Subaru Legacy NA to full Turbo swap build thread

Introduce yourself

Subaru Legacy NA to full Turbo swap build thread

Postby TheHoffmann » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:46 pm

Hi all, after having some problems lately, members of the facebook group pressured me into wirting a build thread for better analyzing the problems and for storing the answers..So here we go :D

I'm from Germany, and the highest hp model we got was the 3.0. After watching the Supergramps build years ago, I decided to buy myself a Legacy Wagon as my first car (at that time I was 17 years old). I Really liked the looks, the AWD, the boxer rumble, just an awesome car overall. Over the years normal mods like springs, new brakes, the usual stuff happend.

After I finished school, I worked for an exhaust company for 1 year, to bridge the time until apprenticeship would start. That's when I met my coworker, and the downward spiral began :)

He had an 05 STi sitting in his front yard he had crashed and flipped it like 7-8 times (got lucky that he survived without injuries), but he wasn't ready to let it go. We always made fun of how awesome it would be to have a turbo legacy, as he was into the mk4 legacy aswell. Side fact: Last year he got himself a full spec 06 facelift legacy with the 2.0 turbo and 6MT, really nice car.

Long Story short: I quit the job to start apprenticeship, and 1 year later he calls me and says 'Either you take it for free and part it out or I'm gonna tow it to the wreckers'. So I got myself a trailer and brought it home.

I ripped it all apart, and started looking on what could be used on the legacy and what was junk. In the end, I only used the 6MT, the exhaust manifold + turbo and the brembos for the legacy, either selling the other parts or throwing them away.

Because of german TÜV, I could only use OEM parts to have any chance of getting it engineered afterwards (still not done).

To the build list:

- ej207 wc20 shortblock (bought of subaru with crank, rods and pistons)
- ej20x/y heads, fully machined
- inconel intake and exhaust valves
- arp head studs
- rcm head gasket
- jdm lgt intake manifold
- jdm lgt tgv deletes
- jdm lgt fuel rail system
- group n engine mounts
- group n trans mounts
- full PU bushings on everything
- the r180 special diff bracket thing
- frankenstein r180 rear axles with lgt and sti parts
- genuine oem r180 ltbsti backing plates for the brembos
- lightend flywheel and stronger clutch
- kartboy shortshifter

- lgt auto ecu

The ecu thing is spaced out on purpose. I completely focused the turbo yoda in myself and cut up the wiring harness in the passenger footwell. Bought the matching rhd wiring harness of a jdm lgt, removed everything non engine, and spliced it into my n/a loom. Was a heck of a job, but finally, the engine started and is now working. The car is currently working, but that's about it. I got 3 remaining problems:

- Somehow my throttle is not working correctly, it picks up the throttle, but it limits it. I have a tactrix cable, but no clue on how to access the ecu. When the car was at the shop to get the key programmed, we could see that the throttle plate sensor does work correctly (it knows how much % its open when pushed by hand), but I could't check if its the servo inside thats shot or what's going on. As I said it's running on a auto ecu, we grounded it so it knows its manual, but could be still because of auto.

- I still get a 'Er HC' in the dash, not quit sure why because the key is programmed in, but that's for another time.

- The last big one is that my AC does not work, I did not change anything in the wiring, I checked all the fuses, but the control panel does not work. I got 2 and none work, I tried switching the HVAC ECU but idn't help either. As I understand if you have an AC it's relevant for getting your TÜV...

I hope that summarizes the build for future problems, like I said that throttle problem is annoying af...

Greetings from germany, keep it up guys
Attachments
81958177_2206126709692015_8588076696521932800_n.jpg
81958177_2206126709692015_8588076696521932800_n.jpg (251.27 KiB) Viewed 5636 times
TheHoffmann

Car: 2006 Subaru Legacy Turbo

Re: Subaru Legacy NA to full Turbo swap build thread

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:40 am

At last!
Pretty sure it was dismayed encouragement, an appeal to logic, as opposed to actual pressure :P

Great to see the car is running, lets help you over the line :good:

Ok so the recipient is an eudm
my04 2.0L n/a auto...?

The donor is an my05 jdm sti...?

The installed ecu is from a what year LGT, what model, engine, trans, what market???

The bulkhead harness to the engine has been somewhat merged with an LGT turbo harness to suit the hybrid engine?

Your installed HVAC is what came with the recipient car: single zone climate control?

The car is currently using the 6mt from the donor?

You have 2 choices with the taxtrix,

use a PC with Romraider (or freessm) or:

use an Android, Btssm app and OTG adapter
(USB A female to your phones charge/otg port), use the “OTG?” app on playstore to see if your phone is compatible.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby TheHoffmann » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:02 pm

I'm already sold on how much easier it would have been to write a build thread a year ago...

But let's get started :)

Almost, the recipient is an eudm 2006 2.0L n/a manual. It's a late April model, which as I understand, is kind of a mixed bag, because of the facelift switch it's part preface part facelift.

Brakes and Gearbox was donated from the 05 UK STi (JF1GDBKH34G038060).

ECU and engine came of a jdm lgt (BP5072895). The harness to the engine is completely stock, I only merged the wires that went to the OBD Port or that route to fuses. And yes, the HVAC is the stock single zone one that came with the car.

Yes, 6MT it is with everything working. All gauges work.

