Soon to be Liberty owner from MEL

Introduce yourself

Soon to be Liberty owner from MEL

Postby SteadyEddie » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:40 am

Hey peeps,

Short time lurker - first time poster based in Melbourne.

I've been a fan of Japanese cars for years, had a few honda's and nissans and recently, through a Subaru Mechanic acquantance, became more intrigued by subis. Currently in the garage is an Aprilia RSV4 - owned for 3 years and an on loan Post FL Forester 1st Gen that I'm really enjoying.

In the market for a MY07 onwards 3.0 R-B 6sp Liberty Wagon - thats why I joined the forums. Amount of knowledge in this community is massive and I'm hoping Ill make a more informed decision after a bit of participation. There seems to be a fair amount in the market at the moment - the test drives will commence soon!

Reason for settling on the wagon is I need the practicality of it for a business Im looking to start in 2 years, while exploring in the mountains around VIC in the meantime (when I dont feel like dealing with a temperamental Italian motorbike that is :) )

If you have any words of advice, happy to hear them.

Cheers!
A.
SteadyEddie

Car: MY07 3.0 RB Sedan 6MT

Re: Soon to be Liberty owner from MEL

Postby mogtribe » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:53 pm

Hey mate,

I was in the same position as you a few months ago. Now a happy owner of an MY06 3.0R Spec B 6sp wagon.

If you're out and about test driving them, don't be too put off a car that has a sloppy feeling shifter. Worn shifter bushes are a common problem.

There's a few good threads floating around about buying advice
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34147

Happy hunting, they're a great car!
mogtribe

Car: MY06 3.0R Spec B Manual Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34505

Postby SteadyEddie » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:08 pm

Hi Julius,

Congrats on your find man - there's not that many around at the moment and the prices seem to be all over the place.

Thansk for flagging that thread, this is exacly the reason I appreciate forums like these - many people smarter than I, all sharing the smarts :D I'll go and read up.

You're Melb based right? Did you go for a PPI through anyone when you bought hours? How useful/thorough were they (if you did)?

Cheers,
A.
SteadyEddie

Postby mogtribe » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:38 pm

Yep I'm in Melbourne.

I've never used a third party for a vehicle inspection, I usually just bring a friend, look for all the common things, and go for good long test drive.

There never seen to be many around in Melbourne, I got mine from Sydney. I didn't have a lot of time so shop around so I took a bit of a gamble, flew straight up but it turned out OK.

A friend has bought a few cars from interstate and he always used the same PPI company. I can ask him the name of the place if you like?

Either way let me know how you go!
mogtribe

Postby SteadyEddie » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:04 pm

Thanks @mogtribe - if you could grab the name of the PPI company, that would be great.

I keep seeing more outside of Victoria, especially at the price point I'm after. If I was in the market for a sedan, I'd be on a flight right now to check this puppy out;
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/det ... 7?WT.seg_4

In the past, I brought my own stands/jack with me and owner permitting, lifted the car up and played hide & seek with oil leaks and rusty spots. Insterstate inspections are a pain as my hydraulic jack doesn't fit in the overhead compartment :x
SteadyEddie

Postby mogtribe » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:56 pm

Just messaged him asking for the details of the PPI company. Will let you know when he replies.

Edit: The company is called State Roads
http://www.stateroads.com.au

SteadyEddie wrote: my hydraulic jack doesn't fit in the overhead compartment :x

Haha... me think of this commercial from years ago...
https://youtu.be/3wTJagfA5Dg
mogtribe

Postby SteadyEddie » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:10 pm

Thats great, thanks Julius.

I'll give them a call if an interstate wagon pops up.
SteadyEddie

Return to Introductions