Super MAF - 6GEN Liberty/Legacy EZ36 Premium - CVT

Super MAF - 6GEN Liberty/Legacy EZ36 Premium - CVT

Postby Tradewind » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:16 pm

The first tuning part for the 6GEN EZ36 is on its way

Testing the new Super Maf for the 6GEN EZ36

The test setup is basic and not optimised for cold air, that said we measure the gains - see the chart, the pressure increase at the throttle body is significant, increases greater than 100% at all rpm points. We have a tune file to suit this upgrade which was developed by Matt from Kido Racing

The approximate max power gains are in the vicinity of 8kw/11hp. It offers a LOT more punch from mid to high rpm, the motor pulls really well at the upshifts. Very impressive

We now have to polish this up into a product for the masses

It will be a product that requires a custom tune immediately upon installation due to the fact it has a much larger area in the MAF than stock.

Of further note, if you come across ANY aftermarket intake product for an EZ36 (5&6 GEN) that features the same internal MAF area as stock (which means you dont need a tune for it) - I can assure you those products will offer NO power gain. The restriction is all in the MAF body area and therefore it has to be increased in size, no other way around it.

Approx 165kw at the tires with this mod and the Kido Tune that goes with it. The tune optimises the gains of the MAF as well as makes gains from optimised tuning that the motor needs

Raptor - real numbers, real gains
Attachments
Pod and Super MAF.jpg
Pod and Super MAF.jpg (84.85 KiB) Viewed 7674 times
Intake losses and gains.JPG
Charted losses
Intake losses and gains.JPG (41.22 KiB) Viewed 7674 times
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Re: Super MAF - 6GEN Liberty/Legacy EZ36 Premium - CVT

Postby west_minist » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:52 pm

Tim,

When you say the problem is the MAF, isn't the MAF around the same size as in the turbo models? If that is the case, the 3.6 maybe introducing standing waves that maybe counter productive in its operations.

Thinking back to the Lexus IS, the 3S-GE had a bigger Throttle body and MAF compared to other 2.0L engine I ever seen.

In addition, the test setup you show for now (you said will change....obviously) is pulling in quite a bit of hot air. Can you show the increase in temperature and power at that point between both the stock and the alpha design?

If standing waves, the piping from the MAF to the throttle body maybe very important in it design: length and size. Also possible throttle body size too. What I am driving at, a change in the inlet piping could more change the behaviour than anything else. Was this look at?

There are some aftermarkets that have a slight increase in MAF tube volume that place the filter as close to the box or into the bumper with little to no increase in performance. Most you see turbulence.

We look forward to more updates with a little more data that wouldn't disseminate too much info that would help your competition.
west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

Postby Tradewind » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:23 am

West

The MAF remains in same location as stock, all the pipework is OEM Subaru, just the MAF is changed, this has resulted in a massive 10" watergauge pressure drop, car has been tuned to MAF by KiDo racing, and while I only have done seat of pants feel it seems the gain is decent.

For data, Matt/KiDo has the performance data, he also noted inlet temp was in stock range when driving. Maybe he will post here the power estimate for us. This is measured the same way in which you do your power measurements.

I am currently working on the SC system, this NA unit is ready to retail when I get to it
Tradewind

Postby Tradewind » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:43 pm

The super MAF has now evolved into a complete airbox system inclusive of the huge MAF body.

With headers, MAF, full exaust and Matt Mcleod tuning the power gains are at ~35kw extra - that is HEAPS of extra power. Worlds best setup for EZ36 in the 6th GEN Liberty/Legacy

We will offer a combo pack of Super MAF intake, headers AND the tune - full package to make Liberty Legacy about equal performance to AUDI A5 Sedan

This combo is race track proven with testing at Sandown Raceway (reduce circuit time by 1.5 seconds) and lots of dyno testing to prove the numbers
Tradewind

Return to Raptor Superchargers