Lets talk tuning (KiDo Tunes)

Re: Lets talk tuning (KiDo Tunes)

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:35 am

Lib 3.0LR wrote:Hi Matt any chance in sending me my stock mapping for my car thanks.
Cheers George :D

You should have it later this week :)
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:36 am

legacydan wrote:is the wideband A/F meter necessary? I have everything else needed to do this kind of tune except the meter, so i wouldn't need all the hardware. Is the hardware rented or purchased? Is this open to jdm legacy's?

JDM Legacy is not a problem :)

KiDo_Tuning

Postby Rome_BRZ » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:25 am

Matt do you find that the auto box in the Gen 4 Libertys (both pre and post facelift) limit overall power to a certain extent? Or do you think they could realistically see a number equivalent to 240-250 kw atw?
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Postby XT_for_me » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:31 pm

Rome_STI wrote:Matt do you find that the auto box in the Gen 4 Libertys (both pre and post facelift) limit overall power to a certain extent? Or do you think they could realistically see a number equivalent to 240-250 kw atw?

Actually torque is the thing that a gear box has to withstand. In the STi auto Subaru limit the maximum torque of the engine to 350mn to protect the gearbox. Many people have shown 350nm to be a conservative limit and are running 400 -450 nm without any issues. Of course, as with anything, the more the stress the shorter the working life. There are things you can do to improve the torque handling of an auto such as bigger clutch packs, higher pump pressures, reworked valve bodies etc. I don't know which of these is available for the Lib 5 speed but I am sure the auto trans experts would have ideas. The other thing I can say is that there are Forester owners running the older 4 speed auto with over 400 nm and they seem to be OK too.
Stopping is not optional!

KiDo Racing Big Brake Kits, Coilover Suspension, Tunes, Turbo rebuilds, and Kamak Turbos
Brake Kits
Coilovers
Tuning
Chassis Braces

XT_for_me

Car: Subaru Forester MY09 XT

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:14 pm

Rome_STI wrote:Matt do you find that the auto box in the Gen 4 Libertys (both pre and post facelift) limit overall power to a certain extent? Or do you think they could realistically see a number equivalent to 240-250 kw atw?

Realistically, the 5EAT Auto box can be made to shift quite smoothly and handle a substantial amount of power but obviously a 5+ year old box is going to be dependant on age and abuse. By getting the DBW system right to smooth out shifts, the transmission can keep a proportional constant shaft speed to stop torque shock loading.

KiDo_Tuning

Postby Rome_BRZ » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:17 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:

Realistically, the 5EAT Auto box can be made to shift quite smoothly and handle a substantial amount of power but obviously a 5+ year old box is going to be dependant on age and abuse. By getting the DBW system right to smooth out shifts, the transmission can keep a proportional constant shaft speed to stop torque shock loading.

Interesting! Have you tuned a high powered auto Liberty? Would be keen to see how it performs!
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:37 pm

Jerome - did you see Project Veloci?

Extensively upgraded 5eat plus KiDo Tune, simply amazing results.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Rome_BRZ » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:04 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Jerome - did you see Project Veloci?

Extensively upgraded 5eat plus KiDo Tune, simply amazing results.

I have but I should have clarified I meant a 2.5GT in particular
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:42 pm

US LGT customer is running some decent power on a stock box, no issues.
Forester SEdition with a built motor, Dom Turbo and 22psi with stock box doing some stupidly quick times at the drags.

