gen5 tyres

Topics specifically relating to Outback models

gen5 tyres

Postby skyva » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:17 pm

Hi, my original 225/60r17 geosqueelers are about done, after 90k. Can't complain about tyre life.

Anyway, looking for new tyres. narrowed it down to Pirelli scorpion verde all seasons, or continental conticross contact lx sport.

I do mostly high speed freeway work with some fast roundabouts thrown in. Also a little off road, mainly wet and soft grassy paddocks.

Any tips or experiences appreciated.
skyva

Car: Subaru Outback 3.6R premium 2010

Re: gen5 tyres

Postby Manaz » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:44 pm

Seriously consider if you actually need a soft-roader tyre. We put road tyres on our 4Gen Outback and have been much happier with it as a vehicle, particularly with its road manners.
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Re: gen5 tyres

Postby skyva » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:41 am

Well seeing as the mrs had her 4wd wrecked, and she now has a nice new falcon, my car will be the one that drives across the paddocks with a trailer and does the other off-road work. It can get a bit soft and muddy in parts, not something you want to try in a falcon in the rain.

Call me crazy for getting an AWD SUV and going offroad :) I still do the school run most mornings, so its still in its "natural environment" as well.

I have the scorpion verde all seasons fitted yesterday, which are probably a little more road oriented than the continentals, which were a lower load rating so I didn't go that way. First impressions are good, better grip/less understeer in roundabouts than the oem. Might be a little stiffer in the rear suspension area, maybe sidewalls are stronger, or maybe the old tyres were a little low in air pressure. Need to check what they new ones are running.

Also need to check road noise at 100kmh, and maybe some twisty gravel roads when it rains. Been dry here for the last few days and our gravel road is hard as concrete.

Happy so far, just need to use them in wet conditions to see how they go. Got them for ~$220 a tyre so cheaper than yokohamas as well.
skyva

Car: Subaru Outback 3.6R premium 2010

Return to Outback Country