GT Sti #084 reporting in!

Introduce yourself

GT Sti #084 reporting in!

Postby Dibbo » Tue May 22, 2007 6:48 pm

Have been lurking for a few weeks reading most of your posts [plus the MRT web site] while deciding what car to buy – had an MY04 3.0RB and time to change.

Tested the new 3.0Rb and they fixed a few quirks but no massive changes.
The standard GT was a disappointment to me as I thought the 2.5 would solve the lack of power under 4000rpm, but no. Still a slug unless you rev the crap out of it – then it boogies. Not my driving style anymore.

Was serious about the 3.2 V6 VW Pisser with DGS gearbox - I can hear you laughing however it’s a smooth powerful combo until you see the resale value and options list. Then last change the dealer gave me a squirt in the Sti tuned GT – now we’re talking.

Just can’t believe the difference between a GT & the Sti – completely different cars. This is what the GT power should have been like from the start.
The price was high, but the early power delivery, great brakes & healthy exhaust tune had me sold. So bingo we had a sale and number 084 was gone.

I know this will erk some people but if you own the GT then seriously get a drive of the Sti at a dealer. You will upgrade the ECU & exhaust instantly.

So of course I know this message is jack shit without pics, so here they are.
Did I mention that I hate black, but too slow for a silver manual wagon!
What a bitch to keep clean and photo when the sun is out.

Tinting on Thursday.
Already had the alarm put in.

Probably not the place to mention this but the Subaru immobiliser is worth SHIT. My wife’s car got broken into in a Sydney car pack when they simply unlocked every Subaru in the joint with some sort of an unlocking decoder? Every model simply opened up!
Get a secondary alarm people.

Simon.
MY07 GT Spec B Sti Wagon 6MT [#084/300]
Dibbo

Postby Rosso » Tue May 22, 2007 7:01 pm

Hey & welcome dibbo,

Great choice on the GT tb Sti :D Im lovin mine :wink:

Hope you enjoy the forums mate, enjoy.
Cheers,

Rosso.

#135/300 MY07 GT Spec B Tuned by Sti Sedan
Obsidian Black Pearl w/Charcoal Rims, 6MT.
Rosso

Postby Louey » Tue May 22, 2007 7:18 pm

Hey Dibbo,

Great looking ride. Bring on the black wagons.... 8)

Enjoy the forum and see you on the streets...

Louey
Louey

Postby XRC15T » Tue May 22, 2007 7:35 pm

Wow Sti's popping up Everywhere!!!

Welcome to the crew!
XRC15T

Postby Mano™ » Tue May 22, 2007 8:15 pm

Heya dude and welcome :)

Be sure to come to our NSW Meet up? look it up under the gatherings :)

Yeah tell me about it.. STI's everywhere :( fuk ya's! :lol:
Mano™
-stickered-

Car: MY06 Liberty GT

Postby EJ25 » Tue May 22, 2007 9:47 pm

mayb, ill lurk aorund the back to steal some parts..
EJ25

Alarm

Postby Garry » Tue May 22, 2007 10:21 pm

Hi Dibbo,

Nice ride. I have been thinking about an alrm as well. What did you get?

Garry
Garry

Car: MY07 GT-Spec B Sedan

Re: Alarm type

Postby Dibbo » Wed May 23, 2007 8:10 am

Garry,

Got a Mongoose 5 star type.

Subaru have 2 point immobilisation standard so the alarm is for door, bonnet & boot opening, plus key immobilisation. There’s also shock protection.

The guy who installed it took all day as he had not done a MY07 before and didn’t want to stuff up – did a sweet job installing the box in the engine bay so you cant get to it from above or below.

It’s set to auto arming after 30 seconds, which is good and bad.
Auto arming after 30 seconds arms the immobilisation but not the doors, so you can open it no problems [great as I have young kids], but then you go to start and it chirps away to remind you.
So you have to press the disarm button.

DO NOT use the upgrade kit as it links it to your key which defeats the whole purpose.

At least this way if they unlock my car they will get a massive noise when they open the door – and can’t start it.

I thought the thief unlocking thing was a myth, but when my wife’s car got done – along with 26 other Subaru’s in the whole car park – I knew it wasn’t.

Never park in under the Accor hotels in Darling harbour.

Thanks everyone for the welcome – will check out the other parts of the forum and look to hook up for a drive soon.

Simon.
Dibbo

Postby hks180 » Wed May 23, 2007 8:28 am

welcome Simon !!!

