Hi - Outback owner from Belgium

Introduce yourself

Hi - Outback owner from Belgium

Postby *thomas* » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:36 am

Hi all

I bought a Forester SG5 two years ago and with only 146 000 km, I was planning on driving it for a few other years and change to an Outback afterwards... Things changed when I went to look at an Outback H6 that had been traded in at a local car dealer. It was purely out of curiosity, but when I found the most comprehensive service history (every bill from new, one owner car) in the glovebox. Bought the car and am glad I did.

After 3500 kmof ownership, I can't say much except that I'm very pleased with it :grin2:. It is such a nice upgrade coming from a Forester and I feel so lucky getting my hands on an H6. Outbacks are far between in Belgium, let alone a 3.0.

I can honestly say it is the best car I have ever owned. My parents drive a '04 XC70, and the Outback can easyly compare to that car on all levels.

After much thinking, the Forester will stay (for now). I wanted an XT (or STI) but lots of work has gone into this car and altough 125ps is not much, it's still a fun car and I can do some upgrades on it.

I hope to gain some usefull knowledge from this forum about adding some parts that will give that STI look to my Outback. Is is completely stock, but this won't be for long...

Update November 18th 2015

The OEM 17 inch wheels have some small marks. Furthermore, one of the two front tyres had an uneven wear pattern, caused by a deflating tyre (as mentioned in the service history). With winter on its way, I mounted a set of 16 inch Outback H4 wheels with Vredestein all season tyres. I ran them on my Forester for approx 6000 miles, so plenty of meat left.

Update November 22nd 2015

Because there was no history on the AT, I decided to do the triple transoil change. I chose Ardeca (Mobil 1), which has the same specification as OEM ATF HP. You could see a definitve change in color after the third change and the gearbox changes gears very smoothly.

While being under the car, I also replaced oil (5W30) and filter. The previous owner ran the car on 10W60, but since winter is coming, 5W30 seemed like the way to go. Will keep a close eye on the level.

Since the car has now done 100 000 miles, I ordered idler and tension pulleys, as well as a new belt. Hope the weather stays as it is now (no dry workplace), otherwise I'll have the dealer to change it.

Will keep you guys informed and will post some pictures as soon as I can.

Update November 25th, 2015

A few months ago, I put some Outback 16 inch wheels on my Forester with fresh all season tyres. Since winter isn't to harsh, I put them on the Outback today and put the stock 15 inch wheels back on the Forester. No sure if I'll keep that car, depends on what the girlfriend has to say.

Update December 1st 2015

Back from the dealer. They replaced the aux belt, tensioner and pulleys. Weather is to bad to tackle this myself. Old pulleys were still running quite smoothly, but don't want to end stranted during winter.

Some more good news, I convinced my girlfriend that it would come in handy to keep the Forester as a third car, way more practical than here peugeot 207 hatchback and much safer in winter... Only problem, I now have two cars to waste money on :).
*thomas*

Car: Outback 3.0R 5EAT 2006

Re: Hi - Outback owner from Belgium

Postby BUDDAH » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:37 am

Welcome to the forum Thomas I have great memories of Belgium some of the prettiest girls on earth live there along with some fugleys . I have owned most models of Subaru but never a Outback ? nothing against them just never crossed my mind. :?
BUDDAH
I've been banned

Postby Flat6Estate » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:53 pm

Welcome. My cousin used to date a Danish guy who had the same model h6 liberty I drive now. If I hadn't met him, I don't think I would be driving my H6.
You Europeans know how to pick a good car.
MY08 Spec B 3.0L Manual Wagon
1998 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat - a bit broken :-o
Flat6Estate
formerly Timbo_rs2500

Car: 2007 MY08 Liberty Wagon 3RB 6spd
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32189&p=425885#p425885

Postby *thomas* » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:38 am

Flat6Estate wrote:You Europeans know how to pick a good car.

Funny you should say that, because most people in Belgium have never heard of subaru, besides the impreza. The only countries where you find quite a lot of them are the Scandinavian countries and switserland...

But, the H6 is a wonderful engine.
*thomas*

Car: Outback 3.0R 5EAT 2006

Return to Introductions