1997 outback gen 1 limited dual range question

Topics specifically relating to Outback models

1997 outback gen 1 limited dual range question

Postby outbackyarder » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:10 am

I`ve only been into Subaru`s for 3 years` , my daily driver being a 1994 liberty wagon that hasn`t missed a beat and my latest purchase from an auction is a 1997 outback gen 1 limited edition , 5 speed manual , 2.5 litre wagon .

My query is about the All Wheel Drive / 4WD system in the outback. My `94 liberty is 2WD with 4WD LOW range operated by using the centre lever , but i cant get any info about the `97 outback having LOW range or just dual range. I have tested the 4WD capabilities by driving at a certain speed and seeing what the rpm is and then engaging the centre lever for 4WD and seeing if the rpms go higher ...... and they do. That indicates to me it is 4WD ,but it is not 4WD low range. It is not going slow enough for Low range . The light on the dash doesn`t come on ,either ,but that may just be a globe ( i haven`t proceeded that far ,yet ) .

I have owned a few capable 4WD `s fitted with all the offroad gear and know what low range feels like ,but this doesn`t seem to have it . That is not to say it is a bad thing not having it. Subaru`s are a tough and reliable vehicle , in my limited experience with them.

I am finding so much conflicting info on the `net and the local Subaru dealership was no help at all . Opinions and information from various websites vary too much and most of the technical data i have found seems to be about overseas models that are not relavant to my vehicle. According to a couple of websites ,my car is supposed to have heated seats and mirrors ,but it is a pretty original looking unit and doesn`t have the switches for either.

I just want to know if it is supposed to have low range when the lever is engaged , or is it only high range gearing that shifts traction between the wheels by altering the ratio of traction ? By that i mean , does it have a 50 / 50 ratio split under normal driving and a 63 / 37 or 80 / 20 or 20 /80 split with 4WD engaged ?

Any info or feedback is much appreciated. :close_tema:

Thankyou.
outbackyarder

Car: outback and liberty wagons

Re: 1997 outback gen 1 limited dual range question

Postby waynieRS » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:48 pm

auto outbacks dont have low range . manuals do . next to the hand brake.its a form of low range . remember its a road car so it has its limits . not a hilux /patrol/ land cruiser etc
waynieRS

Postby Gyro Gearloose » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:59 am

Your Gen 2 Outback (there was no Gen 1 Outback) is constant AWD. There is a centre diff with a viscous LSD that splits the torque between the front and rear axles 50/50
Your Gen 1 Liberty was the same, it likely would have had "Constant 4WD" or "Full Time 4WD" stickers on the rear doors.
Only the earlier Leone/L series/ 1800 Subarus were FWD or 4WD plus a low range

Your Outback has low range that selects a 1:1.2 (or close to) reduction but this has no effect on the operation of the AWD
2004 Liberty GT Auto
2004 Forester
1987 Leone RX Turbo with EJ20G, 5sp AWD Dual Range and WRX brakes (Khanacross Toy)
Gyro Gearloose

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto, 87 Leone RX

Postby outbackyarder » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:27 pm

Thanks for the replies,fellas .

Should a dash light come up when the 4wd is selected like my liberty ? Will i notice any difference between low and high range when the 4wd is engaged or is it really very minimal ? I have to say i really do notice the AWD working while i`m driving .

My early 1994 liberty 2.2 litre is definately front wheel drive with 4wd low range on the lever. It only has a 4wd sticker on the back and not constant or full time 4wd .

This vehicle won`t be treated like my other 4wds. I got it for comfort and reliability ,so it has got to last awhile . It`s a pretty good car to drive.

Outbackyarder
outbackyarder

Car: outback and liberty wagons

Postby Gyro Gearloose » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:44 am

You cant 'select' 4wd because its always in 4wd/AWD

The lever only selects between hi - neutral - lo.

Unless it had a gearbox from an earlier model 1800 L series or Leone, which requires some modification, it would have been constant 4WD or AWD as it is more commonly known

The '4wd lo' on the lever is just how its written, when the lever is in the 'hi' its still in 4wd mode
2004 Liberty GT Auto
2004 Forester
1987 Leone RX Turbo with EJ20G, 5sp AWD Dual Range and WRX brakes (Khanacross Toy)
Gyro Gearloose

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto, 87 Leone RX

Return to Outback Country