New to forum and Liberties.

Introduce yourself

New to forum and Liberties.

Postby Eagle Eye » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:12 pm

G'day,

I've owned a 94 Impreza Sportswagon for some time, its sure footedness and supreme
reliability is impressive... however, time, shopping centre carparks and over a quarter of a million kilometres
has taken a heavy toll on its understated beauty, and frankly it can be embarrassing turning up in a vehicle that says "poverty" as loudly as it does.

So sticking to a marque I've grown to admire and respect, I've acquired a gen 4 Liberty in a nice shade of "Mother in laws heart"...
otherwise known as black.

If you havnt already guessed I'm motoring on a strict budget... being a man whos income is a disability pension :-/

Anyway, I was lusting after a manual gen 3 Liberty when I stumbled across a black gen 4 at a bargain basement price
I couldn't resist and purchased 2 days ago. It needs work, but I don't mind getting my hands dirty.

According to Subaru Docklands it needs:

Front struts... Do Gen 4 Liberty GT struts fit standard Gen 4 liberties? I'm thinking 4 of them might tighten up the handling.

Front drive shaft. (it seems to me the inner boot has very recently broken and is in the process of ejaculating
the inner CVs lubricant. (probably only requiring a new boot and lubricant top up.)

"Crossover" pipe O-ring leaking coolant they say. I cant see any coolant leaks though, and the tank is full.
Having said that, I cant say I have actually located the "crossover" pipe yet.

What Subaru docklands didn't pick is the tears and ripples in the window tinting, and I've heard
that can be a RWC issue.

Any advice or suggestions on addressing these issues vis a vis suppliers etc, and a good man/woman
here in Melbourne to rectify the window tint would be warmly accepted.

Cheers and thanks for having me on your forum.
Eagle Eye

Car: Eagle eye Liberty

Re: New to forum and Liberties.

Postby IllusiveGiraffe » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:42 am

Hey mate,

Can't really provide any definite assistance to any of your questions as I'm just as new to the gen4 platform as you are. Having said that I would assume the struts suit all models regardless of the engine, as the fitment is only dependent on the chassis and other key suspension components, which I believe to be constant across all gen4s.

Many can relate to the financial situation being how young a lot of members are, hell I'm still being paid $15 an hour. It's tough, but we all get through in the end.

Nevertheless, congratulations on your purchase & hope you can get it back to perfect condition. Keep us updated!
Prev: '03 Liberty RX Special Edition
Current: '06 Liberty Spec. B H6
IllusiveGiraffe

Car: 2003 RX Manual

Postby spike2135 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:05 am

Welcome to the forum :)
spike2135

Car: BR9
Profile URL: https://ibb.co/Ky2X4V3

Postby Eagle Eye » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:44 am

spike2135 wrote:Welcome to the forum :)

Thanks Spike.
Eagle Eye

Postby Eagle Eye » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:30 am

IllusiveGiraffe wrote:Hey mate,

Can't really provide any definite assistance to any of your questions as I'm just as new to the gen4 platform as you are. Having said that I would assume the struts suit all models regardless of the engine, as the fitment is only dependent on the chassis and other key suspension components, which I believe to be constant across all gen4s.

Many can relate to the financial situation being how young a lot of members are, hell I'm still being paid $15 an hour. It's tough, but we all get through in the end.

Nevertheless, congratulations on your purchase & hope you can get it back to perfect condition. Keep us updated!

Hi and thanks, that your car featured in your avatar? it looks great. The wheels look sensational, however I'm wondering
if the very low profile tyres are a step backward regards road holding... I remember an episode of Top Gear
where the "Stig" did back to back laps in an SS Commode fitted with low profile and standard rubber.
The laps on the higher profile tyres were quicker. And of course provided a smoother ride and better damage protection for the wheels
negotiating pot holes, ruts, gutter climbing etc.

A crusty old goomer like me tends to put function before form. Having said that,
the styling is a credit to you.. if it's your concept of course young Josh.

Anyway thanks for responding, it's good hearing from someone with a cool sense of style/design.
Eagle Eye

Postby IllusiveGiraffe » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:49 am

Yes Eagle, that's my old car. Bought it back in 2017 and sold it around 4 weeks ago as I wanted to have an upgrade and it really wasn't in the best condition.

The wheels I put on it were pretty controversial because yes they looked good, but they were realistically way too wide for the size of that car. (They were 18x8.75 and the car originally came with 16x6). I was running a 235/40/18 tyre, which is a common choice for 8.5" wheels. Either way these weren't as practical as my 17" wheels due to the size, I had some better rubber on those too.

Here's a couple pics so you can see the difference. Thanks for the compliments :)

Prev: '03 Liberty RX Special Edition
Current: '06 Liberty Spec. B H6
IllusiveGiraffe

Car: 2003 RX Manual

Postby Eagle Eye » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:50 pm

"Controversial" is one way to put it :wink:
Eagle Eye

Return to Introductions