It took me 20 years

Introduce yourself

It took me 20 years

Postby 1st Time Subi » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:35 pm

Hello to all,

As my title says, it took me 20 years to finally be able to buy myself a decent car, a Subaru 6cyl Liberty Premium 2011. Prior to this, I owned a Ford Futura AU 2001. It was a nice car and served me well, doing almost 380,000 km until it finally gave up and said “I’m done” so as you can imagine, this is a BIG step up.
I picked up my Liberty early July 2021 from a private car dealership and absolutely LOVE IT. I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would own a car this good. I’m slowly working out what all the buttons do and what does what (hey, I only tonight worked out how to stream my Bluetooth music through the stereo) Pairing my phone to make calls was the easy part but to play MY music?
My Macintosh stereo & GPS, now that’s a completely different story. I don’t think the maps have a “Follow Me” setting. I don’t know if it is meant to have a Satellite registered in the settings, the Latitude and Longitude are correct but I can’t make the map travel in the right direction.
In the information, it tells me 8400 V1 2009, So I’m guessing the maps have never been updated. I live in the centre of Melton, Victoria but the map puts me in the middle of a paddock. Driving down the M8 (Western Hwy) it has me driving through swamp land and heading toward Ballarat instead of toward Melbourne. I have purchased the V25 disc for the maps but I’m still waiting for the disk to arrive.

Can anyone tell me how I can reset my GPS to where I am or make the maps travel in the right direction, even set the “Follow me” function (if it has one)
I have re-calibrated the maps several times, even set the map to my address before I turned the car off with no avail. :? When I start my car the next morning, it starts right but travels in the opposite direction.I’m guessing because there is no Satellite linked to the GPS?
Sorry for the long winded post from a first timer here, but I just want me GPS to work properly :-x :(

Thank you for reading my post and helping me anyway you can offer.

Cheers,
Jenny
1st Time Subi

Car: ‘11 Liberty 3.6lt

Re: It took me 20 years

Postby Tonic » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:42 pm

Hi Jenny. Welcome
Maps are CD based so you should be right. Not reading the satellites is an issue beyond my knowledge to help.

A few I here will have an idea so hang in there. Cars are getting old so numbers are falling but the liberty, for the price, is well ahead of its time and still enjoyable today
Tonic

Car: 06 Liberty 3.0RB now 09 facelift

Postby Stifull » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:53 pm

Congrats on the purchase. That would be a very nice car with a LOT more safety features than your older one. Treated well Subarus last a Looong time.. I went to move my daughters 07 Impreza a few days ago and saw the speedo and thought it was worth a photo. It's still has original untouched engine but transmission has been replaced. It was a driving school car for most of it's life.

So there is a lot of life left in yours yet.. Can't help you with your gadget sorry. Mine has an aftermarket Alpine head unit with all the bells and whistles and updates via laptop and usb port.
Current Subarus
07 Liberty GT (mine) 180kwt on 16lb
98 WRX Club Spes 2 with 2.5ltr upgrade(mine) sub 14 sec
99 Ver 6 Sti also with 2.5ltr upgrade (son) sub 14 sec
02 WRX Bugeye Hatch lots of goodies(wife)
09 Non Turbo Impreza(daughter#4)
Previous
98 GC8 WRX Hatch(daughter#1)
02 Bugeye WRX (daughter#2)
Stifull

Car: '07 Liberty GT '98 WRX CS2 2.5ltr

Postby 1st Time Subi » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:40 pm

Thank you @Tonic and @Stifull for the welcome, much appreciated.
As is mentioned in me first post, I never thought I would own a car like a Subaru Liberty. The game plan is have this for 5 years, then upgrade again.
I’m still waiting for my maps disk to arrive. That NAVSHOP where you can buy the discs from, isn’t very helpful when it comes to the “WhereIs” question :roll:
I’ve contemplated doing the whole disconnect the battery thing, to see if that re-sets the GPS, but it would re-set everything else too. I don’t fancy doing that, especially when I don’t know how these cars work. Advise on that would help me greatly.
I have been able to find online the manual (it dint come with the car) so I’ll try and comb through the 290 pages for some info otherwise I have a feeling i’ll end up taking it to a Subaru dealership.
1st Time Subi

Postby Tonic » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:37 am

If you search the forum for maps Robo does good value updates.
Disconnecting the battery is no big deal. Pretty well clock and radio need resetting but you need to learn that anyway!
Tonic

Car: 06 Liberty 3.0RB now 09 facelift

Postby 1st Time Subi » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:51 am

[/quote]Can't help you with your gadget sorry. Mine has an aftermarket Alpine head unit with all the bells and whistles and updates via laptop and usb port.[/quote]

What Alpine unit did you purchase Stifull? My other half is a Alpine fan, he likes them matched with Kicker speaker. So I might be able to convince him that that is the way to go.
The clock in the dash isn’t a issue, but I can’t reset the clock I the GPS. Maybe I just need to play around with it a lot more. :?:
1st Time Subi

Postby Stifull » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:55 am

This is the head unit.. https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALe ... 66&bih=625 .
The problem you may find is the Mcintosh (Kenwood) unit in a lot of models is integrated with the aircon controls so replacing the head unit also means a new $600 aircon control console. Also you will need a "tray/pocket" to fill the hole below the single din head unit.
The beauty of this particular head unit is the fact that it plays music from many different sources, CD, USB, aux, am , fm, and bluetooth from your phone. The inbuilt car kit is fantastic and can identify 3 different phones, eg, yours , your partners , business phone. The clarity of the phone call is perfect and the people you are talking to can't tell they are on a kit phone.
The lights on the unit have the same "red" glow as the cars other instruments and a "blue" select key that matches the blue around the cup holders. It can also be updated with the latest tweek from Alpine via the usb port .
The guy who owned this car from new spent a LOT of money on the system and it sounds awesome. It also has 2 splitter boxes , one on either side under the dash. These boxes split the sound into the various hertz or what ever it is called and sends them to the appropriate speakers. It also has a large sub in the boot that faces through the boot access between the back seats so if your really into base you can blow your ear drums till your heart is content..

