[Newbie Subie] MY08 Liberty GT 2.5T Spec B Sedan (Auto)

Introduce yourself

Re: [Newbie Subie] MY08 Liberty GT 2.5T Sedan (Auto)

Postby Crampy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:18 am

• Exhaust
  • Honestly, I don't want her too loud. The only consideration for me was flow rates - so any decent system with high-flow cats, but still enough to pass unnoticed in day-to-day driving (Well, until I put my foot down at least...) :mrgreen:
  • Blow-off valve
  • — I don't have a gauge in at the moment (another little side project for one day) so I'm not certain exactly what the turbo is doing, or how well the system is holding pressure. So maybe that gauge, then tune, then valve if required.
  • Front-mount intercooler
  • Intercooler was always a maybe thing. I had a feeling that would be the case. I haven't got her hot and bothered yet, and temp stays rock-solidly in the centre of the gauge. So intercooler is off the list.
  • Tune
  • I remember Kido being mentioned alongside Matt McLeod and others on other posts, so they're high on my list of places to look at for the tune.
  • Carbon Fibre scoop
  • I'll definitely take photos / video of it being done then. It'll take some fairly precise cutting, I know that much already...
  • Boot spoiler retrofit
  • Yeah, she feels a bit bare without one. I'm considering pricing up a stealership for both a stock one fitted and DIY kit. I'd prefer to not make holes if I can avoid it, but if it's ridiculously expensive I might even find one on a donor car if one exists somewhere.
  • LED interior lighting, and colour match front sidelights to HIDs
  • Ready-made LED lights for the interior are commonplace, and there's already a thread on LED colour matching sidelights to HID headlights on this forum. Link: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=29541
  • Gutter rash
  • I've been suggested to repair rather than replace. Maybe factory GTB rims painted STI dark grey would set it apart on the cheap. some paint codes have been listed here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30321
  • Bluetooth add-on - McIntosh
  • definitely heard about the GROM IPD-3 with BT kit, when even the factory 3.5mm stereo jack kit is $220, the Grom for up to $400 depending on configuration is actually quite reasonably priced.

Thanks for your input Shav, muchly appreciated :)
--
Adam Cramp
North Brisneyland
Crampy

Car: 2023 Kia Rio
Profile URL: https://www.facebook.com/adam.cramp1

Re: [Newbie Subie] MY08 Liberty GT 2.5T Spec B Sedan (Auto)

Postby Tien GtB25 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:36 am

Welcome to the forum dude.

That grill is so much Ford Falcon / Fairmont style. ... as long as you like it ..that all it matters.

Warning- all them guys on here will HELP you to drain your wallet .... stay away ... stay away ....you have been warned.

Tien :mrgreen:
Tien GtB25

Car: MY08 Blk GTB 2.5
Profile URL: Definition of AWD - The ability to do burnout..front and back !

Postby shav » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:17 pm

Just to let you know Matt is Kido. They are one and the same.

I'd perhaps look at the Mishimoto TMIC group buy that Jack (Kobe Motorsport) is doing next. Great value, flow well, easy/fast to fit with no modifications and should be suitable for decent power.

The dump is the biggest restriction. If you upgraded that and mid pipe but kept your stock mufflers, you'll good torquey gains. The mufflers will only restrict again, if you are chasing big power.

Have a look at what Ultrex can do for boot lip spoilers. Alternatively you may need to look at Import Monster for JDM stuff.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby ferret89 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:23 pm

Welcome Adam, have to see if you can come along to the next QLD meet!

Couple of my thoughts on your plans:

1) Exhaust: Most of the performance improvements come from changing the dump pipe so you can always do that first and leave the rest stock and see how you like it after that. If you want more noise after that, you can easily do the rest of the exhaust system. (Note: tune required after this)

2) Tune: Kido and Matt are the same, a cheaper alternative if you are prepared to do some logging etc. yourself. Full dyno tuning isn't cheap but is more thorough.

3) Spoiler: Have a look at this: https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/12925 I'd say you could probably get that shipped, painted and installed for around $500-600

4) Grom BT3: I've got one, it's great. Works perfectly with the McIntosh and can use with steering wheel controls

Oh and I really don't like that grille, if it was me I'd change it ASAP :lol:
ferret89

Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Postby Crampy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:24 pm

Tien GtB25 wrote:Welcome to the forum dude.

That grill is so much Ford Falcon / Fairmont style. ... as long as you like it ..that all it matters.

Warning- all them guys on here will HELP you to drain your wallet .... stay away ... stay away ....you have been warned.

Tien :mrgreen:

Haha, yeah I did have some people say "Oh, it's a liberty? I thought you bought a Falcon..." so maybe, depends on how the alternatives look. And dollars. Both on the price tags and in my wallet. But yeah, I got that, and I'm pretty sure the mod bug has bitten. Cheers Tien.

shav wrote:Just to let you know Matt is Kido. They are one and the same.

I'd perhaps look at the Mishimoto TMIC group buy that Jack (Kobe Motorsport) is doing next. Great value, flow well, easy/fast to fit with no modifications and should be suitable for decent power.

The dump is the biggest restriction. If you upgraded that and mid pipe but kept your stock mufflers, you'll good torquey gains. The mufflers will only restrict again, if you are chasing big power.

