Checking in from Chicago - 2005 Outback XT, EJ20Y swap soon

Introduce yourself

Checking in from Chicago - 2005 Outback XT, EJ20Y swap soon

Postby l88m22vette » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:25 am

Hey everyone, just joined the boards because I'm going to be a doing an engine swap with hardware that's more similar to what's run in your neck of the woods. I bought an Outback XT almost exactly a year ago, but it didn't make it that long before the EJ had problems. I had done a timing belt but almost nothing else, around Christmas I got an o2 CEL and then a misfire on #2, I took it into a local place and the EJ255 ended up with 20% compression loss :x

So, I weighed the options - rebuilt engine for about $3500+USD with forged internals, a few trick parts, and some kind mods to the 5EAT so it doesn't get ruined, OR, get a low-mile used engine for about $2000. Perhaps stupidly, I went with the used engine, but got a hell of a deal instead. I split the difference on price and got a 2008 Spec-B front clip from Hong Kong, and amazingly it comes with the driveshaft, halfshafts, and rear subframe. That led me to a lot of research, and eventually to these Liberty boards, where I plan to ask a lot of questions and hopefully buy some good parts :)

- Eric
l88m22vette

Car: 2005 USDM Outback XT w/Spec-B EJ20Y

Return to Introductions