Nov 2011 visit

Re: Nov 2011 visit

Postby Kekotic » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:04 pm

Well from all accounts I have heard it's very common. I must travel down there sometime soon. How much of a hassle was it getting over there with the car Mark? Costs involved etc.
Maybe we could do another Australia day cruise but this time in Tassie :lol:
Kekotic
-stickered-

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13066

Postby MH3.0R » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:55 pm

Anyone recommend a good hand car wash in Hobart area for Monday?
MY15 Jaguar XFR-S 5.0 V8 SC 8AT White Saloon (Stock - nothing more to do with 400+ KW :))
MY11 Jaguar XFS 3.0DTT 6AT White Saloon (Prepped for sale)
MY19 Subaru XV 2.0iS the shopping trolley and weekend all terrain cruiser!
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12969#p176433

Postby MH3.0R » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:57 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:Well from all accounts I have heard it's very common. I must travel down there sometime soon. How much of a hassle was it getting over there with the car Mark? Costs involved etc.

Check out the Tasmanian Ferry costs on line, plus accommodation and meals, depending then on your length of stay! Google is your friend!
MY15 Jaguar XFR-S 5.0 V8 SC 8AT White Saloon (Stock - nothing more to do with 400+ KW :))
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Postby climic » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:34 pm

How is tassie treating you? Lovin it so far?
climic

Car: Subaru Liberty MY07 Wagon 2.5i

Postby MH3.0R » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:21 pm

Yes, Tassie is treating me well thanks.

Today we travelled from Queenstown to Bradys Lake, then down to New Norfolk (for 98 RON fuel) then out to Lake Pedder (Strathgordon) and the Gordon Dam. For 98 RON fuel, I forgot to fill up at Queenstown but I cannot believe most of the petrol stations between Queenstown and New Norfolk do not sell 98 RON. :evil: Then back into Hobart tonight. All good though and Lake Pedder brings back some fond memories for me fishing with my uncle back in the late 70s. Pulled some beautiful browns out of that lake.

Tomorrow, hanging out around Hobart (looking for a carwash) a bit of cleaning and shopping. Interested in meeting some of the Tassie crowd tomorrow for dinner or whatever. I am very flexible with the timing, so post your availability here.
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Postby climic » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:30 pm

MH3.0R wrote:Yes, Tassie is treating me well thanks.

Today we travelled from Queenstown to Bradys Lake, then down to New Norfolk (for 98 RON fuel) then out to Lake Pedder (Strathgordon) and the Gordon Dam. For 98 RON fuel, I forgot to fill up at Queenstown but I cannot believe most of the petrol stations between Queenstown and New Norfolk do not sell 98 RON. :evil: Then back into Hobart tonight. All good though and Lake Pedder brings back some fond memories for me fishing with my uncle back in the late 70s. Pulled some beautiful browns out of that lake.

Tomorrow, hanging out around Hobart (looking for a carwash) a bit of cleaning and shopping. Interested in meeting some of the Tassie crowd tomorrow for dinner or whatever. I am very flexible with the timing, so post your availability here.

Very nice drive there! Yeah not to fond of Hobart might have to ask matt on that.

I'm located in launceston! So see my plans for when you come down!
climic

Postby imania » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:46 pm

chaotic2050 wrote:Well from all accounts I have heard it's very common. I must travel down there sometime soon. How much of a hassle was it getting over there with the car Mark? Costs involved etc.

Did a tassie cruise with my old car club october last year, and we're planning another one for early 2013. We had $75 each way for the car, and buying a 4 bed cabin it was only $75 each way for travel too. so $300 return in travel.
We circumvented the entire state in 8 days, and it is truly incredible. The roads are amazing, the traffic is polite, and it's every bit as breathtaking and a driver's heaven as everyone makes out. We saw one patrol car in devonport, then not another til we got right the way back up to 'inceston'.

It's something every driver has to do, and a place you have to go, i highly recommend going with a bunch of like minded friends, it's an amazing holiday.

One thing though, when you get loaded onto the ferry, if possible avoid the lower decks, i scraped both in and out down there due to how steep the ramps were.
imania

Car: 2007 Liberty GT Tuned by STi

Postby imania » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:51 pm

MH3.0R wrote:Yes, Tassie is treating me well thanks.

