Outback 3.0 w/ single port heads - SUPERCHARGED

Re: Outback 3.0 w/ single port heads - getting supercharged

Postby Tradewind » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:25 pm

The fellow scored himself a very unique charger. He wanted watercooling option with clutch option which he got, but also the Ultra lightweight internals - the first of its kind. G is the only other person with a charger w/UL internals and its on his Lib.
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby SH30RB » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:29 pm

ultra lightweight internals? care to explain? :D
TEAM FUNERAL HEARSE!
Only slightly modified, I swear!
SH30RB
-stickered-

Car: 05 Liberty 3.0R-B wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14766

Postby Tradewind » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:21 pm

Continue to follow ALL the action at this weblink

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110 ... r-vdc.html
Tradewind

Postby valadares » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:13 am

it will be better to install AT transmission cooler and disable cooling from stockRAD(it is so small). :not_i:

why there is 2 coolers-one black and one silver?
valadares

Car: OUTBACK MY'08 H6 RAPTOR Subarcharged

Postby Tradewind » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:13 am

The Black cooler is likely to the AT and he new silver cooler is the radiator for the WTA intercooler system
Tradewind

Postby Tradewind » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:53 am

Is this PERFECTION or what??

Sweet sweet H6 Intercooled
Attachments
SC 132 (resized).jpg
SC 132 (resized).jpg (95.81 KiB) Viewed 4425 times
SC 131 (resized).jpg
SC 131 (resized).jpg (115.06 KiB) Viewed 4425 times
Tradewind

Postby CarDoc » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:30 pm

Hello All.

I am the crazy American blowing a single port 3.0.

The black cooler is the transmission cooler. It was added after the transmission was rebuilt about 18k miles ago or 29k kilometers. The big silver one is the core for the WTA mounted on the throttle body. Another oil cooler is being used to cool the SC coolant separate from the inter cooler. I will be using "Water Wetter" with distilled water mix for coolant.

I have the air temp sensor bunged into the WTA body on the bottom side just before the TB. I am going to run the power for the two pumps and the fans via toggle switches inside the car. This way, I don't have to draw from existing circuits and each will be fused independently.

I have posted all the pics I have thus far on the forum a few clicks up. I posted today's work this evening.

And yes, I have a tendency to perfection. :D
Subaru...Fun when driven.....FAST
CarDoc

Car: 01 Supercharged Outback VDC
Profile URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKEWATE0i-E

Postby Tradewind » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:37 pm

Welcome champ!

I really am taken by the colouring of the engine cover/matching intercooler as well

With Airtemp sensor, simply drill out and retap the threaded fitting in your intercooler on the front side - guessing you have already done this

You may have just discovered by reading this thread that your charger is even more special model that what you thought you had :)
Tradewind

Postby CarDoc » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:31 pm

I have had it in the back of my mind researching this that this may be a first run. No one, and I mean no one wanted to give up any info. Remember your first e-mail reply to me? :D Good thing I'm persistent. I never give up easily, and there hasn't been a car made yet that has beat me.

I had been crunching numbers and configuring a build for a while. I was first going to turbo my 99 OBW, but that would've been more work. When I saw the VDC for sale, I started over. I still have less in this car than the cost of a new one, or even a newer used car. Now its a New Used Car. :lol:

Just got a mail from XRT that he has a reflash available for me to load after I install the new injectors. Cross your fingers!!!!!!! Knock on wood, kick some tires, keep the grease under your nails.

I'll post tomorrow the outcome as long as I have time in the shop to swap injectors.
CarDoc

Postby Tradewind » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:23 pm

CarDoc wrote:I have had it in the back of my mind researching this that this may be a first run. No one, and I mean no one wanted to give up any info. Remember your first e-mail reply to me? :D Good thing I'm persistent.

Haha, I gave you the only information I should ever give to someone when I KNOW the kit is not a direct fit. Sir, it doesnt fit your model is what you got told lol. The reason is I dont need anymore enemies in this world than I already have :lol: :lol:

The reasons that I told you as to why it wouldnt fit are all things you have addressed - making the way open for the hardware to fit

You are doing a magificent job champ, love the American enginuity we are seeing here
Tradewind

Postby Tradewind » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:25 pm

Just got a mail from XRT that he has a reflash available for me to load after I install the new injectors. Cross your fingers!!!!!!! Knock on wood, kick some tires, keep the grease under your nails.

Ed never ceases to amaze me. One or 2 posters in the international Legacy forum are going to possibly eat their words too if this reflash tune comes off :)
Tradewind

Postby Tradewind » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:18 am

So, our friend finds his car has weird injectors - no problem - he makes a small part or 2 to adapt the new style Subaru injector

Check out the weird green things with the huge lip on it. The BLUE WRX injectors are slightly shorter as well
Attachments
photo injectors.JPG
photo injectors.JPG (38.29 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
Tradewind

Postby CarDoc » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:20 pm

What a day. So much for putting anyone else off.

What should have taken an hour turned into I am not done yet. The 410 injectors were 8mm shorter than the stock. The stock injector has a lip at the base for assisting with sealing the dust seal between the inj and head. The 410s didn't have this.

I talked to numerous companies in TX and other states about resizing the injectors. NOPE. Not Denso. Won't touch 'em. I have some Honda injectors that may work. These were the answers I got. Even Fuel Injector Connection said he couldn't resize the Densos. (I may experiment with these later. If it can be done with Bosch and others, why not Denso?)

So, after brainstorming, I came up with an idea, but every time I started to work on it, someone came in looking for me. Some to see the progress, others had issue with their cars.

I got a 4' section of 160 psi sharktank pvc pipe that slipped over the new injector perfect. You'll see where I'm going. I also picked up some 16mm flat washers. I ended up not needing these. Might use them later. So $4.97 to Home Depot and I was back to the shop.

I measured the new injector and cut one test piece the length of the body. I also cut into the side of the pvc to allow for the injector plug to rest between. I swapped all the nozzle adapters, new seals came with the injectors. The idea was to use the pvc to seal the lower dust seal at the head. It works. See the pics. The green one is the OE 285cc and that's the removable nozzle adapter that has been transferred to the blue 410cc.

Also, I had to modify the rail. At first I trimmed it down 5mm by cutting down the bracket and rewelding it. It is really difficult measuring in a tight spot with the engine in the car. That's how I found out its 8mm, not 5. That injector just wasn't going to go in.

I cut the bases off again, cleaned up the cuts and used some of the 1" strap I had left from the other brackets to make new brackets for the rail. I have them cut, bent, drilled and marked for the weld. Tomorrow I will weld it all together and it should make for a snug fitting rail with injectors.

Then, I'll let Ed know I'm ready for the new ROM.
CarDoc

Postby CarDoc » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:30 pm

Try this photo thing again.
Attachments
SC 136a.jpg
SC 136a.jpg (25.39 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
CarDoc

Postby Tradewind » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:34 pm

You are definitely the tenacious modifier lol

This will soon be running I feel. Ed has done plenty work with the Blue injector, the ROM should get you started and running
Tradewind

PreviousNext

Return to Raptor Superchargers