New member Subaru liberty gen 5 Isports premium

Introduce yourself

Re: New member Subaru liberty gen 5 Isports premium

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:41 am

I’d recommend changing nothing on the engine, inlet or exhaust, unless you’re willing to do things properly and get it tuned to suit the mods.

Most owners struggle to keep the stock systems properly maintained.

See my links in my signature for more info.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Yowie » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:25 am

I’d recommend changing nothing on the engine, inlet or exhaust, unless you’re willing to do things properly and get it tuned to suit the mods.

The "need" for a tune depends on the modification and the starting point.

Cat-back exhaust mods arguably will have no effect.

Likewise, if more air can get to the airbox (eg due to the resonator being replaced with a second intake pipe), all the air is still flowing through the stock MAF housing and being measured.

Conversely, different exhaust manifolds, different MAF housings, different cams etc. have a more direct effect on things and usually require a tune.

Remember too that in the present case we are dealing with a stock naturally-aspirated "low powered" engine with a factory tune set to "very rich under load" for the international market Wally/safety factor. Simple low-impact mods are hardly going to cause skyrocketing cylinder pressures, lean conditions under load and/or destructive knock.

Different story making changes to an already-modified forced induction engine with cylinder pressures already close to mechanical limits. An adjustment to the tune to accompany more modifications is indeed good advice for something so highly strung.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:29 am

Yet the mods are proposed without any regard to being able to gauge the results as they affect the tune and performance.

So surely gaining the appropriate logging tools, knowledge and making contact with a tuner would be a sensible approach?
bigBADbenny

Postby Yowie » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:29 am

Yet the mods are proposed without any regard to being able to gauge the results as they affect the tune and performance.

So surely gaining the appropriate logging tools, knowledge and making contact with a tuner would be a sensible approach?

The poster is (I assume) a young bloke with his first nice car (naturally aspirated) who wants to do a few cosmetic mods, lower it, put cooler mufflers on it and perhaps remove the resonator from the airbox. I also assume that budget is a factor.

Let's not discourage new people by setting the bar too high in terms of cost and complexity for what they are trying to achieve.

On a technical level, the proposed changes are going to make minimal or nil engine performance difference - but the car will sound better and Yograj will get to enjoy the satisfaction we all enjoy from successfully modifying the car. From there his technical knowledge and skill will grow. He may end up with a faster car that he modifies in more "serious" ways that include the electronic elements you recommend. If Yograj's next car is also a Subaru, we may have the pleasure of seeing his journey on this forum.

In an era where car forums are suffering in the shadow of facebook (etc) we want to encourage new members to stick around.

Conversely, if Yograj is led to believe he needs to spend money on his own electronics and/or a tune before he can do these modest & inexpensive changes he may not bother.
Yowie

Postby Yograj » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:16 am

Yowie wrote:

The poster is (I assume) a young bloke with his first nice car (naturally aspirated) who wants to do a few cosmetic mods, lower it, put cooler mufflers on it and perhaps remove the resonator from the airbox. I also assume that budget is a factor.

Let's not discourage new people by setting the bar too high in terms of cost and complexity for what they are trying to achieve.

On a technical level, the proposed changes are going to make minimal or nil engine performance difference - but the car will sound better and Yograj will get to enjoy the satisfaction we all enjoy from successfully modifying the car. From there his technical knowledge and skill will grow. He may end up with a faster car that he modifies in more "serious" ways that include the electronic elements you recommend. If Yograj's next car is also a Subaru, we may have the pleasure of seeing his journey on this forum.

In an era where car forums are suffering in the shadow of facebook (etc) we want to encourage new members to stick around.

Conversely, if Yograj is led to believe he needs to spend money on his own electronics and/or a tune before he can do these modest & inexpensive changes he may not bother.

Thanks Yowie for the reply. You are right. I am very new into car world and still have heaps to learn which I am trying everyday. As a beginner You watch some Youtube videos and read some articles and try to apply then in real life. They do not work all the time and I was lucky enough to find this Subaru community page which is very helpful in every possible way.
My car is not the fastest or very best to spend a lot of money on. If it was a good WRX STI it would make sense to spend money to modify and tune it. After reading everything here I would just spend some money on getting muffler on my car and that’s it. No modifications on the engine or spend money on the cosmetics.When I upgrade my car in the future I will make sure to do a whole lot research and invest money in the car which I can keep for longer period of time.
Yograj

Car: Subaru Liberty gen 5

Postby Yowie » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:28 am

No worries Yograj - everyone has to start somewhere. My first car was 1.2 litre a Datsun 120Y. Certainly no race car but I learned a lot modifying it and loved driving it. The dual Webber carburettors sounded great at full throttle.
Yowie

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:29 pm

That’s great advice :good:

Personally, I’d be inclined to consider going bananas with the learning curve and potentially gain 10% somewhere in the rpm range.

But with tuned n/a Libs, it’s apparently not the gains that matter as much as the improvements in the drivability.

This effect is even more apparent if the car is an auto and your tuner offers a tcu tune in addition to the ecu tune.

There’s a lot on the table, including that as a beginner track car, some say a sorted 2.5i is only a few seconds slower than a turbo or h6, yet is able to deliver extended lapping time :swoon:
bigBADbenny

Previous

Return to Introductions