KiDo_Tuning

Postby <GB> » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:53 pm

how does one of your tunes go with a pretty big motor combo with crosworth heads and cams, bigger turbo, fmic running an evc boost controller? my car idles like a rotor at 600-800 rpm and wont idle up unless i blip the throttle which then brings it up to 1000 give or take, my old tuner said thats the way it is and to fix it it needs aftermarket ecu which i think is wrong. im currently getting the valve clearances done as they are out of spec, and hoping this may stop this issue. my old tuner also had the car locked into open look which i got told may have been to mask the problem or problems with there tune and running of the car.
the car originally had ecutech but was re flashed and had new software from the rom raider site installed

opinions?
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:03 pm

<GB> wrote:how does one of your tunes go with a pretty big motor combo with crosworth heads and cams, bigger turbo, fmic running an evc boost controller? my car idles like a rotor at 600-800 rpm and wont idle up unless i blip the throttle which then brings it up to 1000 give or take, my old tuner said thats the way it is and to fix it it needs aftermarket ecu which i think is wrong. im currently getting the valve clearances done as they are out of spec, and hoping this may stop this issue. my old tuner also had the car locked into open look which i got told may have been to mask the problem or problems with there tune and running of the car.
the car originally had ecutech but was re flashed and had new software from the rom raider site installed

opinions?

I have tuned a few similar setups with great results(I had a MY11 STi with Kelford cams before I got my S206) as my idles are always perfect if the injector latency and MAF scaling is correct, along with having the right ignition timing to stabilise.

Also, the EVC will be part of the problem. Correctly tuned, you can use the right foot as a boost controller for zero lag and 10x better throttle response and improved fuel economy ;) I am sure Bruce/Bass Straitener can confirm how good it can be :)

Open Loop is a bandaid for poorly tuned injectors/MAF :)

KiDo_Tuning

Postby <GB> » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:49 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
<GB> wrote:how does one of your tunes go with a pretty big motor combo with crosworth heads and cams, bigger turbo, fmic running an evc boost controller? my car idles like a rotor at 600-800 rpm and wont idle up unless i blip the throttle which then brings it up to 1000 give or take, my old tuner said thats the way it is and to fix it it needs aftermarket ecu which i think is wrong. im currently getting the valve clearances done as they are out of spec, and hoping this may stop this issue. my old tuner also had the car locked into open look which i got told may have been to mask the problem or problems with there tune and running of the car.

opinions?

I have tuned a few similar setups with great results(I had a MY11 STi with Kelford cams before I got my S206) as my idles are always perfect if the injector latency and MAF scaling is correct, along with having the right ignition timing to stabilise.

Also, the EVC will be part of the problem. Correctly tuned, you can use the right foot as a boost controller for zero lag and 10x better throttle response and improved fuel economy ;) I am sure Bruce/Bass Straitener can confirm how good it can be :)

my cams are the biggest crosworth have and even they said it sounds weird.

the injectors have just been changed to id1000 as the one that were in it were un known brand and number scratched off.... these injectors are to suit mrt custom fuel rails. the injectors also maxed out at 300awkw at 22 psi.
The maf is a bigger than standard unit and doesnt seem to have resolution at idle and is jumping around, so the current place has put a stock one back on and this has helped, as far as the rest of the tune who knows bruce has a copy of the old tune... the car leaned out on a dyno day recently the a/f were going down nicly to around 10.5 or so and half way through the run it shot straight up.... i have old readings from the first guys that showed this differently...

i origanaly put the evc on due to it being recomened as being better after i had an issue where the car wouldnt boost past 18psi we upgraded the actuator and put the evc on.
my car will always have some lag as the turbo is bigger specs are unknow as it was a custom built item by atp

im very hesitant with anyone with my car at this stage as lots of people have played with it and not gotten the thing sorted
<GB>

Postby XT_for_me » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:39 pm

<GB> wrote:im very hesitant with anyone with my car at this stage as lots of people have played with it and not gotten the thing sorted

Ah yes, I have had numerous tunes (5 different tuners) since I fitted the VF52 (which is a pretty basic mod) and so far I have had 1 tune that actually works the way I expect! Guess who did it? :lol:
Last edited by XT_for_me on Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stopping is not optional!

