EJ207 swap into an outback

Topics specifically relating to Outback models

EJ207 swap into an outback

Postby smen » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:52 pm

I picked up a cheap 2008 Outback 2.5i Auto with a blown motor. I have a spare EJ207 in the shed that I plan to put in (it was originally destined for my forester, but plans change).
I'm not afraid of wiring, I re-wired my 99 Forester to take a STi GDB 16bit ECU. This involved significant modifications to the loom, but I would prefer a more plug-and-play approach for this particular project.

Questions:
My current plan is to source a wiring loom, ECU etc from Gen 4 Liberty GT Auto. Will this will be a direct swap into the Outback?
Do the Gen 4 Liberty GT engine looms run the same plugs as GDB WRX/STis? I don't mind a re-pin, but I already had some WRX engine looms.

I'm comfortable with changing subframes, fabbing up an exhaust etc. It is really just the wiring compatibility between models that I am interested in. I'd like to keep the Denso ECU as I am already very comfortable tuning them.

For those asking....
"Why?": Well, as stated this car is in great condition for the age and I know it's history, I already have a motor and most of the bits and pieces to make it run, I can do all of the work myself, also... why not? A good condition GT would cost a LOT more than this franken-out-berty.

""What about the transmission?! That auto will soil the bed before you can say 8,000RPM of JDM goodness": I've got a STi 6 speed DCCD gearbox that will go in eventually.

"Do the transmission first!": No.

Thanks for the help :D
smen

Return to Outback Country