4GEN Liberty/Legacy - RAM INTAKE SYSTEM

CAI Options select your choice

Poll ended at Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:03 pm

1. Stay with my stock air box/intake system and maybe add a K&N or similar replacement performance filter
11%
2. A fancy mandrel bent polished 3" pipe with MAF mount (power benefit unknown and possibly very loud) - look sexy - Price range $280 - $350
6%
3. Advanced dyno proven intake system with tapered air guide to MAF, dual layer air filter (material not decided on yet), 10kw (Proven) gain at wheels - emits amazing Porsche H6 induction sounds (proven) Price range $340 - $480
83%

Total votes : 35

Re: Raptor Performance - STAGE 4 RAM INTAKE

Postby chanham » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:59 am

450nm? That's a massive gain compared to stock 297nm!
chanham
formerly ciand06

Car: Subaru Liberty 3.0R 2004
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18831

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:17 pm

chanham wrote:450nm? That's a massive gain compared to stock 297nm!

It is wheel torque though, not crank torque. Wheel choice affects it as much as tune etc. I lightweight set of Enkei's or Advans will give you more wheel torque due to less weight to get moving.

That said, I have already been reverse engineering the crank torque figure
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby Tradewind » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:50 am

Another week down, any feedback update on the RAM etc

Thanx in advance
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby 666 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:41 pm

Tradewind wrote:666

Another week down, any feedback update on the RAM etc

Thanx in advance

Well this Monday will be two weeks since the Ram Air fit and Matt tune.

I don't get to drive the car during the week so my time is limited to the weekends. Fuel economy seems to be a little worse, over a full tank it averaged 11.0L/100Klms before I was getting 10.2L/100Klms. It's too early to call but over the next three fills I will have a better idea.
Driving impressions are that there is a real surge/kick in the pants between around 4000 - 5500rpm. It's a real torque type feel, more pull than before. Below 3500rpm it's not much of an improvement, but that's allways the case with these engines. Intake noise in my opinion is not apparant at idle, a little more at revs but not screaming. I think if you want to hear it you need to remove the shroud that sits under the body between the front bar and the wheel arch. This will let you hear it but also will allow water to get up into the air filter area, not recommended.

I will update more in a few weeks time.

Rob.

Car: Spec.B

Postby Tradewind » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:04 am

^^^

As above - definitely my findings also, re engine response, driving pleasure and fuel consumption. I am in the same range also which is more that previous for me also.

The admission of more air demands that more fuel will be needed to keep ratio, hence good power increases :)
Tradewind

Postby SamD » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:27 am

Intake looks great Tim, already have headers + KiDo tune and looking to add intake soon.

Matt looks like he has already done great job with re-tune and interested to know how the re-tune process will work. Is it safe with new intake for remote tune + logging or will we need to catch up for road test / dyne time?
SamD

Car: 07 3.0R-B 6MT

Postby Tradewind » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:39 pm

SamD wrote:Intake looks great Tim, already have headers + KiDo tune and looking to add intake soon.

Matt looks like he has already done great job with re-tune and interested to know how the re-tune process will work. Is it safe with new intake for remote tune + logging or will we need to catch up for road test / dyne time?

Over to Matt on this one ............
Tradewind

Postby Tradewind » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:59 pm

My update

Tank average on short run - 10.4

Tank average on highway 8.8

Wouldn't give up the CAI for anything, huge driving improvement gains from > 4krpm
Last edited by Tradewind on Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tradewind

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:40 pm

SamD wrote:Intake looks great Tim, already have headers + KiDo tune and looking to add intake soon.

Remote logging can work. The MAF scaling is easily tuned BUT the big issue here is throttle tip in enrichment(fuel added when throttle moves) which needs calibration to account for the extra suction of air instantly available before the MAF senses an increase in airflow. 666's car was low on fuel in the tank, which meant rapid throttle movements could suck the fuel bucket in the tank dry when the Fuel pressure regulator ramped up fuel pressure as fuel flow increased quickly and the pump had minimal fuel available
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby 666 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:26 am

KiDo_Tuning wrote:

Remote logging can work. The MAF scaling is easily tuned BUT the big issue here is throttle tip in enrichment(fuel added when throttle moves) which needs calibration to account for the extra suction of air instantly available before the MAF senses an increase in airflow. 666's car was low on fuel in the tank, which meant rapid throttle movements could suck the fuel bucket in the tank dry when the Fuel pressure regulator ramped up fuel pressure as fuel flow increased quickly and the pump had minimal fuel available

Hey Matt I sent you those AF ratios last week. Can you look at them and let me know what you think.

Rob

Postby Tradewind » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:02 am

More everyday highway driving yesterday (something we rarely do) - 7.8 liters per 100km

Very happy with that - STAGE 4 RAM is the goods

After a lot of never ending BS with getting stocks of the intake built - supposedly we should have some by the 10th December
Tradewind

Postby THERB3 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:39 pm

Count me in Tim
MY05 Subaru Liberty Wagon 3.0RB Silver 6MT

Modifications:
19" Rays/Volk GT30 Wheels :: Hi Tech Mufflers :: HKS Panel Filter :: STi Front Lip :: 6000K HID Driving/Fog Lights :: LED Parkers/Licence/Map/Dome :: Brembo Package :: V-Tune :: Tein Flex Coilovers & EDFC Controller :: HKC Carbon Bonnet Scoop :: Hanabi Smoked LED Rear Tail Lights :: Eyelids :: Goodridge Braided Lines :: JDM Front Bar :: Corazon Grille :: Pioneer AVH-X8650BT / Alpine PDX5 Amp

Current Plans:
Whiteline SwayBars ::
THERB3
-stickered-

Car: MY05 Subaru Liberty 3.0RB Wagon

Postby west_minist » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:57 pm

Out of curiosity, how was that tq achieve on a stock engine?

I assume the pressure stated is intake vacuum?
west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

Postby 666 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:02 am

west_minist wrote:Out of curiosity, how was that tq achieve on a stock engine?

I assume the pressure stated is intake vacuum?

Not sure how that torque figure was obtained but I can say that it does pull better than stock but not as high that figure. Response and driveability are greatly improved, especially above 3800rpm.

Well another couple of weeks have gone by and the fuel ecomomy has improved a little. Last tank gave an average of 10.4L/100Klms which is better than the first couple after the tune. Matt (Kido) says that the low fuel level in the cars tank during the dyno tune affected his ability to tune the car properly due to the varying fuel pressure, he has looked at my current AF ratios and says he can improve on them next time he comes to Sydney. Not too concerned in a little more fuel use but over 1 L/100Klms for such a small gain in power is too much in my book.

NA engines are hard work to get any power and torque increases from, if you really want to get more you need to supercharge or turbo the engine and that costs. Remember the old saying "Speed costs, how fast do you want to go?"

Rob

Postby west_minist » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:20 am

Ok. I understand you. Once you are happy, that is great.
West_Minist

Subaru Diagnostics & Logging Reviewer
Subaru Expert Tuner
http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum
info@xtremeracingtuning.com

Facebook

Viciously Tuned, Driven Hard
west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

PreviousNext

Return to Raptor Superchargers