KiDo Racing Big Brake Kits, Coilover Suspension, Tunes, Turbo rebuilds, and Kamak Turbos
Brake Kits
Coilovers
Tuning
Chassis Braces

XT_for_me

Car: Subaru Forester MY09 XT

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:56 pm

<GB> wrote:
KiDo_Tuning wrote:I have tuned a few similar setups with great results(I had a MY11 STi with Kelford cams before I got my S206) as my idles are always perfect if the injector latency and MAF scaling is correct, along with having the right ignition timing to stabilise.

my cams are the biggest crosworth have and even they said it sounds weird.
the injectors have just been changed to id1000 as the one that were in it were un known brand and number scratched off.... these injectors are to suit mrt custom fuel rails. the injectors also maxed out at 300awkw at 22 psi.
The maf is a bigger than standard unit and doesnt seem to have resolution at idle and is jumping around, so the current place has put a stock one back on and this has helped, as far as the rest of the tune who knows bruce has a copy of the old tune... the car leaned out on a dyno day recently the a/f were going down nicly to around 10.5 or so and half way through the run it shot straight up.... i have old readings from the first guys that showed this differently...
i origanaly put the evc on due to it being recomened as being better after i had an issue where the car wouldnt boost past 18psi we upgraded the actuator and put the evc on.
my car will always have some lag as the turbo is bigger specs are unknow as it was a custom built item by atp

im very hesitant with anyone with my car at this stage as lots of people have played with it and not gotten the thing sorted

The stock MAF housing will be causing the MAF to reach 5V and thus shut down the injectors which is why the AFR's shot up.
Had a similar thing with my own car reaching 5V on stock airbox(77% injector duty cycle on ID1000's making 273Kw@wheels) and with ID1000's flowing 80% more fuel than stock it would be odd to have only 300awKw with maxed injectors. Might have an issue with cam overlap blowing fuel into the exhaust manifold? Is consistent with the MAF voltage hitting 5V too.
Which CAI/MAF was being used? I have scalings for all of the common CAI intakes which require minimal fine tuning :)

The EVC is a good unit(I have used them plenty of times on various Nissans) but the stock boost control system in a Subaru is quite advanced once it is understood PLUS if the correct values are not in the target boost table, the EVC is actually going to cause issues as well :) ECU logic has correction factors for everything, including boost error ;)

I can get specs out of ATP if required, I do a bit of work with them. Just need to know roughly when it was supplied/ordered

KiDo_Tuning

Postby <GB> » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:27 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
The stock MAF housing will be causing the MAF to reach 5V and thus shut down the injectors which is why the AFR's shot up.
Had a similar thing with my own car reaching 5V on stock airbox(77% injector duty cycle on ID1000's making 273Kw@wheels) and with ID1000's flowing 80% more fuel than stock it would be odd to have only 300awKw with maxed injectors. Might have an issue with cam overlap blowing fuel into the exhaust manifold? Is consistent with the MAF voltage hitting 5V too.
Which CAI/MAF was being used? I have scalings for all of the common CAI intakes which require minimal fine tuning :)

The EVC is a good unit(I have used them plenty of times on various Nissans) but the stock boost control system in a Subaru is quite advanced once it is understood PLUS if the correct values are not in the target boost table, the EVC is actually going to cause issues as well :) ECU logic has correction factors for everything, including boost error ;)

I can get specs out of ATP if required, I do a bit of work with them. Just need to know roughly when it was supplied/ordered
the car doesn't have a stock maf housing check my profile URL out >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It's got a 3 inch alloy tube with a pod under th wheel arch area, the maf is a bigger unit not the stock one it's all custom, it's a dense unit I have the numbers, I've just been told its not standard so the scaling should be all different

Th maxed out injected were the old ones rateed around 650cc

I've always said my issue coud be can overlap... As far as the idle issue, once it gets up there in a power run it sounds mad even the tuner said its good

The turbo was custom made at ATP in Melbourne the guy wouldn't give me the specs as its his special unit, it's a core that's been made ball bearing with different housings and wheels internal gate
<GB>

PreviousNext

Return to KiDo Racing