2007 MY08 Outback - same stereo and internals as Liberty?

Topics specifically relating to Outback models

2007 MY08 Outback - same stereo and internals as Liberty?

Postby rynogee » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:35 pm

Just wondering if anyone can comment on the similarity of the MY08 Outback to the Liberty?

My main interest at this stage is getting a custom fascia kit for my Outback to install a single or dual din stereo, without junking the A/C controls etc. Seems to be more info on Liberty's and Liberty specific parts available, so curious on interchangeability.

Oh, and if anyone has a fascia that would work, I'd be keen to buy it...
rynogee

Car: Outback 2007

Re: 2007 MY08 Outback - same stereo and internals as Liberty

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:01 pm

does your outback have the silver dash? The most notable liberty headunit is in the GT as is a black MacIntosh unit. As far as im aware the silver unit is not the same, but similar in design. I do know the outback headunit doesnt have RCA outputs so if you wanted to hook up an amp you can keep the stock headunit and use speaker line input.

If you really wanted to replace the headunit with a double din (no single din/ wouldnt bother) yes you would need the fascia but i believe you would probably need the panel + air con & controls (not 100% but would make life easier) which can be a bit pricey.

If your after it because you want to upgrade your sound i would save the best part of a grand and just keep the stock head unit. If you hate the head unit, good luck :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/111472229302?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby Shiv » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:16 pm

Possible to put a single DIN flip out touch screen in the cubby up top? My Outback has the McInosh Head Unit, but no NAV. So I would like to put a Nav screen in it without replacing nice looking head unit/climate control interface.
MY08 'off-road spec' Outback 3.0R Premium -- 1"inch raised King Springs, 1"inch lifting blocks, SubaXtreme alloy front & rear bars, KIDO Tune, Valenti Style Tail Lights + much much more!
Shiv

Car: MY08 Outback 3.0R Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27335

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:35 pm

i think i considered that a while ago with my gen4 outback but i think it lacks enough space both in the cubby and behind it so you would have to do a bit of cutting if you really wanted it and i dont think itd look clean at all unless you found a fascia kit (not sure if they exist), better off going with that tablet install, or if you can source a sat nav unit from a wreck would be better but maybe exy maybe even just a tom tom stuck onto the window/ air vent mount
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby Shiv » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:01 am

Yeah I'm thinking the tablet install would be easiest.

I do have a sat nav from a wreck and my auto-electrician and I can't see how it would connect up as it had too many plugs to what was behind the dash.
MY08 'off-road spec' Outback 3.0R Premium -- 1"inch raised King Springs, 1"inch lifting blocks, SubaXtreme alloy front & rear bars, KIDO Tune, Valenti Style Tail Lights + much much more!
Shiv

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:21 am

i havnt looked at the back of a mcintosh unit yet, only the silver unit. Strange though it comes factory on some models so you would have thought it would atleast have the ability to plum it in even if you have to add a few wires
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby Shiv » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:40 am

GONEWALKABOUT wrote:i havnt looked at the back of a mcintosh unit yet, only the silver unit. Strange though it comes factory on some models so you would have thought it would atleast have the ability to plum it in even if you have to add a few wires

My sparky told me that it would have something to do with the cars computer, which he won't touch.

I spoke with Subaru and they haven't done retrofits so don't want to experiment.

No matter, I think the functionality of a Nexus will be much better anyway...
Shiv

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:33 pm

egh in that case yeah nexus it is! looks flashier anyway!
GONEWALKABOUT

Return to Outback Country