I have one question about this module. If a globe blows will it flash fast? Sometimes that's a convenient feature if you don't regularly check your globes. I understand that might be out of the MCU's capability.

From the previous discussion, I would say no. Scott has made a point of saying it will flash at the same rate, regardless of the load.
Just replace your globes with LEDs, and don't worry about them ever blowing ;)
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:13 pm

Easter Egg?
Team White GenV GT Manual Wagon with fluffy dice

Mods (in order): Blacked out E-tag, drift spec fluffy dice, BC BR coilovers, strobe comfort flasher, de-badged tailgate + new GT badge, Prova Si knob, Tommy Kaira front grill + Gt badge, Cusco Strut brace (front), Prova blue mirrors, SSW Phoenix 20" black Stance SC-7 20" black, Nitto 35 series tyres, HKS filter, DAMD rear wing, Valenti smoked tail lights, LED rear reflectors, Headlights and others by Leo (hks180), Cusco rear sway bar, Full Invidia Q300 TBE, AVO TMIC, Summit Racing rear strut brace, KiDo Tune, front Cusco swaybar, upgraded LCA bushes, Valenti smoked centre tail light
Build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22731
lump_a_charcoal

Car: 2013 Land Rover Defender 110

Postby scottmcphee » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:12 am

Ric wrote:
DownUnder wrote:I have one question about this module. If a globe blows will it flash fast? Sometimes that's a convenient feature if you don't regularly check your globes. I understand that might be out of the MCU's capability.

From the previous discussion, I would say no. Scott has made a point of saying it will flash at the same rate, regardless of the load.
Just replace your globes with LEDs, and don't worry about them ever blowing ;)

Correct! I didnt' put current balancing tests into Tap Turn... so it will tolerate any bulb combo, and ignore blow outs of incandescent.
LEDs typically don't fail.. Quick blink is becoming a bit of a flash from the past..

Trivia: Did you know the rules for quick blink on blow outs originates from AUSTRALIA and the world has adopted it?
scottmcphee

Postby scottmcphee » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:15 am

lump_a_charcoal wrote:Easter Egg?

Aha! Somebody is reading...

You can get a "slow wig wag" by going into wig wag first, then knocking your signal stalk down from right to left position very quickly (within the period of one flash)... and you might get wig wag slowing down to half speed... if you do it with the right finesse.

Cheers!
scottmcphee

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:52 am

I can't get wig wag at all, what hope do I have?

Mods (in order): Blacked out E-tag, drift spec fluffy dice, BC BR coilovers, strobe comfort flasher, de-badged tailgate + new GT badge, Prova Si knob, Tommy Kaira front grill + Gt badge, Cusco Strut brace (front), Prova blue mirrors, SSW Phoenix 20" black Stance SC-7 20" black, Nitto 35 series tyres, HKS filter, DAMD rear wing, Valenti smoked tail lights, LED rear reflectors, Headlights and others by Leo (hks180), Cusco rear sway bar, Full Invidia Q300 TBE, AVO TMIC, Summit Racing rear strut brace, KiDo Tune, front Cusco swaybar, upgraded LCA bushes, Valenti smoked centre tail light
lump_a_charcoal

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:43 am

I was hoping the easter egg was chaser mode. :P
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Ric » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:16 am

Try this.

Press the hazard light button. Then in synchronisation with each flash:
* Tap blinker stalk up once
* Down twice
* Up twice
* Down once
* Down Twice
* Down once

Listen for the Canadian National Anthem.
Can't hear it? Damn, you must have got the cheap version! ;)
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby scottmcphee » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:04 pm

lump_a_charcoal wrote:I can't get wig wag at all, what hope do I have?

What vintage of Tap Turn are we talking here? Very old ones had no hazard modifiers. But everything sold (from me) over the last year or so has these features.

Car off. Hazards switched on. Turn stalk flipped up (signal right position). You should get wig wag if the unit you have is capable of it. PM me to diagnose further, take pix of flasher you have. Point me at your transaction. We will get to the bottom of this.
scottmcphee

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:50 pm

scottmcphee wrote:
lump_a_charcoal wrote:I can't get wig wag at all, what hope do I have?

What vintage of Tap Turn are we talking here? Very old ones had no hazard modifiers. But everything sold (from me) over the last year or so has these features.

Car off. Hazards switched on. Turn stalk flipped up (signal right position). You should get wig wag if the unit you have is capable of it. PM me to diagnose further, take pix of flasher you have. Point me at your transaction. We will get to the bottom of this.

I bought it about 6 weeks ago. It will wig wag when the car is off, but not when it's on.

I take it you are talking about a LHD vehicle, because our stalks go down to turn right.

Are you saying that, with the car off, I turn on hazards, indicate left, and that will enable wig wag whilst driving?

EDIT - sorry for blocking up your thread, I'll take this off line if you like.

lump_a_charcoal

Next

Return to TapTurn