The Raptor Liberty - Life and times

Re: The Raptor Liberty - Life and times

Postby Out6ack » Thu May 29, 2014 8:36 am

I feel your pain mate.
Head gasket issues just cost me $3500. :x
Got juuust enough left in the piggy bank for a CAI. :mrgreen:
User avatar
Out6ack
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Newcastle
Car: 05 Outback 3.0 Premium.
Real name: Jay

Re: The Raptor Liberty - Life and times

Postby Tradewind » Thu May 29, 2014 9:13 am

Yours done already? Exchange motor or repair of own?

Mine is gasket and machining - pretty much all labour
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: Gordonvale Qld
Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF
Real name: Tim

Re: The Raptor Liberty - Life and times

Postby Out6ack » Thu May 29, 2014 9:47 am

Exchanged Tim. Crew down at Subguru in Sydney sourced an EZ30 with only 32K k's.
They did the remove/replace in a day while I got a train to the city & played tourist.. :P
Tho I'm still in the habit of watching the temp gauge more than the speedo when I'm up it!
Looking forward to finally getting it tuned to its potential now it's got a healthy heart. Just waiting on ur latest creation before we begin. 8)
User avatar
Out6ack
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Newcastle
Car: 05 Outback 3.0 Premium.
Real name: Jay

Re: The Raptor Liberty - Life and times

Postby Tradewind » Sat May 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Motor was out of car in 45 mins they said

Within 3 hrs from start the cylinder heads were at machine shop for resurfacing.

Haven't had a decent look yet but its certainly not OBVIOUS where the leak/s occur at the gasket. Will enquire more with the machine shop to know how much the cylinder head surface was out of spec, if at all. Maybe Subaru's gaskets are poo, I will try to understand what the story is

Should have car back maybe Tuesday, mech is a former Subaru factory trained Mechanic
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: Gordonvale Qld
Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF
Real name: Tim

Re: The Raptor Liberty - Life and times

Postby Tradewind » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:30 am

All done

$2210.00

Going well
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: Gordonvale Qld
Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF
Real name: Tim

Re: The Raptor Liberty - Life and times

Postby Out6ack » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:46 am

Tradewind wrote:but its certainly not OBVIOUS where the leak/s occur at the gasket. Will enquire more with the machine shop to know how much the cylinder head surface was out of spec, if at all. Maybe Subaru's gaskets are poo, I will try to understand what the story is


Wow, $2200, gotta be happy with that.
Did you find out more on the above?
User avatar
Out6ack
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:46 pm
Location: Newcastle
Car: 05 Outback 3.0 Premium.
Real name: Jay

Re: The Raptor Liberty - Life and times

Postby Tradewind » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:15 am

Gave the car a bit of a workout this morning

Everything VERY peachy, more low end punch when you got all the gasses in their right location instead of going into radiator.

There were 17hrs of labour on the invoice - I couldnt work out where he spent that much time on it, I have a pretty good idea of his starts and finishes on the job and nothing like that many hrs. But all power to him, it still looks very reasonable to me and he does well, we are both winning.

I provided the Victor Reinz gasket set and the engine coolant, had both on hand, could have supplied oil etc but hardly worth it. Thats about $230 extra

So all up about $2500 you would say.

In on a Thursday, back the following Friday, only hold up was some coolant hoses coming from Subaru - 2 day wait. All the hard to get at hoses have been replace with genuine hoses - in fact ALL coolant hoses.

Very pleased
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: Gordonvale Qld
Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF
Real name: Tim

Re: The Raptor Liberty - Life and times

Postby Tradewind » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:17 am

The fault

She was choofing gasses from the cylinder (just 1) directly into the coolant, but a .004" cut on the cylinder heads cleaned up the defect/leak area.
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: Gordonvale Qld
Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF
Real name: Tim

Re: The Raptor Liberty - Life and times

Postby 666 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:57 am

Tradewind wrote:The fault

She was choofing gasses from the cylinder (just 1) directly into the coolant, but a .004" cut on the cylinder heads cleaned up the defect/leak area.


Great to hear your back in the drivers seat Tim. Only a minor shave needed so good news there, $2200 is not too bad for that sort of work.

By the way the new Raptor website looks great!

Rob.
666
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 10:21 am
Car: Spec.B
Real name: Rob

Re: The Raptor Liberty - Life and times

Postby Tradewind » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:47 am

Rob

Thanks for that, on he website! Its certainly needing some changes but over the next 14 days it should be finished

$2200 was a good price - then a few days later the ph rings - hey we forgot to add the bill from the engine machine shop ....... another $490, yikes
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: Gordonvale Qld
Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF
Real name: Tim

Re: The Raptor Liberty - Life and times

Postby RX25SE » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:36 am

Glad to hear you are happy with it Tim.

