4GEN Liberty/Legacy - RAM INTAKE SYSTEM

CAI Options select your choice

Poll ended at Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:03 pm

1. Stay with my stock air box/intake system and maybe add a K&N or similar replacement performance filter
11%
2. A fancy mandrel bent polished 3" pipe with MAF mount (power benefit unknown and possibly very loud) - look sexy - Price range $280 - $350
6%
3. Advanced dyno proven intake system with tapered air guide to MAF, dual layer air filter (material not decided on yet), 10kw (Proven) gain at wheels - emits amazing Porsche H6 induction sounds (proven) Price range $340 - $480
83%

Total votes : 35

Re: Raptor Performance CAI - You decide

Postby 3rspecb » Wed May 22, 2013 8:06 am

Great work Tim. Love it how the H6 rev's out so freely. Is your redline still at 7300rpm ?
MY06 3rspecb manual sedan, Urban Grey- Shockworks Coilovers '- Gone

MY17 SSv Redline, manual sedan, White.
3rspecb

Car: MY17 SSv Redline

Postby Tradewind » Wed May 22, 2013 8:17 am

The missus is taking car to work today, as she does everyday but with intake now fitted and V1A tune flashed

Her feedback is always critical to product development, if its not better she will say so, same with extractors, you MUST be able to know its better or its not good enough
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby MH3.0R » Wed May 22, 2013 8:25 am

Tradewind wrote:The missus is taking car to work today, as she does everyday but with intake now fitted and V1A tune flashed

Her feedback is always critical to product development, if its not better she will say so, same with extractors, you MUST be able to know its better or its not good enough

I like your Mrs! :lol: Was she ever married to the Stig?
MY15 Jaguar XFR-S 5.0 V8 SC 8AT White Saloon (Stock - nothing more to do with 400+ KW :))
MY11 Jaguar XFS 3.0DTT 6AT White Saloon (Prepped for sale)
MY19 Subaru XV 2.0iS the shopping trolley and weekend all terrain cruiser!
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12969#p176433

Postby Tradewind » Wed May 22, 2013 11:41 am

My Love is pretty handy, only comment from todays run was she felt it had a stronger power surge at 3800rpm - I suggest this links with the AVCS phasing into its high lift mode. The vehicle would normally phase in there but the strength of the power surge was improved she thought

Road was busy as well, just calm driving
Tradewind

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed May 22, 2013 2:52 pm

NA tuning is all about intake velocity being high enough to maximise volumetric efficiency, an intake restriction will lower airflow speed.

A turbo is just forced to suck harder and thus self scavenges with an intake restriction. Turbo cars can shift their powerband slightly based on the length of inlet tract from turbo to airfilter though
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby SegR » Wed May 22, 2013 5:26 pm

Good information.
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Postby PUDZ RSC3.0RB » Thu May 23, 2013 10:59 am

Hi Tim

Great work so far and good luck with further development. My vote is in mate %' are getting higher.

Eagerly waiting for my headers to arrive.

Grant - Coffs
PUDZ RSC3.0RB

Car: 05 Liberty Trolly
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22581

Postby alexeiwoody » Thu May 23, 2013 12:27 pm

Thanks for the info guys, just like the size of the plenum shifts the powerband on n/a cars....

Goodluck Tim :)
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby Tradewind » Thu May 23, 2013 9:39 pm

Have been driving the vehicle a few k each day to more fully grasp the changes and also any benefit from ECU learning.

The effect - like you give the car wings, incredibly effortless from 4krpm, the power delivery doesn't have the fall you get from the stock torque curve - just goes and goes.

The lady hasn't pushed at all (morning traffic and crook with flu).only comment so far is the urge at 4krpm is more noticeable than normal. That's good, means low end, smoothness and drivability are the same or better than stock.

Have to make more power pulls again soon and check how the performance is being maintained
Tradewind

Postby SubMeister » Fri May 24, 2013 10:39 am

@Tradewind

This is looking promising. But what exhaust do you run in your daily driver / test vehicle after the headers? Do you still have all three stock cats and stock cat back? Just trying to contextualise the gains you are making to see if they would apply to a stock set up...
SubMeister

Car: H6 Spec B MY09

Postby Tradewind » Fri May 24, 2013 10:46 am

SubMeister wrote:@Tradewind

This is looking promising. But what exhaust do you run in your daily driver / test vehicle after the headers? Do you still have all three stock cats and stock cat back? Just trying to contextualise the gains you are making to see if they would apply to a stock set up...

Yes I do have - all three Subaru stock cats and stock Subaru cat back (everything is factory issue - 2006 vintage)

The Raptor headers are the only extra in this equation - which have been on the car since the day they completed prototype testing
Tradewind

Postby illuzn » Fri May 24, 2013 6:11 pm

Looking at the graphs and for the non-tech heads out there.

The basics of what you are saying is that the stock intake runs out of puff in the 5,000 to 7,000 rpm range. You reduce this limitation by decreasing the pressure drop that occurs in the intake?

The unanswered issue is what happens below 4,000 rpm because you had to launch the car from lower rpm with the new intake?
illuzn

Car: 2007 Liberty 3.0R Premium

Postby Tradewind » Fri May 24, 2013 6:39 pm

illuzn wrote:Looking at the graphs and for the non-tech heads out there.

The basics of what you are saying is that the stock intake runs out of puff in the 5,000 to 7,000 rpm range. You reduce this limitation by decreasing the pressure drop that occurs in the intake?

The unanswered issue is what happens below 4,000 rpm because you had to launch the car from lower rpm with the new intake?

illuzn

You answered it yourself there actually

The air pressure in the plenum from 750 rpm - 3800 rpm isnt greatly different between stock and ram tube, therefore the performance is similar also, as the rpm increase the RAM TUBE delivers consistently higher air pressure in the manifold, thereby improving cylinder filling

This system still uses the large black air chamber that bolts to the throttle body in the stock form, I consider this piece essential to the correct filling/pressure balance of the plenum area. All we are doing is filling that chamber to a higher air pressure at mid to high rpm, at mid and lower its pressure is similar enough

Recent logging/mapping of other H6 Libertys is showing the air pressure drop as measured on the Raptor car (in stock form) is representative of any other H6 with standard intake pipe and airfilter - therefore the gains should be consistent also.
Tradewind

Postby Tradewind » Sat May 25, 2013 7:22 am

Yesterday more logging took place with the V1a tune and the CAI RAM TUBE in place.

The difference was I added the original OTR air intake so it ducted some cooler air to the pod I have in place on the RAM TUBE and there was 3 days of driving time into the ECU. This gives the ECU a chance to refine fuel trims or whatever else it does

The results are even more staggering but not in total power. Max power is identical to previous runs - it will take a new tune (which is waiting be tested) to find out what top end power is left to gain - if any

The new results show an awesome gain in the low end, right from the word go, it recover the deficit shown in the first charts and then added some - will have to wait for chart with the correct overlay to show you all. That will be later today I believe

I have just come back from taking the Liberty for a totally full throttle blast around the block, i wanted to experience what was there and what the power testing is showing - and its like WOW, is it really this GOOD?! I did easily achieve a new high speed for this car quite easily, mine doesnt get much of a chance for top speed as I only have a short run to test it, in the past 225 was about it on my short run, I killed 235 today, maybe it was just having a really good day. That said, its never had a day this good before!
Tradewind

Postby alexeiwoody » Sat May 25, 2013 10:48 pm

Sounds like you're having fun too :lol:
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

PreviousNext

Return to Raptor Superchargers