RAPTOR SUPERCHARGER FOR LIB 3.0

Re: RAPTOR SUPERCHARGER FOR LIB 3.0

Postby nickk__is » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:33 pm

Tradewind wrote:After putting in DAYs more work than expected on the intercooler kit I know the intercooler kit pricing that I listed previously just doesnt work! This setup is a pricey piece of work, all I can say is lucky its WTA, if ATA it would never have happened, WTA is on the only system that gives us a chance to intercool the Leg/Lib without destroying the vehicle

To the one lucky person who paid for theirs already good luck to you, early bird got a VERY juicy worm :mrgreen:

The new pricing has been now listed http://www.raptorsc.com.au/kits.php?id=58

Holy crap, they did get a wicked deal if they paid the previous pricing! lucky lucky guy (or girl 8) )
nickk__is

Car: 2008 WRX STi Spec R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21850

Postby Tradewind » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Indeed

Some losses ........hmm
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby twinturbosubaru » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:48 pm

I'm sorry to say that this review of pricing puts me out, I can't justify spending that sort of coin on a nearly 8 year old car that's worth $15k unfortunately, maybe I'm getting too old :-(
I hope plenty of kits get installed and people enjoy them !!

Regards
Paul
twinturbosubaru

Car: Liberty RS, Liberty 3.0R

Postby Tradewind » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:59 pm

TTS

No worry, everyone has their budget limit, same for me

I have to say an extraordinary amount of people have missed some massive bargins through the Raptor H6 product development period

The early charger kits in NA form went out for less than $5k, only 2 people opted to buy. Results of kits - all current customers very pleased - 2 very lucky people :)

The early charger intercooled kits were way cheaper than an intercooled Commodore V6 kit (popular) - underestimated the total costs to make it, a bargain was had.

Early extractor/header sets - $440, turned out to be the bargain of the century, more power than anything could have ever made and proven now! 1 person got a set, the other person got our Ebay set for $385, thats insane lol.

In every case i set a price to get started thinking I was within the ball park, but specifications changed, difficulty of manufacturing made component parts dearer, better collectors were selected, more parts (cooler systems) than expected etc etc etc

All those that hopped in early, you guys are on the ball, you scammed (unknowingly)me and you got amazing products in return - everyone had the same opportunity. I lost money all the way but now all the costs are known that can be prevented
Tradewind

Postby SegR » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:32 pm

Don't be too concerned; it's the price of development :-)

If the product is good, sells well and you recoup your cost with post-development sales then all is good.
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Postby MH3.0R » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:34 pm

twinturbosubaru wrote:I'm sorry to say that this review of pricing puts me out, I can't justify spending that sort of coin on a nearly 8 year old car that's worth $15k unfortunately, maybe I'm getting too old :-(
I hope plenty of kits get installed and people enjoy them !!

Regards
Paul

You'll regret it! I was going to sell my almost 8 year old 3.0R, then the cost of changeover added up to significantly more. And if I happen to break an 8 year old car, my personal loss is considerably less than doing the same to a newer vehicle. I just love the way the torque hole has been filled with a charge! Anyway. each to his own!
MY15 Jaguar XFR-S 5.0 V8 SC 8AT White Saloon (Stock - nothing more to do with 400+ KW :))
MY11 Jaguar XFS 3.0DTT 6AT White Saloon (Prepped for sale)
MY19 Subaru XV 2.0iS the shopping trolley and weekend all terrain cruiser!
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12969#p176433

Postby twinturbosubaru » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:38 pm

Not going to sell it necessarily, just can't justify spending the money on it if it ain't broke :-)
It's still going fine, but spending 50% of the value of the car on a mod for it just doesn't seem to make sense to me when it will have 300,000km on it in another 3 years.
If it was a couple of years old and I didn't drive it that much and planned on keeping it for 5 years or more I would be going for it !

Regards
Paul
twinturbosubaru

Postby Tradewind » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:17 pm

The SC comes at 2 levels with significantly different price points, either one delivers a significant increase, if 180kw atw is enough (prolly 200 w/Raptor headers) then you enter at a very middle of the road cost so far as supercharger systems go, they dont come much cheaper for any other brand of kit/vehicle

If you absolutely have to have the potential to hit 230kw at wheels then you choose and pay the price of the system that does that. Going the step of even more power actually starts becoming a lot cheaper once the IC step has been covered, some smaller pulley sizes and a retune is all thats needed to push on further still
Tradewind

Postby MH3.0R » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:21 pm

twinturbosubaru wrote:Not going to sell it necessarily, just can't justify spending the money on it if it ain't broke :-)
It's still going fine, but spending 50% of the value of the car on a mod for it just doesn't seem to make sense to me when it will have 300,000km on it in another 3 years.
If it was a couple of years old and I didn't drive it that much and planned on keeping it for 5 years or more I would be going for it !

