2008 GT specB with the most KM

Introduce yourself

Re: 2008 GT specB with the most KM

Postby Yowie » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:36 pm

Yeah. I would just get oil monitoring in first, then consider what else you need (if anything).

Given that your oil is highly unlikely to overheat on the road, oil pressure monitoring is probably the priority of the two. The good news is that tapping into the oil gallery under/near the alternator is pretty easy.

Having said that, I like monitoring oil temp too - particularly as a good guide to when I can give the engine moderate or full right foot. Oil temp comes up a lot slower than water temp. If getting at the rear gallery plug near the turbo is too much of a PITA job with the engine in the car, you could potentially look at a plumbing T-piece off the front gallery so you can fit pressure and temp sensors. The temp sensor might read a bit cooler that way, but super-accuracy is probably less important than overall trend.

---

Also - I think some Liberties have a water-to-oil cooler directly above the oil filter (copper coloured assembly with coolant in/out). If yours has this there is already some coolant-based oil heating & cooling going on. I believe a different water pump assembly is also required for that one.

For reference (noting oil temp trends above), my forester does not have that water-to-oil cooler.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby ginge_mcninge » Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:15 pm

Yowie wrote:...Given that your oil is highly unlikely to overheat on the road, oil pressure monitoring is probably the priority of the two. The good news is that tapping into the oil gallery under/near the alternator is pretty easy...

Just bought a new to me sleeved shortblock and i'm starting to stockpile engine parts for my build, ill figure this out on the old motor before I go and do it on my nice new one.

Yowie wrote:Having said that, I like monitoring oil temp too - particularly as a good guide to when I can give the engine moderate or full right foot. Oil temp comes up a lot slower than water temp. If getting at the rear gallery plug near the turbo is too much of a PITA job with the engine in the car, you could potentially look at a plumbing T-piece off the front gallery so you can fit pressure and temp sensors. The temp sensor might read a bit cooler that way, but super-accuracy is probably less important than overall trend.

The wastegate on my stock turbo is basically gone at the moment so its coming out this weekend, guess this can be done as a "While I'm in there" special
ginge_mcninge

Car: '08 GT spec B

Postby Yowie » Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:49 pm

If you have a new engine build in the works it will be a piece of p!ss to put the oil temp fitting on the rear gallery spot and the oil pressure fitting on the front gallery spot (ideally on an extension hose because oil pressure sensors live longer without vibration).
Yowie

Postby ginge_mcninge » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:35 pm

Yowie wrote:If you have a new engine build in the works it will be a piece of p!ss to put the oil temp fitting on the rear gallery spot and the oil pressure fitting on the front gallery spot (ideally on an extension hose because oil pressure sensors live longer without vibration).

yeah, just want to figure it all out on the old one before I intentionally try and kill it.

Are they meant to be about 1-2cm off the block? didn't know that you can kill the sensors if theyre mounted to the block
ginge_mcninge

Car: '08 GT spec B

Postby Yowie » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:15 pm

Temp sensors are fine plugged straight in.

The accepted wisdom is that oil pressure sensors* last longer if remoted mounted. See the long braided hose I used in that DYI Oil Pressure Guide I linked in the first page. Do your own homework on it if you want. I just ran with what I had read on the topic.

(*as opposed to the pressure-based on/off switch under the alternator which is pretty robust)
Yowie

Previous

Return to Introductions