Sorry I can't help you with the GPS. My model was the last before GPS became stock. The guy I bought it off also included a dash mounted Garmin GPS with a lifetime of free map upgrades via mini usb plug to laptop and the garmin site.
Current Subarus
Previous
Stifull

Postby 1st Time Subi » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:23 pm

I think I’ve finally got it working right! Well, better than what it was anyway.
After reading the GPS manual some more, I finally worked up the nerve to poke and prod a bit. I found the second disk drive (behind the Macintosh face plate) and it had an old Whereis disc in it. I took that out and put the Australia & NZ V23 in, and it loaded up :) . I was finally able to change a few settings and set my home address, as well as other POI’s. It was set to NSW, so I was able to change it to VIC (explains a bit) so the maps are 99% right now and its “follow me” works now ( small things I know) :lol:
The next test will be taking it into work, will it show the traffic now? :blush:
Next thing to do is pair my Bluetooth music player (2nd mobile phone) to play my music and my primary phone so I can make calls. For some reason, MY primary phone is one or the other, it won’t play music and allow me to make calls at the same time.

Some more reading is needed I think :wink:
1st Time Subi

Postby 1st Time Subi » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:58 pm

I took my car out to work today, and it followed me for a bit, then got lost! It had me in a completely different town to where I was. I can’t wait for these lockdowns in Victoria to be over so I can take me car back to the dealership and get this and a few other issues (the auto not changing down and jolting when I go to take off again) sorted out.

Thank you everyone for staying tuned and your help thus far.
Cheers, Jenny
1st Time Subi

Postby Stifull » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:46 pm

We love our Subarus and have several but we also have a Delica 4wd van. It's our 6th 0r 7th in the last 30+ years. One of them had a compass , big deal back in the day, to reset the compass you needed to hold a button down and drive in a clockwise full lock circle twice then an anticlockwise full lock circle twice and the compass would get it's bearings and reset. Luckily we have been living on acreage properties with room to do stuff like that. The dealer should be able to fix your issue a lot easier than that. It's a shame you can't just blue tooth the new maps from your phone.
Current Subarus
Previous
Stifull

Postby Yowie » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:40 pm

One of them had a compass , big deal back in the day, to reset the compass you needed to hold a button down and drive in a clockwise full lock circle twice then an anticlockwise full lock circle twice and the compass would get it's bearings and reset.

I think you can also re-set them with a left-handed screwdriver and a can of tartan paint.

(wow, are you sure those "drive in a circle" re-set compass instructions are not a wind-up?)
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby Stifull » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:07 am

Lol.. yes, I agree, it sounds a bit like a porky pie but if you disconnect the battery to get to fuel filter or replace battery, you had to do the circle thing. The Delica site is down ATM but the high end Exceed Pajeros had the same compass fitted. See here for the same method to calibrate the compass in a pajero.. https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/forum/ve ... post630853
Current Subarus
Previous
Stifull

Postby 1st Time Subi » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:11 am

Yowie wrote: I think you can also re-set them with a left-handed screwdriver and a can of tartan paint.

(wow, are you sure those "drive in a circle" re-set compass instructions are not a wind-up?)

Do you remember the ad that was on tv many years ago, where the tradie sent his apprentice down to Mitre 10 (I think) to get a left handed screw driver and a can of checkered paint and the apprentice went be with exactly that. Your comment Yowie, made me smile. :D

At this stage, I’m just turning the maps screen off. I’m still waiting for my V25 disc to arrive from NAVSHOP, hopefully that will help the issue. If it doesn’t, I’ll be looking at upgrading the infomedia system in my car. Any recommendations?
1st Time Subi

Postby Yowie » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:45 am

Cheers 1TS

Speaking of tradie pranks, years ago (doing odd cash jobs during high school) I heard a story from an old tradie of an apprentice being sent to get some "blue & white paint".

The paint shop referred the young bloke to the local art supply store that did in fact have a tube of paint with both blue & white paint in it. The tube was purchased at great expense & returned to the job site where said prankster got chewed-out because he had instructed the errand and now money was wasted.

I cannot verify.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby subyroo » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:58 am

1st Time Subi wrote:I think I’ve finally got it working right! Well, better than what it was anyway.
After reading the GPS manual some more, I finally worked up the nerve to poke and prod a bit. I found the second disk drive (behind the Macintosh face plate) and it had an old Whereis disc in it. I took that out and put the Australia & NZ V23 in, and it loaded up :) . I was finally able to change a few settings and set my home address, as well as other POI’s. It was set to NSW, so I was able to change it to VIC (explains a bit) so the maps are 99% right now and its “follow me” works now ( small things I know) :lol:
The next test will be taking it into work, will it show the traffic now? :blush:
Next thing to do is pair my Bluetooth music player (2nd mobile phone) to play my music and my primary phone so I can make calls. For some reason, MY primary phone is one or the other, it won’t play music and allow me to make calls at the same time.

Some more reading is needed I think :wink:

Don't set your home address in the GPS, if your car is stolen the thieves can go straight to your home and clean it out.
Make the your home address to another street close by, once you get into your suburb area you can find your own way home anyway. :-D
Pedro

2021 Honda HR-V VTi-S
MY03 XS Forester (owned for 13yrs.)
Man blames fate for other accidents but feels personally responsible for a hole in one.
subyroo

Car: 2021 Honda HRV VTi-S

Next

Return to Introductions