New TBSTI Owner.

Introduce yourself

New TBSTI Owner.

Postby TBSTI-Wagon » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Recently, the Mrs decided that we needed to "get away" more, for weekends and the occasional longer trips away, when work allows.

Ultimately, we want to retire and hit the road in a motorhome (converted bus), but at this stage that isn't practical, so a decent touring rig, with a modicum of performance thrown in for good measure, was on the agenda...But what to get?

It had to:
1) Be practical (so a wagon was high on the list)
2) Have decent performance out of the box
3) Be reliable
4) The idea of AWD appealed (having never owned an AWD car...some 30 years after having my first car.
5) Strong preference for a manual (which ultimately didn't happen).
6) Had to be relatively cheap, both to acquire, and to run. That ruled out some of the AWD vehicles like the Audis and so on.

So, we (me) looked around at what was available. The Subarus ticked a lot of the boxes. But the new ones left me cold, both on the styling side, and the performance inclusions side.

So I started looking at what - IMHO - was the "Sweet spot" in the lineage...the 4Gen GT Spec.Bs (and the TBSTI versions).

There are a few spec.b cars on Carsales etc. so the process of distilling the best value/best condition car started. I had my eye on a pearl white spec.b in the manual (I was only interested in the face lift, 6-speed versions if I could get one). Only two issues gave me pause for thought, and they were trying to ascertain the condition of a manual car, knowing that hard launches could have knock-on effects throughout the drive train. The second was overall kms on the clock. The car I was looking at had 155K on it, and the bloke wanted way too much (even accounting for the premium you pay for good examples of these). Then I found a TBSTI Wagon, in the same colour, with 20000-odd less kms, but in auto, and cheaper.

I happened to be in the area the TBSTI car was for work, so took the opportunity to catch up with the bloke, have a drive etc. Ended up striking a deal for another $1500 off, and the wife and I flew to Melbourne the following week to collect and drive home. Not happy about the auto, but what can you do...?

I have to say that, IMHO, the 2008 model TBSTI wagon was something of a high point in the Subaru lineage. They have lines that will age a hell of a lot better than other cars around. Plus, they came with a pretty reasonable suspension, brake and wheel package. Unlike some of the other desirable wagons around (AMG Mercs. AUDI R/S3/4 etc.) they will also last (if cared for), and the $ were OK.

The biggest conundrum with one of these is whether to enhance it, or leave it un-molested (meaning it will most likely sell better if we ever do sell it).

Bearing in mind that we're a little older than a few on here, so getting massive power/torque out of the thing isn't a huge priority for us. If we can safely enhance it a little, and be able to completely reverse anything we do, then we'll be more than happy. Good news is that they come with all the good suspension and brakes out of the box...

I think in the short term, I'll get it assessed (by the people at Pulse Racing), and discuss what can be done in the "totally reversible" stakes...then we'll see about enhancing the thing...
TBSTI-Wagon

Car: 2008 Liberty Wagon GT Spec B TBSTI

Re: New TBSTI Owner.

Postby vinshonz » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:22 pm

good buy!

get it tuned before it pops
2008 Liberty GT Tuned by STi 27 of 250 made
PnP VF52, AVO TBE into TCP-Ti Mufflers, AVO panel filter, Mishimoto TMIC, Turbosmart Kompact BOV, Kobe Silicone Intake + SFB, Kobe 340LPH pump,
Tuspeed 3Port, Exedy HD + lightened flywheel, some Whiteline bits & Corgiwerx bits, Zeitronix Flex Fuel Analyser Kit , e85/98 Flex fuel -Got it REX tuned

2007 WRX Tuned by STi 35 of 200 made
STi Spec C TMIC+ProcessWest splitter, AVO TBE, X3E Silicone Intake, APS CAI, TurboSmart Kompact, Walbro, GrimmSpeed 3 Port, DEFI gauges
TD05-18G 198.5kw on RTRs Dyno - SOLD
vinshonz

Car: 2008 Liberty GT TunedBySTi

Postby mogtribe » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:11 am

Welcome!