Pity about the extra bill, that's one hell of an oversight. If it were me I would pass on the bill at cost only in an effort to retain some customer service.


With regards to the head gaskets, I'm wondering if re-tensioning the head bolts at some point early in the engine's life would prevent this?

I do remember reading somewhere that the factory tune may also be responsible, due to the detonation. Is there any information to confirm this?
User avatar
RX25SE
 
Posts: 724
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:43 am
Location: Melbourne
Car: MY02 RX Sed SpcEd; MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Re: The Raptor Liberty - Life and times

Postby jakey » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:36 am

Tim - you've previously recommended the Victor Reinz HG kit for a h6 fix. Is this the same car you've replaced the HG on again?

I believe the quote was something like 'do it once, do it right' (in reference to using VR HG kit). Are you now going against this claim?
-Jakey-UBARU
User avatar
jakey
 
Posts: 1083
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:13 am
Location: Melbourne
Car: UBARU - 2005 MY06 3.0R
Real name: Jake
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15489

Re: The Raptor Liberty - Life and times

Postby Tradewind » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:22 am

Tradewind wrote:Gave the car a bit of a workout this morning

Everything VERY peachy, more low end punch when you got all the gasses in their right location instead of going into radiator.

There were 17hrs of labour on the invoice - I couldnt work out where he spent that much time on it, I have a pretty good idea of his starts and finishes on the job and nothing like that many hrs. But all power to him, it still looks very reasonable to me and he does well, we are both winning.

I provided the Victor Reinz gasket set and the engine coolant, had both on hand, could have supplied oil etc but hardly worth it. Thats about $230 extra

So all up about $2500 you would say.

In on a Thursday, back the following Friday, only hold up was some coolant hoses coming from Subaru - 2 day wait. All the hard to get at hoses have been replace with genuine hoses - in fact ALL coolant hoses.

Very pleased


Providing this text in answer to the gasket brand question by the previous poster (Jakey)

Tradewind has the VR brand inside his motor
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: Gordonvale Qld
Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF
Real name: Tim

Re: The Raptor Liberty - Life and times

Postby jakey » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:56 am

Tradewind wrote:
Tradewind wrote:Gave the car a bit of a workout this morning

Everything VERY peachy, more low end punch when you got all the gasses in their right location instead of going into radiator.

There were 17hrs of labour on the invoice - I couldnt work out where he spent that much time on it, I have a pretty good idea of his starts and finishes on the job and nothing like that many hrs. But all power to him, it still looks very reasonable to me and he does well, we are both winning.

I provided the Victor Reinz gasket set and the engine coolant, had both on hand, could have supplied oil etc but hardly worth it. Thats about $230 extra

So all up about $2500 you would say.

In on a Thursday, back the following Friday, only hold up was some coolant hoses coming from Subaru - 2 day wait. All the hard to get at hoses have been replace with genuine hoses - in fact ALL coolant hoses.

Very pleased



Providing this text in answer to the gasket brand question by the previous poster (Jakey)

Tradewind has the VR brand inside his motor



OK cheers, I thought you had previously installed one in the same car.
-Jakey-UBARU
User avatar
jakey
 
Posts: 1083
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:13 am
Location: Melbourne
Car: UBARU - 2005 MY06 3.0R
Real name: Jake
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15489

Re: The Raptor Liberty - Life and times

Postby Tradewind » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:57 pm

The Raptor Liberty Spec B is performing very well since head gasket replacement

It is running a very recent hands on tune from Matt/KiDo, goes extraordinarily well.

This past weekend were were range driving and followed a new AUDI S3 Sedan (2.0 TSFI engine), after a bit old mate Audi driver decides to up the ante a bit as you might when you got a VERY sweet looking $60+k car to show off.

From my experience in this instance, a tuned up 3.0 spec B Lib with headers, RAM INTAKE and Matt tune will nicely put away this fancy Audi model, firstly in cornering/road holding, secondly the S3 (2.0 turbo) simply cannot out accelerate the H6 3.0.

You dont need to spend $60+k if you want good handling and great acceleration in an AWD car. Yes, that AUDI is the sexiest thing, and its just awesome in so many ways, but when push comes to shove a well set up Lib 6 will toast it.
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind
 
Posts: 2032
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: Gordonvale Qld
Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF
Real name: Tim

PreviousNext

Return to Raptor Superchargers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests