Outback 3.0 w/ single port heads - SUPERCHARGED

Re: Outback 3.0 w/ single port heads - getting supercharged

Postby Tradewind » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:35 pm

I recall, I was offered a high flow injector just last week (by my supplier) that was approx 5mm longer than the blue one - which would have been perfect for you. The things that
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby CarDoc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:05 pm

There are no problems, only solutions.

But I'll tell you what, those injectors were about kicking my arse. I got all 6 in and turned on the key and one was leaking. The upper o-ring rolled on me. Changed that one and one on the pass side leaking at the top. BASHTARD.

Turned out I had to tweak with 2 sleeves and one bracket leg. Both were causing the rail to tip. I did have to shave off the injector plugs at an angle. I didn't get a pic of this though. I will try to remember tomorrow. What I did was cut at an angle with a dremmel off the top of the plug so it will mate with the injector as the pvc pipe changed the dimensions of the "injector assembly".

I did get a pic of one rail mounted on the engine.

After making sure all the leaks were taken care of, I cranked it. Surprisingly, it ran smooth. Couldn't tell if it was running rich or not from the smell because I was still smelling gas from the leaks. So I shut it off, installed the intake tube with BOV, connected my laptop to the car and started up the RomRaider Logger.

WOW. Even with the larger injector, at idle the computer adjusted well.

When the video is completely uploaded to YouTube, I will post it here.

Ed has sent me 2 different ROM updates which I will reflash tomorrow and run test logs.

As it is right now, it sounds REALLY GREAT with everything hooked up. No the BOV is not loud.
Attachments
SC 138a.png
Battery side rail. I almost put driver side. LOL.
SC 138a.png (255.91 KiB) Viewed 4289 times
Subaru...Fun when driven.....FAST
CarDoc

Car: 01 Supercharged Outback VDC
Profile URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKEWATE0i-E

Postby AB501UT!0N » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:18 pm

Tradewind wrote:Is this PERFECTION or what??

Sweet sweet H6 Intercooled

Wow thats one engine bay and If I every supercharge my lib Im going to have the same problem with the ABS :(

Awesome write up, Thanks for sharing :D
jakey wrote:.... goshgollywingwong

Jack_Keaka wrote:the process of chris getting his parts as follows: :yahoo: :mrgreen: :? :close_tema: :shock: :( :cry: :angry2: :skull:
AB501UT!0N

Car: Subaru Liberty Heritage 2000

Postby Tradewind » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:04 am

AB501UT!0N wrote:

Wow thats one engine bay and If I every supercharge my lib Im going to have the same problem with the ABS :(

If you have a 4cyl there is a direct bolt on system, ABS is no issue on 4 Cyl 3rd Gen Liberty, only issues are with 6 Cyl

The car that is the subject of this thread has a 6 Cyl engine
Tradewind

Postby AB501UT!0N » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:35 pm

Tradewind wrote:
AB501UT!0N wrote:

If you have a 4cyl there is a direct bolt on system, ABS is no issue on 4 Cyl 3rd Gen Liberty, only issues are with 6 Cyl

The car that is the subject of this thread has a 6 Cyl engine

Interesting, how much does a setup for a 4cyl Gen 3 set someone back?
jakey wrote:.... goshgollywingwong

Jack_Keaka wrote:the process of chris getting his parts as follows: :yahoo: :mrgreen: :? :close_tema: :shock: :( :cry: :angry2: :skull:
AB501UT!0N

Car: Subaru Liberty Heritage 2000

Postby CarDoc » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:01 pm

Today was really good. Rechecked all the connections, got the pumps and cooler lines secured, quad checked the fuel rail and lines to insure there were zero leaks and pressure was normal. I will remanufacture better rails at a later date and toss the modified ones.

Reflashed the ROM with 2 different programs sent by Ed at XRT. The first was to change the flow to match the WRX injectors, the second, latency.

The car fired right up after both and the data was fair looking. It's still running rich, but lower rpm is maintaining stoich above 13.5ish to 14.7 with normal fluctuations as the ECM learns. The throttle reaction in park/neutral is excellent without a load and the engine doesn't miss a beat. While the car was warming up, I kept track of the SC temperature and flow of the coolers, all good. After logging some data for Ed, I decided it was time to hit our short track. Its really an old black top still in good condition that runs next to the shop and a bit short of 1/4 mile but less than track length.

I could only get it upto 75mph before having to slow down for the end of the road. It ran 0-100kph (62mph) in 9.5, running rich the whole way with wide open throttle. On the way back, I shifted manually and got it to 6800 rpm before hitting 2nd with slightly faster reading. Rich but no hitch.

The VDC programming is effecting the initial launch. There is a delay in "take off". Every time I launched, I heard a tire chirp, then delay, then throw back in the seat. No detonation, no surging, air temp remains low, knock retard stays under -2.5 and the transmission reacts well with exception of the shift rpm programmed in the module. On the way to work in the am, I will log cruise data and accelerations.

So, as with any upgrade, tuning is necessary and will continue until it is perfected. Yes, without a Dyno. I don't drive daily on a Dyno so why tune the car on a Dyno?

I drove it to the cruise in tonight, minus bumpers, (I wanted to drive it with them off so I can see the hoses and connections easier. All this will be covered by the bumper skin when I remount them), since all the mechanical under the hood is complete. People that can't get by the shop were curious about the progress and besides, plenty of uncompleted cars/trucks come down all the time. We like it like that. Its like live pics. It was a conversation piece with plenty of questions. Besides, I got tired of getting beat up on the commute driving the lowered Cavalier on the city streets, (its great on the highway, its the rough city roads that beat you up).

On the 30 mile drive home with mix of city and highway, it ran smooth whistling evenly at cruise and acceleration was great. All temps remained low and no issues at all. It even remained in TCC lockup on upgrades with the cruise control set that it would normally have downshifted. I even checked the SC temperature when I parked and it was around 100F. The MIL did come on halfway, so when I got home I checked it. Too rich. I could smell the CATS burning, so tomorrow, along with the bung installation for the widebands and EGT, 2 new high flow cats will be welded in. And, there is a shop here in Austin that I believe can custom build a set of headers I am going to look into. Breath in, breath out.

Pics are everything in place under the hood, HORNS are on, and mounting of toggle switches for the pumps and fan with individual fused links. They are on their own circuit. Ignore the zip ties on the small cooler, a lock tab popped off earlier when I closed the hood to check clearance of the SC's reservoir, the chrome one next to the engine radiator on the right side of the car. I am getting some cable ties to remedy that tomorrow. It was too late in the day to get any, so zip ties were my option to make sure it didn't move out of place. The darker pics, at the cruise in at Twin Peaks in Round Rock.
Attachments
SC 147.JPG
SC 147.JPG (123.33 KiB) Viewed 4266 times
SC 143a.jpg
SC 143a.jpg (177.06 KiB) Viewed 4266 times
SC 141a.jpg
SC 141a.jpg (125.04 KiB) Viewed 4266 times
SC 140a.jpg
SC 140a.jpg (152.31 KiB) Viewed 4266 times
CarDoc

Postby valadares » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:59 pm

Respect OUTBACK power ,and your project again

where did you put the SC's water pump ?
valadares

Car: OUTBACK MY'08 H6 RAPTOR Subarcharged

Postby CarDoc » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:22 am

valadares wrote:Respect OUTBACK power ,and your project again

where did you put the SC's water pump ?