Sounds like this was a very carefully thought out decision. My criteria when purchasing my wagon was pretty much the same as yours, and I completely agree about the GEN4 being the "sweet spot" in terms of styling.

I was kind of facing the same conundrum as you trying to decide whether or not to modify mine. As it stands all I've had is a KiDo tune to an otherwise stock car. Even if it's the only mod you end up doing then I can highly recommend it - pretty much everyone who's had it done has reported increased performance, better driveability and improved fuel consumption.

Any photos of the car?
mogtribe

Car: MY06 3.0R Spec B Manual Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34505

Postby TBSTI-Wagon » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:03 am

mogtribe wrote:Welcome!

Sounds like this was a very carefully thought out decision. My criteria when purchasing my wagon was pretty much the same as yours, and I completely agree about the GEN4 being the "sweet spot" in terms of styling.

I was kind of facing the same conundrum as you trying to decide whether or not to modify mine. As it stands all I've had is a KiDo tune to an otherwise stock car. Even if it's the only mod you end up doing then I can highly recommend it - pretty much everyone who's had it done has reported increased performance, better driveability and improved fuel consumption.

Any photos of the car?

Oddly enough, the one thing we haven't done as yet is take photos of the car. Been busy chasing up roadworthies and so on. Might grab some this weekend and post 'em up.
TBSTI-Wagon

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:17 am

Did you buy franks white auto tbsti sedan?
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby TBSTI-Wagon » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:32 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Did you buy franks white auto tbsti sedan?

No. The car's a wagon...
TBSTI-Wagon

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:34 pm

Ha what can I say but the sun must have been too bright :)

Check the history for an engine replacement etc, my08s are notorious for mystery engine maladies, so hopefully its been done or just doesnt need doing :)

Best bet is mc matts throttlehappy tune, indeed my gentlemen's detune ;)
15psi max, throttle angles equalised, 7,12, 15psi per mode, throttle is boost controller, and for you, matts tcu tune to get the best from the auto :)

If the billies are harsh on sharp bumps and wallowy everywhere else, get proper digressive shocks eg shockworks or mca, awesome on rough roads due to the maximised compliance and recovery. ;)

Down the road, fuel pump, 3" turbo back zorst, keep the muffs stock, 3port ebcs, retune then great rotors pads, light but strong rims and awesome tyres. Btssm natch.
More or less my approach :shock:

(De) Tuned for around 6 years thanks to Matt & also torqued performance...
Matts latest update brings a fuel economy gain & added smoothness :)

Diagnostically, you'll want to log all the important ssm or can parameters inc avcs vvt angle.
And get a learning view.

Deets in my sig :)
bigBADbenny

Postby TBSTI-Wagon » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:41 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Ha what can I say but the sun must have been too bright :)

Check the history for an engine replacement etc, my08s are notorious for mystery engine maladies, so hopefully its been done or just doesnt need doing :)

Best bet is mc matts throttlehappy tune, indeed my gentlemen's detune ;)
15psi max, throttle angles equalised, 7,12, 15psi per mode, throttle is boost controller, and for you, matts tcu tune to get the best from the auto :)

If the billies are harsh on sharp bumps and wallowy everywhere else, get proper digressive shocks eg shockworks or mca, awesome on rough roads due to the maximised compliance and recovery. ;)

Down the road, fuel pump, 3" turbo back zorst, keep the muffs stock, 3port ebcs, retune then great rotors pads, light but strong rims and awesome tyres. Btssm natch.
More or less my approach :shock:

(De) Tuned for around 6 years thanks to Matt & also torqued performance...
Matts latest update brings a fuel economy gain & added smoothness :)

Diagnostically, you'll want to log all the important ssm or can parameters inc avcs vvt angle.
And get a learning view.

Deets in my sig :)

Thanks for that.

