Outback 3.0 w/ single port heads - SUPERCHARGED

Re: Outback 3.0 w/ single port heads - SUPERCHARGED

Postby CarDoc » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:48 pm

Update.

This last week, I overhauled the SC, built a new intake tube and took it to HIN Houston. Here's some pics and a link to a video walk around as it appears now.

Walk Around Video: SubarCharged @ HIN Houston

I'm also working with someone that seems to have figured out how to rewrite the MAP sensor voltages to match a WRX MAP sensor that I will install once the base ROM is written. I'll post up when its for certain. If he's right, it means more power output. 8)
Subaru...Fun when driven.....FAST
CarDoc

Car: 01 Supercharged Outback VDC
Profile URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKEWATE0i-E

Postby mreynolds93 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:58 pm

[DELETED]
Last edited by mreynolds93 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
mreynolds93

Car: 2002 Outback VDC H6

Postby CarDoc » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:51 pm

Stand alone won't work. The Hydra and others will not control the transmission proper. If its a manual, Hydra. Auto, OEM ECM. I am working with Fast Performance Tuning now to rewrite the ROM with new MAP sensor voltage scaling. As soon as I have a ROM with the new scaling, I'll install a WRX MAP and we start the tune again. With a new MAP scale comes better fuel control and it should provide an increase in the power band as well as reduction in the chances of detonation. It has been running good. It can run better. I believe the car will put upward to 300-350 WHP. What makes it really cool is the package its in. 8)

With the VDC off, the ABS still works. The only loss is traction control and the system can't slow the car down when I take it to the strip or go to pass someone. :D The VDC is software that combines engine, transmission and ABS systems to control the car in skids, traction loss and panic stops. It uses engine sensors, speed sensors, yaw rate sensor and steering position to determine what you are doing. If you are on the brake, it takes that into account. The VDC software will reduce engine torque, apply brakes, shift the transmission, control TCC lockup and fuel/timing to keep the car planted and in control, regardless of what your reaction may be. Without it, its like any other Outback without VDC, only with more power.

Even with the VDC off, on the back roads around here that are loaded with curves and hills, at times both at the same time, the car hugs the road. This link shows a map of a run I made a couple weeks ago. I don't get much time to hit the curves, mostly straight highway. Sleeper VDC Post 345 . I also found out about a road track just 35 miles south of me, Harris Hills Raceway. Looks to be a bugger. I don't know about the membership fee, though. Maybe later. Harris Hill Raceway
CarDoc

Postby mreynolds93 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:37 pm

[DELETED]
mreynolds93

Postby CarDoc » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:24 am

I log, I reflash what the tuner sends. I stay so busy with the shop, I leave the ROM to the tuner.

ABS control module is fuse 8. Fuse 18 powers both in conjunction with the Cruise switch, fan relays, B/U lights, Inhibitor switch, CC module, Wiper deicer and Power Windows. Then you have the 50 amp fuse for the ABS in the relay box. Components in pics. So, according to the electrical diagram, the VDC cannot be deactivated on your model above 60 km/h. Internal of the VDCCM, it disconnects the ground automatically. So I would say that when you pull the fuse to disable the VDC, you are also disabling the ABS. I guess I'm the lucky one. My ABS works when I disable the VDC with the fuse insertion into the FWD slot of my relay box. My model is the first year production and does not have a switch.

VDC Diagram.gif
VDC Diagram.gif (62.48 KiB) Viewed 4210 times

VDC Diagram 2.gif
VDC Diagram 2.gif (79.56 KiB) Viewed 4210 times
CarDoc

Postby mreynolds93 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:45 am

[DELETED]
mreynolds93

Postby west_minist » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:56 am

Its by ign.
west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

Postby CarDoc » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:57 am

No. Won't hurt it a bit. It cuts timing the same way as with any WRX, XT or STI.
CarDoc

Postby CarDoc » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:38 am

WAKE UP TIM. ITS ON.

WRX MAP sensor and DeatschWerks 650 cc injectors. I got a copy of ECUFlash from Fast Performance Tuning that will read my ROM and I edited the SSM scaling and offset to achieve the proper math for the ECM to compare to the BARO. I kept getting a P1112 since installing the WRX sensor last week. Car ran, no more lean out with the ROM revisions we did, but I can't have any codes on the car. After spending a couple hours out in the parking lot at my apartment last night with math, revisions, flash, that doesn't add up, WTF?, do it again, got it to 14.36 Absolute and 0.0 Relative and called it quits before it started raining. (I had an extension cord and my laptop outside on the hood)

Drove it today. When I first got in the car this morning, I checked for temporary codes with FreeSSM. P1112 pops up. Cleared, KOEO it pops up again. I'm like WTF?? Numbers match, everything looks right on RR and the BARO is reading correctly from the ECM. Took off with it anyway.

After about 20 miles, no MIL. Ran a couple errands while out and continuously watching the RR. After about 50 miles and 8 ignition cycles, all monitors are set except EVAP and no codes. None. Not even temporary.

Can't program the car?? Watch us. :biggrin:

Here's a vid.

CarDoc

Postby Tradewind » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:01 am

You guys sure are determined ............ and successful!!

The "can't tune it" ECU myth for this car is busted, well and truly.

Is the tuning complete or more to dig into now?
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby CarDoc » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:14 am

This is a new beginning. We're starting from the bottom again but now the ECM is seeing proper pressure and fuel/ignition can be properly tuned based on the MAP sensor. I sent the revised ROM back to Ed at FPT and I haven't heard back from him yet.

Can you say MILESTONE? We just opened a door to whole new group of owners. Gotta let Dave know before he puts his sedan together.
CarDoc

Postby Tradewind » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:50 am

CarDoc wrote:This is a new beginning. We're starting from the bottom again but now the ECM is seeing proper pressure and fuel/ignition can be properly tuned based on the MAP sensor. I sent the revised ROM back to Ed at FPT and I haven't heard back from him yet.

Can you say MILESTONE? We just opened a door to whole new group of owners. Gotta let Dave know before he puts his sedan together.

MILESTONE - now that ECU completely capable to do the job. Is the same ECU used on any other model of Subaru?

Yes Dave needs to know NOW - send him an email if you could please
Tradewind

Postby CarDoc » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:55 am

All Gen 2 Outbacks, Legacys and Imprezas that are NA use speed density.
CarDoc

Postby Tradewind » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:38 am

CarDoc wrote:All Gen 2 Outbacks, Legacys and Imprezas that are NA use speed density.

That have DENSO ECU.
Tradewind

Postby CarDoc » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:57 am

Every USDM 1999 to 2004 that is not boosted uses the Denso ECM and runs speed density maps. JDM uses Denso, so I don't see why all Subaru markets wouldn't have them.

Anyone without a Denso stock ECM?
CarDoc

PreviousNext

Return to Raptor Superchargers