Strathgordon is incredible, i loved the dam! and the 100km uninterrupted drive on the way in is amazing. Glad you're enjoying it!
A pic i took at the dam :)
imania

Car: 2007 Liberty GT Tuned by STi

Postby MH3.0R » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:59 am

climic wrote:Very nice drive there! Yeah not to fond of Hobart might have to ask matt on that.

I'm located in launceston! So see my plans for when you come down!

I am planning to be in Launceston for Sunday (next weekend), so where do I find your plans?

Kind Regards,

Mark.
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Postby MH3.0R » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:56 pm

Well, I have done the west coast, south coast, south east, and now working my way up the east coast. We are staying in St Helens tonight and then venturing across to Scottsdale tomorrow and propping there until Sunday morning. Should be in Launceston Sunday afternoon and departing Monday morning to finish off the north coast and back to the ferry for Monday night.

If anyone wants to meet up in Launceston, either late Sunday arvo, evening for dinner or Monday morning for breaky.

Must say that the roads here are awesome! The twisty bits just keep coming. Although, there were more straight sections on the east coast than I recall on the other sections.

FUEL: For those who use 98RON fuel. It is hard to find reliably and I have taken the attitude of taking every opportunity to fill up when I can. Most reliable source is BP, but only at the major towns and cities. Explanation from two servo owners is that the 98RON comes in bulk from WA and while in transit, if Victoria is running low, the ship will be diverted to Victoria and let Tasmania run dry. At a BP servo today, I pulled up to the Ultimate Pump, but the owner rushed out and indicated he was out of 98 and would not be getting anymore until Saturday at the earliest. He lifted the 95 pump and was going to start filling my tank, but I rejected his offer (my tune is dependent on 98RON minimum). Had more than 3/4 of a tank, so pressed on to St Helens and managed to get a full tank there. There were several Caltex, Shell and BP servos that would only stock 91 and 95 and this is a potential trap for highly tuned engines. How do you Tasswegians get on with fuel? Has anyone registered a complaint with the fuel companies?

SUSPENSION: For those with lowered settings, I recommend lifting it back to stock levels as the roads here demand it. Once lifted, a new wheel alignment is also recommended, I had mine done a Pedders at North Hobart (Phil, thanks for squeezing me in at very short notice).
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Postby climic » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:26 pm

Sounds like you've had some fun! Still liking it?

Yeah petrol is pretty harsh here hard to find and if you do can be lucky or its out.! Im lucky just use normal unleaded cause my car recommends it with the 2.5i's

when i meant by see my plans, I meant I'll see my plans to see if im busy haha!
climic

Postby MH3.0R » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:40 pm

Well, made it into Launceston this arvo. Explored a lot of the north east area on Friday and Saturday. Found one pair of my great-grand parents in the Branxholm cemetary. My great-grand father was a mine engineer and manager at the Arba Tin mine in Branxholm in the late 1800's and early 1900's. A lot of family history came out of this area from both sides of my parents.

Any takers for a meet? Breakfast tomorrow is out for me now, but there is still a possibility for afternoon coffee or dinner tonight. Open to suggestions.

Kind Regards,

Mark.
MH3.0R
-stickered-

Postby climic » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:05 pm

Wow man would love to catch up but I have to work! Sucks balls e's keen to see your ride, and yesterday we ha a jap car show day with a few there would of been nice if you could of made that and showed off your car there!

We had drifting Tasmania there! Was pretty good we had some toyota corolla peeps come down from melb on a cruise and they just came along to show theirs off!

Sorry cant catch up! Work got the best of me! Somewhere you should eat is, burger got soul! It's a nice little burger shop they are amazing!

Hope you enjoyed tassie!
climic

Postby matt_3.0rb » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:25 pm

depending on what sort of dinner your after, definately go down and check out MUD at the seaport too.
That's the sister restaurant of the place i work in Hobart and i was working up at mud during the week. Great food and service and stuff. Definitely worth checking out.

Hope the east coast was good. Did you have a crack at the sideling on the way from scottsdale to launceston?

Car looks and sounds great btw, didnt get a chance to tell you after breaky the other day. Did you just change the mufflers, makes a good noise. :D
matt_3.0rb
-stickered-

Car: '05 3.0R-b wagon 6MT

Postby MH3.0R » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:27 pm

Cheers Brendon. Work first, then play, always a good philosophy. I will tgake a look at the burger place for dinner.
MH3.0R
-stickered-

PreviousNext

Return to TAS