Regards
Paul

Know the felling well. I went through a similar debate. I went to trade mine at end of lease originally and the facelift version seemed like a cheaper cabin to me, so stayed with the same car and bought it outright. At the 6 year mark, 170k, I was going to trade up to an 08 GT tb STI, but again, cabin interior gave me the impression I would be trading down. So with 200K on the dial and 7 years, value at less than 15K, decided it was a keeper, so SC kit was approved for considerably less than changeover costs. I have spent around 8K to date, intend to spend another 2.5K on the auto transmission and will still be less than half of the changeover cost. But then again, if the mod bug bites some more, who knows..... and one is never too old to appreciate better performance out of an excellent package! Mate the stupid grin is still plastered all over my face every time I start the engine and hear that subtle whine. And on full song with WOT and AVCS, the sound is something else!

And Tim did not pay me to say any of this! Not that I wouldn't accept if he wants me to keep going.... :wink: Might be able to fund some future mods :lol:
MY15 Jaguar XFR-S 5.0 V8 SC 8AT White Saloon (Stock - nothing more to do with 400+ KW :))
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Postby twinturbosubaru » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:31 pm

I totally understand where you are coming from and that's exactly why I have been watching this thread for a while, however I do so many kays and this is what is making me wonder about the value versus the life the vehicle still has.

Tim has a good point about the cheaper kit, you can always start there and work up, that's certainly an option for me to consider.

I went through the same thing about 5 years ago, I had a twin turbo legacy import, it was getting tired at 230,000km and the black box for the twin turbo setup was playing up, or so I thought, so I found a V4 STi in Japan, bought that and swapped the whole driveline, engine, brakes, gearbox, suspension, everything.
For $10k I had a new car which was a weapon, I loved it, so a SC kit for the H6 I have now is like doing that, only half the price really, but, I still find myself asking the question as to whether I am still going to want this car in 3 years with 300k on the clock, will it stand the test of time like most of my other high km subies ? I'm not sure just yet.

It is such a nice looking car, that's why I bought it, and for the H6 engine, I has great features and it's still standard apart from the exhaust, so there are lots of opportunities to change things, so who knows where it might end up.
Unfortunately I am just about to sell my mint condition factory original Gen1 RS Liberty to raise some needed cash for house reno's, which I realllllllly don't want to do, so the SC kit takes a back step for the moment, but I am definitely going to keep an open mind and will be watching with interest the results and thoughts of the people who upgrade as I really think it's a cost effective power increase when you compare turbo'ing the car which is just going to end up being messy I think.

Regards
Paul
twinturbosubaru

Postby my07_liberty » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:50 am

Tradewind wrote:Perth has a few hot weeks every year otherwise through Autumn, Winter & Spring the temps are down, especially once the Freemantle doctor kicks in :D

You could use either system in Perth, cooled or uncooled.

So when would you recommend an intercooled system?
As read further back in this thread. Some will not pruchase the kit without an intercooler.
my07_liberty

Postby Tradewind » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:49 am

Whatever is purchased must be tuned to operate safely - both systems can operate safely

In a very hot climate power will be compromised without cooling but safe operating conditions can be maintained via the tune
Tradewind

Postby MH3.0R » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:49 pm

twinturbosubaru wrote:...but, I still find myself asking the question as to whether I am still going to want this car in 3 years with 300k on the clock... It is such a nice looking car, that's why I bought it, and for the H6 engine, I has great features and it's still standard apart from the exhaust, so there are lots of opportunities to change things, so who knows where it might end up.

Very similar predicament, so I decided to make a keeper and project car.

twinturbosubaru wrote:Unfortunately I am just about to sell my mint condition factory original Gen1 RS Liberty to raise some needed cash for house reno's, which I realllllllly don't want to do,

Good luck with the reno's. My wife was hell bent with big house mods, but also needed a new car, so we got her a new car, then I got to do my project! Next will be the house mods.

twinturbosubaru wrote:so the SC kit takes a back step for the moment, but I am definitely going to keep an open mind and will be watching with interest the results and thoughts of the people who upgrade as I really think it's a cost effective power increase...

You are right on there. No engine internals, very easy to return to stock, and power can be adjusted until you find the weakest link! Like you, I was a thread watcher at first, then when all the planets suddenly aligned, I just went for it. Plus it cost me a new leather lounge suite as well!
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Postby SH30RB » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:33 pm

just out of curiosity, does anyone have a video/sound clip of the raptor SC whine?

or Mark, G, would you guys be able to capture one just as an indication? i do love the whine from superchargers :D
TEAM FUNERAL HEARSE!
Only slightly modified, I swear!
SH30RB
-stickered-

Car: 05 Liberty 3.0R-B wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14766

Postby Tradewind » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:35 pm

Try G and MH, they have air cooled chargers, all others are watercooled chargers - bit different in the sound department
Tradewind

PreviousNext

Return to Raptor Superchargers