New to Sydney

Introduce yourself

New to Sydney

Postby MorganPoll » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:51 am

Hey everyone,

My name is Morgan, just moved to Sydney in early January from southern New Zealand,
After about a month and a half of denial I've finally given in and bought a 2006 Subaru liberty 2.5 sedan in Atlantic blue.
Previous rides have been 3 generations of Golf GTI (3,4,5) finally come to my senses and moved over to the Japanese side!

Look forward to chatting with people on here and hopefully making some like minded friends.

Cheers :)
MorganPoll

Car: 2005 Subaru Liberty 2.5i

Re: New to Sydney

Postby 06gtb » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:55 pm

Howdy Morgs, I'm new to the brand too. I've had everything from the classic Aussie V8 to tiny ricers to luxury saloons, and I have to say my late '06 Spec.B is the perfect balance between thirsty V8/XR6 performance with a bit of cornering power to boot, and pure passenger luxury. What do you think of the SI-Drive feature so far? I reckon it' s seriously underrated!

Cheers,
Dicko
06gtb

Car: MY07 - Liberty GT Spec.B, Regal Blue

New to Sydney

Postby MorganPoll » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:20 pm

Hey there! Absolutely loving the liberty so far, was nervous at first because all I've known is small low powered front wheel drives but the all wheel drive is growing on me fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MorganPoll

Postby 06gtb » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:56 pm

Yeah I started on the small Japanese FWDs too, but once you actually get a taste of power... There really isn't any going back. Even my mum, who had a K24 powered Accord Euro immediately regretted her decision to switch to auto, and downgrade to a Civic hatch.

I didn't catch whether yours was auto or manual? I've done a bit of driving in a 2014 Outback, which to the best of my knowledge has pretty much the same powerplant as our 2.5L Liberties minus the turbo, but it's automatic with paddle shifts if the driver is so inclined...

But whichever way you slice it, I found the auto just a horrible thing to drive with. Put your foot down and you wait at least a full second for some computer to realise that gear can't generate the necessary torque and thus downshift. It's part of the reason I put T5 on the back of my Lexus LS400,but even that gearbox was infinitely more responsive.

Now, the Outback and Liberty and/or WRX are very different cars built for different specific purposes, so I have no comparison, and apart from the old man's Outback I have nothing to compare it with. I haven't drive an auto since I ripped it out of the Lexus almost 10 years ago.

Do you have any thoughts on the gearbox side of the equation? I didn't even consider auto cars in my search, so I am admittedly quite ignorant on these specific cars in auto vs. manual, but a 6-speed STI gearbox has gotta be hard to beat, right??
06gtb

Car: MY07 - Liberty GT Spec.B, Regal Blue

Postby dr20t » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:21 pm

Welcome

Check out our cruise that's coming up on 25th March - details on the NSW specific page of this forum

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby MorganPoll » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:10 pm

I made the massive mistake of running the 6 speed DSG paddle shift transmission on my mk5 GTI, while I admit you could smash through the gears rather quickly I didn't even consider auto for my next car, I went with the manual for my Liberty and I'm loving it!

Picking it up from the dealership and right into 5pm traffic wasn't ideal I have to say, getting used to using the clutch again, but once the roads cleared and I could give it some I had no regret with my decision at all!
MorganPoll

Postby MorganPoll » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:25 pm

And yes I will check out that cruise meet thanks! :D
MorganPoll

Return to Introductions