96' Liberty diagnostics

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

96' Liberty diagnostics

Postby vbevan » Thu May 24, 2007 1:43 am

I'm aware of the diagnostic procedure for the ECU using the connections under the steering wheel (the black and the green ones). What I wanted to know is, is there a way to check the auto box in a similar way?

Perhaps through moving the stick through certain gears while turning the key etc. etc.?

BTW, this is for a 1996 Subaru Liberty GX.

Also, with the ECU diagnostic, both with the normal black connections and the green drive connectors, all i get is the Engine Check Light flashing repeatably on a fast cycle with no slow flashes or breaks. Does this mean no codes?

Two other questions too. What could be making the white build-up on these hoses:

And, what could this button I'm holding be for? It is found under the steering column and a wire leads from it to the box you can see behind my hand.:

vbevan

Re: 96' Liberty diagnostics

Postby Ric » Thu May 24, 2007 8:52 am

vbevan wrote:And, what could this button I'm holding be for? It is found under the steering column and a wire leads from it to the box you can see behind my hand.:

I can't help you with the first part sorry.
That button looks very much like a part of an after market alarm system, I doubt it's a Subaru part.
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Re: 96' Liberty diagnostics

Postby vbevan » Thu May 24, 2007 11:17 am

Ric wrote:
vbevan wrote:And, what could this button I'm holding be for? It is found under the steering column and a wire leads from it to the box you can see behind my hand.:

I can't help you with the first part sorry.
That button looks very much like a part of an after market alarm system, I doubt it's a Subaru part.

Thanks, that would make sense. Do you have any idea what it would do? Tried pressing it and nothing :p

But not really important. Thanks.
vbevan

Postby thumpa » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:43 pm

my guess on the button (being an ex rhino alarm tech);

1. Reset switch to reset alarm and re-learn remotes into the box.

or

2. anti hijack switch. This is a not-so-common feature but a good one if used correctly. With the engine running, and pressing the switch activates the anti hijack which immobilises the car after 20secs. (variable).

with the engine running, press it once and wait. if the car stops after a while - problem solved!
1997 Liberty RX
thumpa

Return to How do I?