Is there a tutorial somewhere for the romraider? Don't wanna brick someting. Otherwise I have to wait for my tuner to explain it to me, and knowing his schedule, that could take a few weeks...
TheHoffmann

Postby Noodlemon » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:26 am

TheHoffmann wrote:- The last big one is that my AC does not work, I did not change anything in the wiring, I checked all the fuses, but the control panel does not work. I got 2 and none work, I tried switching the HVAC ECU but idn't help either. As I understand if you have an AC it's relevant for getting your TÜV...

When I changed the loom over on my manual swap my AC didn't work afterwards. I was stumped but eventually found that two plugs which look identical on the blower under the passenger side dash were switched. I swapped them over and it magically came to life.

Although you did mention you didn't change any wiring but if you're cutting and re-wiring the ecu, it might be worth just double checking this.

Here is what I think the two connectors were but I'm not 100% sure from the diagram as I fixed it with the dash out :D

ac-1.gif
Bulkhead wiring diagram
ac-1.gif (105 KiB) Viewed 5569 times

ac2.PNG
ac2.PNG (14.85 KiB) Viewed 5569 times
Noodlemon

Car: 2004 3.0R 6MT Outback

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:17 pm

Love it ^ :good:

Julian, was your my06 2.0 dohc or sohc?
That’s iirc 2.0i vs 2.0R.

Since you have a great lead for the hvac issue above, this info is more for the throttle issue :)
bigBADbenny

Postby TheHoffmann » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:55 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Love it ^ :good:

Julian, was your my06 2.0 dohc or sohc?
That’s iirc 2.0i vs 2.0R.

Since you have a great lead for the hvac issue above, this info is more for the throttle issue :)

It was the 121kw (165HP) engine, so I think it was the 2.0R. Gonna order a tactrix cable, so we can get insight into the ecu for further information. If I find another throttle body I'll buy it, maybe mine is just shot.
TheHoffmann

Postby TheHoffmann » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:10 am

Noodlemon wrote:
TheHoffmann wrote:- The last big one is that my AC does not work, I did not change anything in the wiring, I checked all the fuses, but the control panel does not work. I got 2 and none work, I tried switching the HVAC ECU but idn't help either. As I understand if you have an AC it's relevant for getting your TÜV...

When I changed the loom over on my manual swap my AC didn't work afterwards. I was stumped but eventually found that two plugs which look identical on the blower under the passenger side dash were switched. I swapped them over and it magically came to life.

Although you did mention you didn't change any wiring but if you're cutting and re-wiring the ecu, it might be worth just double checking this.

Here is what I think the two connectors were but I'm not 100% sure from the diagram as I fixed it with the dash out :D

ac-1.gif

ac2.PNG

You Sir, are a legend. The 2 green plugs where plugged into the wrong one, swapped them over and it worked flawlessly...Thank you very much for the help, never haave guessed that that could be the problem.
TheHoffmann

Postby Noodlemon » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:56 pm

TheHoffmann wrote:You Sir, are a legend. The 2 green plugs where plugged into the wrong one, swapped them over and it worked flawlessly...Thank you very much for the help, never haave guessed that that could be the problem.

Haha, I had a feeling it was that. Great to hear! :good:
Noodlemon

Car: 2004 3.0R 6MT Outback

Postby TheHoffmann » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:50 pm

My tactrix cable arrived. Is there a good write-up for how to pull my stock map of the ecu and flash it with a new one?

I found the romraider site where a lot of base maps are linked. How do I check which map is correct for my ecu?

https://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtop ... =35&t=7591

My ECU has the CAL ID A2WD012A, can i use any 2004 legacy gt mt one? I read that the first few digits have to match, otherwise it won't work.
TheHoffmann

Postby TheHoffmann » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:07 am

TheHoffmann wrote:My tactrix cable arrived. Is there a good write-up for how to pull my stock map of the ecu and flash it with a new one?

I found the romraider site where a lot of base maps are linked. How do I check which map is correct for my ecu?

https://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtop ... =35&t=7591

My ECU has the CAL ID A2WD012A, can i use any 2004 legacy gt mt one? I read that the first few digits have to match, otherwise it won't work.

YESYESYES :) I flashed a jdm legacy gt manual rom (A2WD012B) on my ecu, and everything works. ER HC is gone, cruise works, throttle works 100% :D :D :D :D :D
TheHoffmann

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:21 am

Fantastic!
Is the hvac issue also resolved?
bigBADbenny

Postby TheHoffmann » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:35 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Fantastic!
Is the hvac issue also resolved?

Yes, there are two green plugs 5cm apart, and I plugged them in the other wrong one. Switched them around and panel started right up.
TheHoffmann

Postby Kimmo » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:54 pm

Wow, that's a fair bit to bite off, especially with TUV breathing down your neck.

Good work.
Kimmo

Car: 07 GT-B

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:35 am

Similar build in planning over here, I’m sure the chap could do with some advice ;)
https://m.facebook.com/comment/replies/ ... ef=m_notif
bigBADbenny

Postby TheHoffmann » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:21 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Similar build in planning over here, I’m sure the chap could do with some advice ;)
https://m.facebook.com/comment/replies/ ... ef=m_notif

Facebook can't find the link...any chance to find the post in another way? Facebook doing Facebook things
TheHoffmann

Next

Return to Introductions