Help with door handle 2006 liberty

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Help with door handle 2006 liberty

Postby KeithyGeorge » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:09 pm

Gday all,

I have a 2006 liberty and it appears the rear passenger side door handle (external) is broken, problem is I cannot open the door from the inside either as the child safety lock is on so I am not sure how to go about fixing it?

Will removing the trim allow me to disengage the child lock?

Thanks for any help or tips you can provide.

Mark
KeithyGeorge

Re: Help with door handle 2006 liberty

Postby Lib 3.0LR » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:55 pm

Try and put the window down and use a coat hanger to grab the opening mechanism and pull it up. :idea: :idea: :idea:
Silver wagon MY06 3.0LR/18' STI Enkei rims/STI front lip/STI pedels/STI mufflers/STI flexible bar/HKS panel air filter/Clarion CeNET iPod interface EA1251 /HID lights-fogs 6000k/Led parkers/Bilstien- Eibach springs / Corazon Grill /Brembo's-Dixel pads/goodride-brakelines./Cusco: BRAKE CYLINDER STOPPER /.Valenti Japan LED Tail Light/In Car PC,JDM Front Bar /KiDo Tune more TBA ?[size=85]
Lib 3.0LR

Car: MY06 LIBERTY 3.0LR WAGON.

Postby teK-- » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:57 pm

I don't think with our doors you can use the jimmy trick, since our door handles are connected to the mechanism using sheathed cables instead of locking rods (more secure I reckon).

You may be able to get the inner door trim panel off, but will need to remove the rear seat base, rear seat back, possibly the sill trim, and shift the front seat all the way forward.

There is a guide on here on how to remove the door panels.

Good luck with it!
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby garbo41610 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:59 pm

i can't picture the door trim in my mind atm but is there a way to actually remove the handle from the trim without having to remove the whole trim itself???

alternatively, couple of rags around then end of a long handled screw driver to prevent scratching your paint and try and pry the door out a bit to access the child lock perhaps???
Car(s): Steel Silver MY10 GT Wagon + 1985 Subaru Sherpa

Mods: (GT) HKS Panel Filter. The HKS I put in the MY10 is the same filter I took out of my MY05 GT. So yes, they do fit. Custom leather heel pad to minimise carpet wear in the drivers footwell. Slotted front rotors. (Sherpa) 14'' 6 Spoke mags, Chrome Gear Shift (sick!), Alloy Pedals (sicker!), new positive and negative battery terminals, Alpine cda-9827 H/U, JBL GT 6x9's boxed and mounted (sickest!), Kicker DS650.2 component speakers mounted in the footwells in flibreglass pods, Alpine MRP-F200 4 channel amp (4x40wRMS), Rebadged with hektik chrome eBay badges, STi stickers for more powaaaa, "leather" handbrake boot, recarpetted with grey/black car carpet from Bunnings, sick Clarke Rubber boot mat, polished and waxed.
garbo41610
-stickered-

Car: MY10 GT Wagon Steel Silver

Postby teK-- » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:19 pm

As far as I can remember the interior door handle is fairly well secured to the inner door trim (at least until you remove the trim and have access to the inside of it).
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby KeithyGeorge » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:19 am

Thanks for the replies, either way it seems like I am going to have "fun" fixing it :x
KeithyGeorge

Postby teK-- » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:26 am

If you get really stuck you could always go to a panel repair shop I'm sure they have a way of doing it, since they would have to free damaged and bent doors, faulty mechanisms etc after smashes.
teK--
-stickered-

Return to How do I?