I'll def. be talking to (someone) who knows these things, to se (A) just what kind of nick it's in mechanically*, and (B) what can reasonably be done to enhance it a little bit.

Couple of comments/questions, though...

Do people really find the stock brake set up on the later TBSTIs to be inadequate/need upgrading? As for the rims, if I could get hold of a set, AND they were able to bolt straight up (Don't see why they wouldn't), I'd grab a set of the Legacy S402(?) BBS rims...But I suspect that they're "unobtanium". (In saying that, I never thought I'd pick up an OEM 8-spoke rim from a VFR750FL for any kind of reasonable $, but managed to do that just last w/end, so you never say never, right?)

If/when we enhance the car, one other thing I'd be interested in is one of those "car PC" things, mounted in that cubby hole (where the factory GPS should have been installed stock, but I digress ;) ) The idea being that I'd run a set of virtual gauges on the thing, monitoring oil temp/pressure, boost and so on (AFRs?) Any write-ups from anyone having done this...?

* I believe the engine is stock (not replaced), and so may be one of the lucky ones which escaped the big-end bearing failures...the general consensus I've gathered is that if they don't fail by somewhere around the 70K mark, they're probably not going to. That said, I'll be looking to those guys to help me assess the condition of the bottom end as pat of the overall "health assessment" of the car.
TBSTI-Wagon

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:00 am

The stock brembos, pads discs are great but when replacement of the consumable is due it's an obvious opportunity to fine tune the setup for your useage, eg low dust street pads or dusty softer track pads, etc.

As for wheels, 5x100 18x8.5 +45 is considered master flush for Libs with a minimal guard roll where required due to coilovers or the supplied tbsti pinks, the latter being, ime, somewhat less lower than prefl.
The most recent set of s402 rims went for around USD$3k via the rare parts facebook group.

8.5 wide rims fit 18 8.5 235 tyres, meaning the awesome ad08r, s001, re003, ps4 etc tyres you upgrade to, will be more available and affordable than the stock sizes in the same tyre.

As for logging lv and live gauges, the android btssm app and btssm bt obdii adapter plug or more affordable vagcom via otg adapter, is imho best value and most convenient. Display the gauge screen on an android phone or tablet, mounted on or in the dash (eg nexus install). I'm using an android TV box displayed on the stock Nav screen.
bigBADbenny

Postby TBSTI-Wagon » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:12 am

The stock brembos, pads discs are great but when replacement of the consumable is due it's an obvious opportunity to fine tune the setup for your useage, eg low dust street pads or dusty softer track pads, etc.

As for wheels, 5x100 18x8.5 +45 is considered master flush for Libs with a minimal guard roll where required due to coilovers or the supplied tbsti pinks, the latter being, ime, somewhat less lower than prefl.
The most recent set of s402 rims went for around USD$3k via the rare parts facebook group.

8.5 wide rims fit 18 8.5 235 tyres, meaning the awesome ad08r, s001, re003, ps4 etc tyres you upgrade to, will be more available and affordable than the stock sizes in the same tyre.

As for logging lv and live gauges, the android btssm app and btssm bt obdii adapter plug or more affordable vagcom via otg adapter, is imho best value and most convenient. Display the gauge screen on an android phone or tablet, mounted on or in the dash (eg nexus install). I'm using an android TV box displayed on the stock Nav screen.

Some good info. there. Thanks.

Unfortunately, we had to have new front pads installed to get the car passed for rego...I think they were likely pretty generic ones. They'll have to do for the time being.

I'll have to think about wheel options if I want to go a little wider/more available tyre sizings...

I definitely need to do some more research into some of the logging/monitoring stuff you mention above.

Anyway, some photos of the car are below...

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... nzffmk.jpg

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... td5ljx.jpg

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... dh0dqe.jpg

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... nraptn.jpg

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... qp9rad.jpg
TBSTI-Wagon

Return to Introductions