Enjoy ur stay !!

btw great looking car u got there !!! good to see some wagon !!! specially black !!! 8)

Leo
hks180

Re: Alarm type

Postby XRC15T » Wed May 23, 2007 8:57 am

Dibbo wrote:
I thought the thief unlocking thing was a myth, but when my wife’s car got done – along with 26 other Subaru’s in the whole car park – I knew it wasn’t.

Never park in under the Accor hotels in Darling harbour.

Simon.

Dibbo,
What happened there? care to elaborate a bit more? sounds scarey
XRC15T

Re: Break in

Postby Dibbo » Wed May 23, 2007 10:24 am

Yeah was a massive dent to the Subaru security myth to us. We knew no Subaru comes with an ‘alarm’ as such but they have data dots and a 2 point immobiliser so they are more secure than most standard cars. Plus who’s going to steal my wife’s MY03 Impreza RV?

I parked her car between a BMW M3 & HSV Monaro in the car park under the Accor hotels – north end of Darling Harbour near Start City.

Came back in the morning and unlocked the car, started to get in and she noticed all the glove box contents were over the passenger seat.
Instantly we started looking at door lock’s etc, window’s – how did they get in?
Then we noticed the note on the windscreen from the security guard advising the card had been broken into and to contact them.

The security guard had locked and closed the car.

Finally the guard came and we filled in the report – only to learn that 26 Subaru’s were done over that night – all models Outback, Liberty, Forester & Impreza.
The guard started to laugh that the card park is not safe for Subaru’s and everyone knows it – wasn’t laughing after I thanked the c*&t for the warning sign and his f*%king brilliant security effort last nigh.

He was happy to explain how they do it – and I was eager to learn as initially I thought he must be in on it not to catch them – 26 cars??
He said he’s seen the video camera footage [there’s only 1 camera at the entrance]. They use some form of a decoder that sends out multiple signals and bingo every Subaru in a short distance unlocks.
He said it’s only about 25 metres so unless you are right near them and see all the cars unlock you don’t know they are there.

Hence if you have an alarm set up to your key [as most people do when they have Subaru alarm or aftermarket fitted] it effectively deactivates the door and the alarm at the same time.

I phoned the insurance but didn’t claim as only 2 CD’s were taken – they weren’t interested as the card was not damaged or stolen.
Subaru denied it and put their heads in the sand. Useless.
I tried speaking to a few people and they all said, ‘oh haven’t heard of that before’ – bullshit.

I even sent an e-mail to the editor of Sydney Morning Herald Drive section but no response. Thought it may happen to other brands too.

So the day after I got my new car I had the secondary alarm installed.
They can still unlock the door but won’t expect the pounding siren and they can’t start it.

It’s isn’t a myth people.
Dibbo

Postby senator » Wed May 23, 2007 8:51 pm

hi Dibbo
i remember hearing a few stories like that, funny thing is i am in the process of possibly puchasing a gt spec b and had the same argument with salesperson who at first sad thats it wasn't true and just a myth but after involving another salesperson into the arguement that the subaru alarm was crap they both decided to be honest and claimed they themselves would not use the standard soobi up grade alarm......but it did take a bit of to get it out of them.

Sorry for long post, but i am guess this alarm is not built into the standard key fob, surely it would use a secondary aarm specific fob?? Also if you don't mind me asking how much for the alarm and install and did your insurance offer you any discounts??

enjoy
senator

Postby Akwoo » Wed May 23, 2007 10:46 pm

the same thing has happened to me, my laptop and ipod was stolen but they decided to leave my $3000 golf clubs.
Akwoo

Postby gt_dicko » Thu May 24, 2007 12:44 am

Hi Dibbo,
Welcome to the forum mate. Very nice looking car.

Sounds as though Subaru are not using a "code hopping" remote. That's a bit of a concern...

I always make sure that I don't leave anything valuable in the car, but I'll be extra careful now.
MY04 GT 5AT - SOLD
gt_dicko

alarm costs

Postby Dibbo » Thu May 24, 2007 10:35 am

The alarm itself was only $257 - $500 all up including install.
Considering the guy took all day and did a pretty schmick job I'm happy.

I got about a $200 discount on insurance but it's more for my peace of mind.

Yes separate key for alarm which is annoying, but I'm already used to it after a week so i'll live.

It's auto arming after 30 seconds so while the door alarm doesn't go off [unless you actually arm it before the 30 seconds] it is immobilised.
Great so locally I can lock the doors and just walk off.

Yeah 3 of the sales people at my local simply thought I was full of crap - till my wife came with me on a test drive and ripped shit off all of them.
Was quite funny as she's pretty quiet normally.

Would be great is Subaru simply acknowledged the problem and upgraded the alarm system.
Dibbo

Next

Return to Introductions