Both pumps, one for the SC and one for the WTA are mounted at the center of the bumper. The pump for the cooler is attached to the center rail for the hood latch next to the cooler's radiator, and the other for the SC is mounted to the bumper itself. All the hoses fit in behind the bumper without restrictions. The reservoir for the SC is mounted next to the radiator proper behind the headlamp. Its the chrome capped bottle in the photo. The bottom outlet feeds to the top of the reservoir, then out the bottom of the res to the smaller cooler via wrap around the inner fender, then to the pump. Out of the pump the hose runs the length of the bumper, loops back and runs to the top of the SC. I wanted to keep the hoses outside the engine bay as much as possible. After taking some readings on the SC body of the temperature, I am going to enlarge the SC radiator and work out increased air flow for both radiators. As it is, with the AC on, the two OE fans pull a lot of air and the smaller fan is pushing keeping the intake temp below 115F and the SC after cruising gets to 100-105F.

On another issue: Fuel Pump time. I lose flow after 5800 and bank 2 gets lean. I thought the OE pump could supply enough as its rated good, but, its either too worn, only 30k on it, or it just can't keep up the flow. So, a DeatchWerks should arrive Tue or Wed.

The exhaust was supposed to be done today, but no CATS. The supplier goofed on delivery. So tomorrow. I am installing all new from the downpipe to the bumper with 2 CATs rated for 6.2L each and losing the 3rd CAT, resonators and old muffler. Then I will get the sensors in and wiring to the gauges and remote connection for the laptop.
CarDoc

Postby CarDoc » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:33 am

The exhaust is done. I didn't go all out on an axle back. I wanted it to remain low toned.

The sensors will be mounted and plumbed up for the OT-2 and gauges tomorrow.

Sounds good at idle. I expect it to have a good rumble on acceleration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUrY4SbDfRw
Attachments
Pipes3a.jpg
Pipes3a.jpg (224.1 KiB) Viewed 4239 times
Pipes2a.jpg
Pipes2a.jpg (208.88 KiB) Viewed 4239 times
Pipes1a.jpg
Pipes1a.jpg (139.11 KiB) Viewed 4239 times
B2Bungs_a.jpg
B2Bungs_a.jpg (168.79 KiB) Viewed 4239 times
B1Bungs_a.jpg
B1Bungs_a.jpg (157.38 KiB) Viewed 4239 times
CarDoc

Postby Tradewind » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:25 pm

Cardoc

Did you do the exhaust stuff yourself? That will flow nicely for this excercise, no need for anything better with the single port

Also what would be the part number of that WIX filter or the Purolator equivilent ......... thanks in advance
Tradewind

Postby CarDoc » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:47 am

Video of 0-140 is up:

Look at the time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv6iatxR ... el&list=UL
CarDoc

Postby CarDoc » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:48 am

Tradewind wrote:Cardoc

Did you do the exhaust stuff yourself? That will flow nicely for this excercise, no need for anything better with the single port

Also what would be the part number of that WIX filter or the Purolator equivilent ......... thanks in advance

A friend's shop.

WIX 51334
CarDoc

Postby Tradewind » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:31 am

Cardoc

Have reviewed you video and sent you information about pulley for your charger. Due to the more limited RPM range of the H6 model in your engine I have suggested a much different pulley for the supercharger - may need a different length drive belt. Your engine is a good 800rpm less than ours at your redline.

With the suggested pulley it will feel really strong much much sooner in the RPM range - increasing your VDC problem lol
Tradewind

Postby CarDoc » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:10 pm

Tradewind wrote:Cardoc

Have reviewed you video and sent you information about pulley for your charger. Due to the more limited RPM range of the H6 model in your engine I have suggested a much different pulley for the supercharger - may need a different length drive belt. Your engine is a good 800rpm less than ours at your redline.

With the suggested pulley it will feel really strong much much sooner in the RPM range - increasing your VDC problem lol

That's funny!!!! NOT. You're quite the comedian. You may have missed your calling. :lol:
CarDoc

Postby CarDoc » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:08 pm

For Amusement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxIS7nI-Gx4

And a launch. The ROM has since been updated since this was taken this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixNH09RAyKg
CarDoc

PreviousNext

Return to Raptor Superchargers