Have a look at what Ultrex can do for boot lip spoilers. Alternatively you may need to look at Import Monster for JDM stuff.

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind. As for power, at the moment, in a completely unscientific road test of 0-100km/h on a freeway onramp (Me driving, mate in the passenger seat with a smartphone stopwatch), I got about 9.2s. All it is for really is to wake it up that little bit, and unleash the potential of what's already in the engine bay. I'll definitely check out the Mishimoto thread, see the dollars and weigh it up. The stock one has a few bent fins in it, either from bugs or people, so there's my excuse to upgrade :wink: . I'll keep that in mind too about the exhaust, only swapping out the dump pipe, would save some coin, and I imagine keep her quiet. Thanks for pointing me to Ultrex, seems they read my mind and have the carbon fibre bonnet scoop inserts; they have them pre-made as well as a lip spoiler and a blank carbon fibre surround mesh insert front grille... Seems your warning came too late Tien! So many things to spend money on... I might still try the wrap option for the current grille, see how it goes, because it will be cheaper than the aftermarket bolt-in part, but if I fail dismally, it's good to know the option's there. Cheers Shav.

ferret89 wrote:Welcome Adam, have to see if you can come along to the next QLD meet!

Couple of my thoughts on your plans:

1) Exhaust: Most of the performance improvements come from changing the dump pipe so you can always do that first and leave the rest stock and see how you like it after that. If you want more noise after that, you can easily do the rest of the exhaust system. (Note: tune required after this)

2) Tune: Kido and Matt are the same, a cheaper alternative if you are prepared to do some logging etc. yourself. Full dyno tuning isn't cheap but is more thorough.

3) Spoiler: Have a look at this: https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/12925 I'd say you could probably get that shipped, painted and installed for around $500-600

4) Grom BT3: I've got one, it's great. Works perfectly with the McIntosh and can use with steering wheel controls

Oh and I really don't like that grille, if it was me I'd change it ASAP :lol:

Cheers Ferret, grille opinion noted :good: It is good to know that the unit can be used with the steering controls. How does it go with call handling? And is it painful to mount the mic up in the A-pillar? Hmm. Plenty to think about. I was actually leaning more towards the Ultrex spoiler linked by Shav, I just prefer the way the other ones extend past the boot to cover the rest of the arse end...

I wouldn't mind putting her up on a dyno, more to satisfy curiosity than anything else, so when I get to the stage where I'm ready to do that, I'll probably look around for somewhere to do it and give it a few passes on the dyno while I'm at it.

I'm definitely keen for the next meet, whenever that may be. As long as I'm not stuck at work instead :?
--
Adam Cramp
North Brisneyland
Crampy

Postby Crampy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:44 pm

Haven't posted an update in a while :/

Since I've been away, the following have been added:
TCP Catback exhaust (Cheers Steve B :D)
Sony XSP-N1BT head unit install (WIP - fascias shipping as I speak, still need to source an Axxess SWC unit...) but works well with its line-level outs into the stock amp
KiDo Tune

Aside from a CEL scare, which turned out to be the ECU having a fit (Due to low oil, apparently :|), I couldn't be happier with the car :)
Last edited by Crampy on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
Adam Cramp
North Brisneyland
Crampy

Postby shav » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:04 pm

Crampy wrote:Haven't posted an update in a while :/

Sony XSP-N1BT head unit install (WIP - fascias shipping as I speak, still need to source an Axxess SWC unit...) but works well with its line-level outs into the stock amp
KiDo Tune

Aside from a CEL scare, which turned out to be the ECU having a fit :|, I couldn't be happier with the car :)

Nice work Adam. Notice a difference post tune after the exhaust went on?
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby Crampy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:41 am

shav wrote:
Crampy wrote:Haven't posted an update in a while :/

KiDo Tune

Aside from a CEL scare, which turned out to be the ECU having a fit (Due to lowish oil :|), I couldn't be happier with the car :)

Nice work Adam. Notice a difference post tune after the exhaust went on?

Not really, it wasn't until after a service (earlier today actually) I really noticed the difference. Checked my oil before she went in - black as anything and low. SO I think I might start doing half-service interval oil changes myself. That and because it's from a preface GT, I've still got the stock dump into cat, so there's still some restriction there.

HU install is now done, until I get some other preventative maintenance out of the way, stealership really has a way of reminding you of the things you already knew you needed... Oh well.
--
Adam Cramp
North Brisneyland
Crampy

Postby Crampy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:47 pm

Had to take a downgrade... unfortunate circumstances; but I’m now in a Gen2/1998 GX wagon.

Few things on the modlist so far, but nothing crazy :/
--
Adam Cramp
North Brisneyland
Crampy

Postby binary » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:43 am

Sorry to hear that mate but the Gen 2's are great cars, especially a wagon!

Lots of fun stuff you can do mod wise on it. I'd recommend to do all the handling bits first, swaybars, bushes, braces, coilovers, brakes, then motor. Just chip away at it slowly and save for each bit and pay cash.
MY05 Liberty GT auto wagon | Ultrex dump pipe, tuned by Torqued Performance http://www.torquedperformance.com/
binary

Car: MY05 GT 5EAT wagon

Previous

Return to Introductions