outback on the beach

Topics specifically relating to Outback models

outback on the beach

Postby monty » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:31 am

I have recently traded from a nissan pathfinder to an outback, how does the outback handle beach driving ? in particular soft sand, am dying to try it but a bit worried as it does not have a low range, any tips would be great.
monty

Car: outback

Re: outback on the beach

Postby mrgnluke » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:10 pm

Low range does help in certain circumstances but not necessary.

The Outback's approach and departure angles are not in it's favour... They have quite a bit of overhang which will cause you to bottom out regularly.

I used to own an MY02 Outback and took it on a few small offroading adventures. It performed brilliantly but it's no LandCruiser/Prado/Pathfinder, etc.

I took this video when a few mates and I went for a mini adventure. Three Outbacks and a Foz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB8XmV4 ... ature=plcp
mrgnluke

Car: MY10 GT wagon- VE Calais V Inter

Postby BUDDAH » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:56 pm

I drop my tyers to 14LBS on the Forester S and I have driven everywhere on Stockton and Hawks Nest beach. I would say its possible in the Outback but the hardest bit is the first 300meters approach to and off the beach as this is where the concentration of traffic and chewed up sand is . If you do feel inclined check the tides and run the hard sand at waters edge. First time out take a set of MAXTRAX they are fantastic if you get bogged
BUDDAH
I've been banned

Postby CarDoc » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:09 am

mrgnluke , That vid is a good representation of the sun roof/escape hatch.

I have taken all of my Outbacks to the beach, most times with really soft sand, and the front bumper doubles as a scoop. Just moves the sand out of the way. Pass by all kinds of trucks buried in the sand while the Outback just walks through. Its almost too easy.
Subaru...Fun when driven.....FAST
CarDoc

Car: 01 Supercharged Outback VDC
Profile URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKEWATE0i-E

Return to Outback Country