2010 rear sway bar mod

Topics specifically relating to Outback models

2010 rear sway bar mod

Postby skyva » Thu May 08, 2014 3:53 pm

Over in the US, there is a large thread about doing an upgrade on the rear sway bar from 16mm to 19mm, which is std for the 2009 WRX STI. It is a straight swap. It is meant to hold the car flatter in turns. Here are some links:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104 ... orial.html

I do a lot of driving on highways with roundabouts, which entails 100kmh into a large roundabout at 50-60kmh, then out again up to 100kmh. I wanted my car to sit a little flatter, as the inside rear tends to lift a bit and lean over. Also, on the oem geosquealers, the front screamed and washed out as well. That may be symptomatic of the heavy 3.6L engine over the front tyres.

So I ordered the parts from here:
http://subaruonlineparts.com/subaru-out ... -2163.html
The bar and a new cabin air filter were around $200 AUD delivered.

It comes as shown with the sway bar and new bushings to suit the larger diameter.

Installation was a pain in the arse if you do not lift the car, as there is limited room under the car and suspension bits get in the way. Not technically difficult, just uncomfortable being on your back that long doing hundred of little turns to get the 4 bush bolts and 2 end bar bolts off. After 4 years mine were crusted on.

Getting the old bar out once the screws are off is easy and installation is a lot easier than removal.

The handling is much better, much flatter as everyone has said, and no other real change I have noticed except maybe a little stiffer in the rear, but so marginal as to not be noticeable unless you are looking for it. I highly recommend the mod. There is talk of restricted articulation when off-roading but how many of us push the articulation limits of our cars off-road. I certainly don't, my off-roading is all flat gravel roads and grassed paddocks.

I also put new Pirelli scorpion verde all seasons on and they are much better than the oem yoko's in every respect so far. I got 90,000km out of the yoko's so time will tell how the new tyres go but much less understeer and no noise, as well as improved levels of grip.

Overall very happy with the set-up, given a new lease of life to the old girl coming up for 100k.

I hope this helps someone else.
skyva

Car: Subaru Outback 3.6R premium 2010

Return to Outback Country